IGNORED

Toffees - history of the nickname

One thing about having a name like ours, it can be open season for some embarrassing media hacks to come up with some taglines, such as "Everton survive relegation by the thickness of a sweet wrapper", "Toffees endure a sticky time" or "Moyes has (had) something to chew over" etc. But it's unique in itself and wouldn't swap it with anyone, Toffees are Everton, it fits perfectly well, even though it's actually Everton mints you can purchase, that are the real delicacy.

In the simplest terms, name came about, from a store close to the ground named Old Mother Nobletts (?) that sold candies and other merchandise (toffees inclusive doubtless) and it derived from there. Actually here's a link which just about describes all there is to glean from this issue.

Got to agree, the Toffees recognition, is better than simply "The blues", which merely gives us a distinction between another horrible color in the same city. Read below - if only for the end bit. (Everton was once full of wild animals)

http://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/everton/

Like I've said, there are lots of sites out there talking bollocks, and they all copy one and other.

Not to be outdone by the inventive Mrs Nobletts, Old Ma Bushell pulled a masterstroke of marketing acumen. She gained permission from the leaders of the Club to distribute her Everton Toffees to the crowd inside the ground as they waited patiently for the kick-off.

She must have had a great walking stick, as to get to the ground to do business at 150 or so years old was quite a challenge. :rolleyes: Maybe she phoned up for a taxi and caught a kebab on the way.

Actually, that's not too far from the truth there.

And remember years ago, dinosaurs were rampant over parts of europe, so it's perfectly feasible that some variety of beast, be it a Brontosaurus, Proterosuchus or Diplodocus could have been seen over Stanley Park and surrounding areas.

Probably Marco out on the piss.

Great to read all this history ,I've got a few pics of the area shamelessly copied of a doctors wall who used to live and work in everton .great stuff .

Great stuff Ray.

Thanks very much and a big welcome to the forum. I have lots and lots of images, but I don't have those, so very nice of you to share them.

I've learnt quite a lot about Everton village during my research. Funnily enough, Everton have never actually played in Everton in their entire history, (Goodison is in Walton) and the tower was an object of annoyance that most wanted removed ha ha. I'd love to post loads of stuff, but it will make the page I've been constructing less interesting when done, so I'm going to hold back the urges to give everything away too soon.

Hope you stick around. They're a good bunch on here.

Edited by Avinalaff

Speaking of club team recognition, and I think about it sometimes, but are we no longer "The Peoples Club" ?

After all, it was David Moyes who introduced the slogan or tagline, by saying "The people on the street (in the vicinity of Goodison Park) are Evertonians, They support Everton"

Very astute observation by Moyes, maybe if he ever went to Pride Park arena he would find people on the street support Derby County, or Tannadice stadium, Dundee United etc etc etc.

Or if that doesn't work, suggesting possibly that everyone's second favorite club team is Everton ? Never quite bought into that.

Thing is, seeing as we have a new manager, is the 'people's club' thing, still operative. It was Moyes who brought it in, I never did quite take to it, and we already have the club name such as we have here 'Toffees' and of course 'blues' but as before, that's only a distinction between the other color of the other team in the city of Liverpool.

It's unlikely to go, even now we have a new manager, and Martinez would be totally indifferent about it for sure, but never could sit quite happy with that particular name recognition. I don't want Martinez calling us 'El equipo mas azul' or anything or whatever he decides, but now that Moyes has gone, and it was his idea, is the tagline still viable. No funny business.

Speaking of club team recognition, and I think about it sometimes, but are we no longer "The Peoples Club" ?

After all, it was David Moyes who introduced the slogan or tagline, by saying "The people on the street (in the vicinity of Goodison Park) are Evertonians, They support Everton"

Very astute observation by Moyes, maybe if he ever went to Pride Park arena he would find people on the street support Derby County, or Tannadice stadium, Dundee United etc etc etc.

Or if that doesn't work, suggesting possibly that everyone's second favorite club team is Everton ? Never quite bought into that.

Thing is, seeing as we have a new manager, is the 'people's club' thing, still operative. It was Moyes who brought it in, I never did quite take to it, and we already have the club name such as we have here 'Toffees' and of course 'blues' but as before, that's only a distinction between the other color of the other team in the city of Liverpool.

It's unlikely to go, even now we have a new manager, and Martinez would be totally indifferent about it for sure, but never could sit quite happy with that particular name recognition. I don't want Martinez calling us 'El equipo mas azul' or anything or whatever he decides, but now that Moyes has gone, and it was his idea, is the tagline still viable. No funny business.

We can no longer call ourselves The People's Club (3 seasons ago?) following some idiot market trader, who sells scarves and other paraphernalia from a stall in Williamson Square, who bought the right to use the name on his merchandise and banned Everton from using it.

Rumours are he is an Everton Season ticket holder but most claim he is a red and after visiting his stall a couple of years ago to see what he is about there was more red than blue for sale amongst his tat.

When he bought the rights to the name the banner across the back of The Park Stand was change from 'The People's Club' to 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'.

• 4 years later...