IGNORED

Alan Irvine on EPPP

Louis

At Everton’s Finch Farm training base academy director Alan Irvine sees only opportunity. The former Newcastle and Blackburn coach and Sheffield Wednesday manager is a passionate advocate of youth development, and works for a club that relies on finding fresh local talent.

Eleven 16 year-olds have played Premier League football and Everton produced six of them. Irvine believes EPPP will help him keep the conveyor belt rolling.

“Our main selling point for young players is opportunity. They can see that if your good enough you get a chance, and this could have a huge effect,” Irvine says.

“Getting increased access to players, having the chance to work with them in daylight hours, will be a huge advantage. It will give us time.

"Say we have a lad scoring goals for fun in the under-10s, but people are looking and thinking he’s not very quick, he’s not going to progress physically, we’re not sure.

“We don’t want to throw away a natural goalscorer because he’s not easy on the eye, and we’ll have got time to do something about it. With all this extra access can you bring the lad out of the session and say this is specific for you.”

Irvine believes Everton will look selectively outside the 90-minute radius, and while the club’s core catchment will remain Merseyside, bringing the best talent together will benefit them all.

“I found that by putting good players together they all improved. The individuals develop the group and the group develops the individuals, and quality goes through the roof.

“If we don’t improve with these rules we are doing something wrong. Either we are either not recruiting properly or coaching properly.

"One of the things about EPPP is that we are more accountable than we have been. All that access takes away excuses.”

http://www.telegraph...ith-rivals.html

I had a look at the link and the page went static and I was forced to close everything down and start again shaking fist.png , what others do is up to them but forewarned is forearmed

There's no argument however that this club really has produced some up and comers the past few years, there can only be more good to come out of it in the future and ones to watch

Do we really give youth a great chance? I would say they get a fair chance - nothing out of the ordinary.

I think they get squad numbers because of the size of ours, but look at Duffy and Barkley, both have been on the bench when we have had a injury problem and we went with playing experienced pro's out of position.

I know some may say "moyes knows his players, trains them etc etc, so he knows best" - but surely he had had great opportunities to play them more, especially this season.

Moyes has done great things with the academy, as I have said before I know a Crewe coach well and he says Everton's scouts and academy team are 'all over the best talent' - my gut feeling is that he has been onto develpoing something and we may be a couple of years away from having a team that will be majority youth academy products, if they are given the opportunity to make the great step.

Interesting enough, this coach attended a seminar at finch farm where they look into young players 'eventual' height and build based on their parents size. I questioned the validity of this based on the fact that 3 of the best players in the world are short. But it does indicate the depth that these people go to.

Interesting enough, this coach attended a seminar at finch farm where they look into young players 'eventual' height and build based on their parents size. I questioned the validity of this based on the fact that 3 of the best players in the world are short. But it does indicate the depth that these people go to.

Depends on position. You don't want a short centre back, you would want someone taller than the norm. Same for build, you don't want some skinny striker (Crouch only exception I can think of) you want a strong/athletic build up front. So it is a valid approach in the right context.

Depends on position. You don't want a short centre back, you would want someone taller than the norm. Same for build, you don't want some skinny striker (Crouch only exception I can think of) you want a strong/athletic build up front. So it is a valid approach in the right context.

yeah to a point, but look at Cannevaro, Baresi, Puyol - absolute class centre halves Puyol the tallest at 5ft 10. Two of the best people i've seen in the air were under 5ft 9 at sunday league level. Technique needs to be the first and foremost factor if we are going to catch up with Spain. The old good big'n will always beat a good small'n does apply to a certain extent but low centre of gravity etc has it's advantages.

Do we really give youth a great chance? I would say they get a fair chance - nothing out of the ordinary.

I think they get squad numbers because of the size of ours, but look at Duffy and Barkley, both have been on the bench when we have had a injury problem and we went with playing experienced pro's out of position.

I know some may say "moyes knows his players, trains them etc etc, so he knows best" - but surely he had had great opportunities to play them more, especially this season.

Moyes has done great things with the academy, as I have said before I know a Crewe coach well and he says Everton's scouts and academy team are 'all over the best talent' - my gut feeling is that he has been onto develpoing something and we may be a couple of years away from having a team that will be majority youth academy products, if they are given the opportunity to make the great step.

Same happens at my local club Haf, Carmarthen town only takes goal keepers that have mothers over 5'' 10! I know we are only talking League of Wales standard but all the coaches are after is ''bring us the athletes and we will teach them the football'' mentality.shaking fist.png