IGNORED

5-3-2? (next season)

I've been thinking what with Moyes love in with Jags and Johnny's passing range is 5-3-2 something we should be looking at playing next season? Baines and Seamus bombing down the flanks and a nice compact midfield? It would certainly be an option i think.

Howard

Heitenga

Jags Dystin

Seamus Baines

Rodwell/Gibbo Felli Peinaar

Barkley

Jelavic

-----------------------------------------------howard-------------------------------------------

---------------------Jags--------------------Jonny-------------------Distin------------------

Coleman----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Baines

-----------------------------Gibbo-----------Fellaini---------Pienaar/Barkley--------------------------

--------------------------------Jelavic------------------Cahill----------------------------------

could do with another striker, hope we keep pienaar as well

It would be a good way to fit our three first team centre halves into the line up, but we'd need more centre backs if we were to make this our long term system. Distin won't be around/good enough for much longer, which would leave us with just Jags, Johnny and Duffy.

In a few seasons, if we keep most of our squad together I'd happily see a line up of

Howard

XXX - Heitinga - Jagielka - Baines

Felli - Rodwell

Drenthe - Barkley - XXX

Jelavic

With the gaps filled by possible Coleman and Gueye, but if we're serious about the club going places, I personally think we should be looking at players like those 2 as squad players at best.

Barcelona couldn't make the formation work, I doubt we could. I just think its a waste of a player having 3 centre backs, especially playing with a defensive centre mid infront, its not an area of the pitch I would like to see alot of the play happening so I don't see the value of putting extra men there.

Formations are fluid not rigid, 4-5-1 is only such when we don't have the ball, 4-4-2 when we do, fine, I like the idea of not getting over-run in midfield, however there is an art to it. I don't see link up threes in attack or defensively, ie press high and hunt in packs of three, get the ball and use it in threes. If we can not do this which is really pretty basic coaching lessons then I doubt very much a change in formation will do any better. Address these issues and we just might be heading in the right way. West Germany played with a sweeper behind two centre back in the 70's and 80's if I'm not mistaken, worked for them, mind you they did have the ''Kaiser'' in that position, who at the club has the ability and tactical nous to play there? Heits?

The problem for me with the way we are playing is the gaps between Defence and Midfield, and more obviously Midfield and Attack. I don't see how playing an extra centreback as a sweeper helps this all. I agree with playing Baines and Coleman as the fullbacks and giving them more freedom to attack but I think this could be done with 2 centrebacks and Felliani playing in front of the back 4. I think this does more to plug the gap between defence and midfield and gives us an extra body further up the pitch to plug the gap between midfield and Attack.

The problem for me with the way we are playing is the gaps between Defence and Midfield, and more obviously Midfield and Attack. I don't see how playing an extra centreback as a sweeper helps this all. I agree with playing Baines and Coleman as the fullbacks and giving them more freedom to attack but I think this could be done with 2 centrebacks and Felliani playing in front of the back 4. I think this does more to plug the gap between defence and midfield and gives us an extra body further up the pitch to plug the gap between midfield and Attack.

Ah, true words. The question seems to be does the team rely on two up front or a dedicated centre forward with a player in ''the hole''? I hate to admit it, but Moyes is right playing his system, it is just we have not got a Modric type player, this will give us totally new options going forward, perhaps alien to some of our coaching and tactical thinkers at the club, heaven forbid!!! Jesus I thought the term sweeper went out with ''inside forward'' et all.