IGNORED

Broadband question

rubecula

Sorry for being old, but I have a question regarding broadband.

I have had a few ISP's since I got online, currently I am with BT. However, where I live I have awful connection speed. (And it really is bad)

This is due partly to very old landlines that haven't been upgraded since Henry VIII was in nappies. And partly due it seems to the fact I am an "end user" that is I am as far away from the exchange as I can be.

It isn't just me, the whole village has the same problem.

So the question is: Does all broadband come down landlines or do the likes of SKY do it through satellite connection?

(I know mobile broadband is not on a landline obviously but what I was looking at was the possibility of a domestic version)

If such a thing exists, is it any good.

BBC text says that the government wants 300 mbs in the next few years up from 100 mbs, frankly I would like a reliable 1 or 2 mbs as an improvement.

Sounds like you're in an even worse position than me Rubessad.png .

Can't come through satellite connection, it's either land-line or fibre-optic (and I'm guessing you're as far away from getting that as I am).

Mine's improved a little over the years so I can now get about 3.5 mbs on a good day.

Mike I DREAM of 3.5 mbs. I did a speed check the other week and it tells what percentage of the population has faster speed than you do. I had 98.7% of the population with faster speeds. Feel sorry for the 1.3 % worse off, but it is their own fault for living on a desert island on the far side of the moon.

Mike I DREAM of 3.5 mbs. I did a speed check the other week and it tells what percentage of the population has faster speed than you do. I had 98.7% of the population with faster speeds. Feel sorry for the 1.3 % worse off, but it is their own fault for living on a desert island on the far side of the moon.

Oi, you been peeping?!shaking fist.pnglaugh.png

Broadband is better than Landlines as there's no rigging it up to your phones or anything and no contractal agreements. USB's are the best way foward as I use Vodafone and despite some problems lately with connections and lengthy customer service departmental calls it has worked the last week touch wood. I used to be on 3 mobile which was five fifths of fucking useless, connection kept going off, they stole your credit once, and even now there's some issue with the network where things are inoperative. I never looked back after changing companies