IGNORED

SKY and Football

leoncrosby

I’m currently a student at John Moores University in my 3rd year studying “Fans perception of the impact broadcasting has had on spectator interaction with the English Premier League”. If you would like to contribute to the study findings please follow the link below and complete the questionnaire (Please note al applicants must be 18 years old and above and live currently live within the UK)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YD7535R

Sky didn't kill it

The clubs did.

Everton were one of the handful of clubs that wanted a breakaway league and to go with ITV money (keeping it all for themselves).

ALL the clubs wanted 'TV money', but the majority went for the Sky deal instead.

Sky have done THEIR jobs exceptionally well, it's the clubs who haven't managed the money properly. They've had a fortune handed to them, and they've largely blown it.

Club owners were neanderthal morons in the 80s and little has changed. The majority of football clubs are still a shambles behind the scenes.

What SKY did (and possibly ITV may have done, we'll never know) was show that the traditional thinking (that matchday receipts) was where a club made it's money was outdated, and simply incorrect. Clubs failed to realise that the 40K week in week out crowd was a finite number, with little prospect of expanding or paying much more than they already did. Sky (along with Premier League) showed that the sport was bigger than any single club, and that marketing the 'league' to millions of armchair supporters, or fans who also enjoyed seeing other teams play was the way to go.

A small slice of a MASSIVE pie was much better for clubs than a large slice of a small pie.

The collective power of the league meant that advertisers had a much bigger reach, didn't have to align themselves with any single club, and could 'glam' up the sport via TV graphics and hype..... the rest is history.

Well done to Sky. Shame on the clubs.

Sky didn't kill it

The clubs did.

Everton were one of the handful of clubs that wanted a breakaway league and to go with ITV money (keeping it all for themselves).

ALL the clubs wanted 'TV money', but the majority went for the Sky deal instead.

Sky have done THEIR jobs exceptionally well, it's the clubs who haven't managed the money properly. They've had a fortune handed to them, and they've largely blown it.

Club owners were neanderthal morons in the 80s and little has changed. The majority of football clubs are still a shambles behind the scenes.

What SKY did (and possibly ITV may have done, we'll never know) was show that the traditional thinking (that matchday receipts) was where a club made it's money was outdated, and simply incorrect. Clubs failed to realise that the 40K week in week out crowd was a finite number, with little prospect of expanding or paying much more than they already did. Sky (along with Premier League) showed that the sport was bigger than any single club, and that marketing the 'league' to millions of armchair supporters, or fans who also enjoyed seeing other teams play was the way to go.

A small slice of a MASSIVE pie was much better for clubs than a large slice of a small pie.

The collective power of the league meant that advertisers had a much bigger reach, didn't have to align themselves with any single club, and could 'glam' up the sport via TV graphics and hype..... the rest is history.

Well done to Sky. Shame on the clubs.

Really? BlueSky have you got links to the articles that support this?

1983 ITV obtained a two-year contract from the Football League to show live matches for £5.2m. A four-year deal in 1988 cost £44m.

There was clearly large sums of money available for showing live First Division games. The top clubs felt that they deserved a greater percentage of this money and Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton threatened to form their own "Super League".

In 1992 it was agreed to establish the FA Premier League. The new league was almost identical to the old Football League Division One. The main change was that its clubs would keep all TV revenues. Sky TV, owned by Rupert Murdoch, paid £304m over five years to show a large number of these games live. In 1997 this contract was renewed for £650m.

Everton were one of the clubs (at that time) who wanted to remain with ITV rather than go to Sky, and they also wanted to keep the 'higher revenues' for the top 5 super clubs (at that time). The rest of the league (First division as it was then) voted against.

I don't blame Everton, they were in the elite back then, but it does pay to remember such things.

If (shudder to think) Everton were in the bottom half and someone said "let's half the premier league and form a new 'super elite' - how would Everton feel then?

The problem is, Everton FANS weren't the ones saying it (although I suspect, like most fans, many would have been all for it!), it was the owners. You have no say in the owners, and it was different owners then anyway. Everton then, isn't Everton now.

But still, if we look back in history at most clubs, they've all been greedy, all been stupid and all shafted the fans at some point.

Actually, believe it or not, Alan Sugar was influential in much of it.

Spurs were one of the five wanting to go with ITV... then Alan Sugar came in at Spurs.

Alan Sugar's firm (Amstrad) just happened to be making all the dishes (and fitting them) for Sky! Whether this influenced Mr Sugar, I wouldn't care to say... make your own judgment on that.

Anyway, he broke from the big 5 and decided to vote for the Sky deal, which went a long way to collapsing the ITV deal.

It was a bit more complex than that... but that was a key moment too.

Am i misreading something, or are you implying that I should know all of this as an Everton fan?

noooooo

What I am saying is, it pays to remember (look back) at such things and see how attitudes change depending on how the club is doing at the time.

When a club's doing well, they often don't give a toss about another club, but then they're in trouble, suddenly the 'greater good' comes into play.

All clubs do it. I personally am in favour of the 'greater good' (which is why I give a toss about Everton). The game is great because each club needs each other, and that's why I think all funds should be shared on a 'fair' basis.

Deciding the 'fair' basis is another matter! but it shouldn't be on size of club (otherwise all the big city clubs will be favoured and the small town clubs left behind).

Incidentally, when the Premier League was formed, the rest (football league) clubs were given an option:

1) Take a fixed percentage of the Sky deal (in return for letting them cover matches from lower leagues too). I think it was 20% but I could be wrong on that.

2) Go it alone and sell the rights elsewhere and keep all the money they make.

They chose option 2, because the Football League believed their marketing dept could compete with Sky and would be able to at least earn more than 20% of Sky money.

To be fair, at the time, Sky was new, and nobody was quite sure if satellite TV was some passing fad.

Alas, the Football League made the wrong choice and Sky went on to become an incredible success.

Not quite sure how the 'parachute payment' system was negotiated... I'd be interested to find out.