IGNORED

Freesat.

Bill

Sky Freesat, yeah?!

For me, I can't see the benefit

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/what-can-i-watch/

A list of the channels. Apart from the new repackaged Comedy Central, Liverpool FC TV and a couple more music channels I can't see what I'd watch which I don't already get on my £30 Freeview box!

With SKY you pay through the nose each month.

This one, the adverts been on TV a lot recently, "Theres no Catch its free." .......

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

Here you go, i was wondering if anybody had it.

Freesat. Subscription-free satellite TV. There is no catch.

freesat was created to ensure that everyone has the best of free digital TV, no matter where they live in the UK.

We’re now the UK's fastest growing digital TV service with 1.4 million customers, offering 140+ digital TV and radio services, including free HD, freesat+ to record, pause and rewind; BBC iPlayer, with ITV Player coming soon.

Team freesat is a small bunch of people. Just 24 of us at the last count. We’re jointly owned by ITV and the BBC and launched in May 2008. We share your passion for great TV, and believe that everyone should be able to enjoy free digital TV, plus free HD programmes, with no contract and no subscription, just a one-off payment. No catch.

And because innovation is at the heart of everything we do, we’re constantly seeking out new ideas to improve our service and deliver brilliant TV for everyone.

There's FreeSat and there's FreeSat from Sky (also free). Both offer the same channels with Sky offering a bit more

I have had Sky Freesat in the past. It's pretty good, I only had it because my Sky subscription ended and everything was already in place so didn't cost me anything.

You'll need to weigh up what is better for you.

Sky costs £175 including installation for FreeSat (no subscription) but does not allow you to play in HD or pause/record programmes).

To go with something else would cost approximately £80 installation of satellite dish + Cost of your FreeSat box. Be sure to go for a CAI approved installer and get a decent box ;)

The benefit of going this is you can choose which box you want. There are three different types of box you can get Freesat, FreeSat+ which lets you record television to the box and FreeSat HD which offers a better picture on SOME channels.

Just read this on the Freesat site.

If you already have Sky, you can use the same satellite dish to receive freesat.

The dish doesn’t need to move, and you should be able to just connect freesat straight away.

So all you will need is one of these .......

freesat+ Deal of the Week

Buy from Comet for £219.99 save £30

With the freesat+ HD Digital TV Recorder you’ll get all the features of freesat HD, including access to On Demand TV services like BBC iPlayer and ITV Player coming soon. You can pause, rewind and record live TV at the touch of a button-either recording two channels at the same time or record one channel and watch TV on another simultaneously.

New channels and services will be detected automatically by this box, so there's no need for you to re-tune it. An HDMI cable is included.

Model: GUFSDTR500HD

Its similar to the Sky plus box i have, but after a one off purchase of the freesat box there is no monthly subscription.

Bill, if you already have Sky+ you don't need to buy anything. Just cancel your existing subscription and keep the card inside the box, it will become a FreeSat card when your subscription expires. Saves you £220.

You will still have the FreeSat channels.

If it's because you want to upgrade to HD and keep the ability to record programmes then go for something like this:

http://www.richersou...-foxsat-hdr-box

Bill, if you already have SKY you don't need to do anything. Just cancel SKY and your existing subscribing card will become a FreeSat card. Saves you £220.

You will still have the FreeSat channels.

I'm tied to a contract at the moment Louis. plus i like all my sky sport channels. :)

• 9 months later...

Do you still get your broadband down the phoneline or is that via satellite too?

Reason I ask is the poor quality of phonelines where I live and there is no date for updating them that I know of. It is why my internet connection is so slow despite changing ISP.

Down virgin media's own cable.

I went back to Virgin media, not much cheaper but the Broadband is the best i've ever had.

Good luck if you ever have to phone customer services 0151 Delhi, unless you phone to pay a bill in which case you will get someone who can understand English.

Edited by pete0

Good luck if you ever have to phone customer services 0151 Delhi, unless you phone to pay a bill in which case you will get someone who can understand English.

Same with Sky, i rang them every month for the 12 month contract, as soon as it was up i couldnt leave quick enough.

Louis I'm on 30mbps for £17.50 plus my phone........

click to enlarge.

Faster than 84% of great britain.