IGNORED

Alternative XI for England Squad

theres an alternativeXI going round on twitter, didnt want to fill up the other thread.

Hart; Richards, Jones, Lescott, Baines; Gerrard, Parker; A Johnson, Osman, Rooney; Holt

Think that would be a better effort to be fair....

Guest Nikica

This would be my team at the moment, putting Rooney's supension to the side. Bear in mind you have to evaluate the other teams as well, but this would give England a good base:

Hart

Richards Rio Lescott Cole

Carrick Barry

Sturridge Gerrard Johnson

Rooney

I went with Lescott and Rio based on form. Cole is still the best left-back, although Baines would be a good shout. Richards for me is England's best RB and deserves his chance.

Carrick and Barry provide a sold base for the front four to play.Carrick is a good reader of the game, as is Barry, and both are decent passers. You need discipline in the 2 in a 4231 - discipline which you won't get from England's Brave Scotty Parker running around like a headless chicken. Carrick and Barry isn't going to strike fear into other teams either, but it's the best England have, unless we add Scholes to the equation. Lampard isn't a midfielder who can control games, he's a goalscoring midfielder, like Gerrard, which is why the two have never and will never work together. I rate Gerrard more highly in the hole than I ever would Lampard, so I would have him there. Up top he can use his passing and shooting to create, whilst being taken out of the centre. This way his positional indiscipline won't hurt the team.

Rooney would be told to be the main striker and not drop deep and clog up Gerrard's space. The wide players are a bit of a muchness,I don't think either of the two I have selected deserve to start but I'd still have them ahead of Walcott, Lennon, Downing etc.

This is all pointless of course as Roy will probably go with his 442 with a 'big man' up top.

Edited by Nikica