IGNORED

Capital One Cup vs. FA Cup

I was just about to provide a comprehensive answer.

Damn it, I won't be beaten.

Being quick, there are two major cup tourneys in England, The FA cup is the big one, started as far back as 1872, and the League Cup, which is inferior and often trivialized, which start date was back in season 1960-61

All winners of the FA Cup get a passport into Europe (except before 1955 and after 1985 and before 1990) while it changes every year for the League Cup, getting a success doesn't guarantee a place in Europe.

Everton have won the FA cup five times, but never the league cup, being runners up twice (Yes most will be aware but merely making a comparison)

Having two different main competitions is standard issue in most European leagues now.

There has been talk of scrapping the League Cup every now and again, and only having the main competition to aim for, but as of yet, no breakthrough. I don't think many would miss it to be truthful.

The main practical difference, putting aside history and kudos, is that the League Cup under its various sponsors has been open only to "league" teams....so the ninety two teams in the top four tiers get to take part.

The FA Cup has around six hundred teams entered every year and has many preliminary and qualifying rounds....so that theoretically, and sometimes in reality, a village team may get to play a premier league club.

Basically saying the FA cup starts in around October (or even September of all things) before the actual first round games and the League Cup starts in August, but finishes in March (or is it even February now), and even then it used to be April.

(They fuck around with the damn competitions so often you really can't keep up anymore)

Furthermore the likelihood that any village side will progress far enough to play someone from the EPL is between slim and non existent.

It can happen, for arguments sake it is possible to occur, but with such infrequency or probability to occur again, it's hard even saying it.

Histon played Leeds a few years ago, but the home side were not quite so small, and the latter was in the second division at the time (championship league)

For example - of LIverpool playing some team that wins 'best kept village in Dorset', It's unlikely to happen.

Hope that helped you out

Basically saying the FA cup starts in around October (or even September of all things)....

Earlier than that....week end beginning Friday 10th August it started for the Extra Preliminary round this year.

Liversedge 2 West Auckland Town 4 was a notable game because the attendance was equal to the number of goals scoredunsure.png .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_FA_Cup_Qualifying_Rounds#Extra_Preliminary_Round

People in attendance - 6 ?!

WTF, and I have never heard of such a thing. Where do they play, in a matchbox. That must be one model stadium.

I looked up, They play at Clayborn stadium and the ground capacity is 2,200.

I don't know what happened there that day. must have been some good entertainment in town or something.

Attendance '6' - got to love that