IGNORED

Player Eligibility In An Irish Context

Hi guys, I just thought I'd share this essay done by a friend of mine on the eligibility issue. I am sure there are quite a few Irish Evertonians with an interest in the matter and it is an excellent resource for those less than versed in the whole affair. Let me know what you think of it.

Link: http://playereligibilityinireland.blogspot.com/2011/06/fifa-player-eligibility-in-context-of.html

Hi guys, I just thought I'd share this essay done by a friend of mine on the eligibility issue. I am sure there are quite a few Irish Evertonians with an interest in the matter and it is an excellent resource for those less than versed in the whole affair. Let me know what you think of it.

Link: http://playereligibilityinireland.blogspot.com/2011/06/fifa-player-eligibility-in-context-of.html

"There is a significant minority community in Northern Ireland that identifies culturally not as British, not as Northern Irish, not as British Irish, but simply as Irish" Got to completely disagree about this, from experience there is a greater divide than i expected, with most Irish people i've met pointing out their Northern or Republic to the point that some will actually correct/inform you if you said they where Irish and shout Northern or Republic respectably. Football wise a can see why most probably supported the Republic because they were higher ranked and had players such as Keane, Duff and Keane, however in the article it states players felt 'Irish' which i guess would mean they would support both? Bit like saying am British if yer from England, Wales, Scotland or N.Ireland

"There is a significant minority community in Northern Ireland that identifies culturally not as British, not as Northern Irish, not as British Irish, but simply as Irish" Got to completely disagree about this, from experience there is a greater divide than i expected, with most Irish people i've met pointing out their Northern or Republic to the point that some will actually correct/inform you if you said they where Irish and shout Northern or Republic respectably. Football wise a can see why most probably supported the Republic because they were higher ranked and had players such as Keane, Duff and Keane, however in the article it states players felt 'Irish' which i guess would mean they would support both? Bit like saying am British if yer from England, Wales, Scotland or N.Ireland

I can tell you, as an Irishman from Derry, that the statement is truthful. There is a significant minority who want nothing to do with being British/Northern Irish. The Northern Ireland team was never the natural national team for me or my family, because well, it's not my national team. My national identity is represented by the Irish national team, that is, the FAI team. I would have maybe kept an eye out for a result or two, but I would never have travelled to Belfast to watch the IFA team play, rather I travelled to Dublin to watch my national team.

The quotes from Shane Duffy, Darron Gibson, Marc Wilson and almost every other kid who's made the switch indicate the same feeling - and it's not just a feeling - it is a legal and cultural fact. They are Irish in every sense.

People from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are technically British, whether one likes it or not. The difference is that in Northern Ireland, there are people who do not wish to represent what is an overtly British entity, because they'd rather play for a a team which, well, is representative of their identity and they are rightly allowed to do so.