IGNORED

ESPN Premier League Assessment 2012-13

Hi guys,

This is the start of the long article by ESPN by way of a Premier League club guide 2012/13:

"With the new Premier League season looming around the corner, here is a brief guide to all 20 Premier League clubs. Manchester City's last-gasp triumph last season gave every football neutral an exhilirating finish to a topsy-turvy season. With many stars like Eden Hazard, Santi Cazorla and Shinji Kagawa set to join the action, we gear up for what looks like an exciting new campaign ahead of us."

Full article: http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item836021/Premier-League-club-guide-2012/13

It'd be interesting to have opinions back. On the one hand it's a useful presentation, with useful stats, players in and out. But, in my opinion it's way too predictable - 'Key man' choices are either the most famous long-term hero or an obvious goalscorer. And the 'Chances' are not really 'chances' because they don't take chances – there are no surprise elements, simply the best teams of always are again suggested to do the big things.

That seems to be the general media opinion too, that the new boys will struggle, virtually everyone else is fine. But we heard the same last year, yet teams who had been in the Premier League for many years were finally relegated. I obviously have a vested interest, as a fan of new boys Reading, but it'd be interesting to read any of your views on this ...

cheers,

daib0

Gets annoying how they continue to say Everton punch above their weight. The top 3 teams all have a former Everton player in their starting eleven (Lescott, Rooney, Arteta). We still have Fellaini, Osman, Baines, Heitinga, and Jags who wouldn't look out of place in any of those teams. We also have 3 ex-united players and 2 of the most promising youth players in the league. Although it's a vague assessment, at least this one acknowledges us as challenging for top 6, unlike some others who every year knock us below Liverpool, Spurs, and sometimes even Villa.

The key player is a bit silly as it's a team sport and not many build their game around one player. Even Arsenal who were banded as a one-man team looked more lost without Arteta than if RVP missed a game. Likewise Man U without Vidic really struggled, or Liverpool without Lucas (although they do centre round Gerrard so are a one man team in that sense, with Fulham/Dempsey being the only other I'd consider). They should say best player, or do a more in-depth analyse of key attributes.

Gets annoying how they continue to say Everton punch above their weight. The top 3 teams all have a former Everton player in their starting eleven (Lescott, Rooney, Arteta). We still have Fellaini, Osman, Baines, Heitinga, and Jags who wouldn't look out of place in any of those teams.

This - looking at our standings in the last few seasons, you'd be hard pressed to say that we're punching above our weight. If any of these idiotic journalists have ever properly watched an Everton game (especially ones after Christmas... for the obvious) we hardly look out of place. But then again, maybe it's better this way - less expectations and we can just fly under the radar and surprise them all.

yep, I'm basically agreed with both of you. There's little depth to these reports - just look at final tables last two or three years and think according to that it should finish x, y, z. But things don't always play out like that, and though some might be disappointed - for example, I accept that Reading are many people's first thought about relegation probabilities - I'd prefer some couragous articles coming out ...