IGNORED

Ginola to sue Houllier

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15726014.stm

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14112011/58/ligue-1-ginola-sue-houllier-book.html

About time!!!

What a complete joke and a disgrace Houllier is. Sure you would be annoyed that he didn't hold onto the ball but you don't lay blame solely at his feet and cause years of pain for it!

France needed 1 point from 2 games against Israel and Bulgaria - is that Ginolas fault?

Barnes crossed the ball when he maybe should have held it against Arsenal when they scored their last gasp goal - did Dalglish hang Barnes out to dry? A wingers instinct is to attack.

Houllier over the years has been proven to be a mean vindictive man - his treatment of Robbie Fowler is one example.

Blue, I think Ginola has a strong strong case. If they can attribute that Frances failure was down to him (be it the goal or otherwise) then he would lose. However the goal was conceded after a passage of play where defenders failed to cut out the counter attack.

Houllier has pushed this way too far. Ginolas kids have suffered, he gave Houllier a warning that it needed to stop last year, or he would sue.

Did Keegan leave the blame on Neville for Euro 2000? Does Hoddle continue to bring up Beckhams kick against Simeone? Blimey Gary Stevens giving the ball away to Molby in the cup final angered me but these things happen...Even Shearers unnceccesary foul that caused Campbells goal to be disallowed angered me! But you put them to bed.

Houllier has his health to think about, clearly his vendetta was more important.

what do you mean "even in France"?

Anyway, the applicable French law in this case is the same as in Belgium - (Code Napoléon), and being a lawyer I'd be very surprised if Ginola won this. (based on the facts in both articles).

In the unlikely case he does win, he probably won't get any more than a symbolic 1 EUR.

Even in France.... because French law is (arguably) more strict (or rather more open to a wider interpretation) of defamation. Le droit de la presse allows for simple 'insults' to be considered worthy of a claim,. However, the claimant must choose either defamation or insult, but not both. If the claim is believed to be the wrong definition/category it becomes void. (It takes 3 judges in France)

I can't see a case either. It's no more than "I think you're a cr*p player and cost us too many matches". Entirely a matter of opinion and not presented as fact, and hard to infer it as fact too.

But if a case IS to be won, it will be via the insult and not defamation.

Edited by BlueSky