IGNORED

RIVALS

i could not find a thread to post this in so i made one lol.

i know that liverpool are one of our biggest rivals but just want to know what other teams are and for what reasons. as i am not from england i am only aware of the main stream rivalry with Liverpool and my personal rivalry with Chelsea. so can anyone shed light on the topic of who they are and the reason i.e fan rivalry, manager rivalry, location etc.

i could not find a thread to post this in so i made one lol. i know that liverpool are one of our biggest rivals but just want to know what other teams are and for what reasons. as i am not from england i am only aware of the main stream rivalry with Liverpool and my personal rivalry with Chelsea. so can anyone shed light on the topic of who they are and the reason i.e fan rivalry, manager rivalry, location etc.

Obviously Liverpool are our main source of rivalry. Before the Premiership started, Liverpool were by far the best team in the land, enjoying the same kind of dominance as United do today. What made things worse was when Everton had a good period during the 80's, only for Liverpool fans to get us kicked out of Europe. This hurt us badly and our team made their separate ways, but now Liverpool are much more within reach, so the rivalry is probably as big now as it ever was.

Because Liverpool and Manchester are the 2 biggest Cities in the North West of England, there are cross city rivalries too. Liverpool and United in particular, being the top 2 clubs in the country historically, but when ever we play Manchester United or Manchester City, it's generally a big game to win.

Liverpool, United, and City are now our biggest games of the season in terms of local pride.

In terms of challenging for the spoils in the Premier League, there becomes a different kind of rivalry, as England tends to be split up into North West (as above), North East (Newcastle, Sunderland, Hull etc), The Midlands, containing such teams as West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Birmingham City, Aston Villa etc, and the South East (London), such as your Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Fulham etc.

We tend not to worry too much about the North East sides, or the East / West Midlands sides in terms of rivalry, although Villa would stand out historically as a huge team, but the teams in the South, more so the London area, than anywhere else become a want to win game again, as not only is there a big North South divide in this country, but the main football powers have always been from the cities of Liverpool, Manchester, and London.

Of the London sides, we are probably more determined to enjoy victory over Arsenal, more than the others, as they are the best historically of the Southern sides.

Before the bankrolling of teams, I'd say the biggest teams in the country were Liverpool, United, and then Arsenal. Everton would probably come next in terms of league titles, and although Villa and Sunderland have won many titles between them, they tend to be less successful since the war.

With the bankrolling of teams, Chelsea and Manchester City, and probably even Spurs have pretty much paid for success with big wallets, so beating them is also satisfying because of that.

My own personal 'biggest' matches are Liverpool and United.

thanks for the explination avinalaff makes it a lot easier to undestand the rivalries and why we have them. another question i have aswell is who do you consider as our freidly teams or feeder clubs etc.

and excuss the ignorance i dont know to much about the history of the club or the league but what did you mean when you said liverpool fans got us kicked out of eurupoe in the 80's?

thanks for the explination avinalaff makes it a lot easier to undestand the rivalries and why we have them. another question i have aswell is who do you consider as our freidly teams or feeder clubs etc.

and excuss the ignorance i dont know to much about the history of the club or the league but what did you mean when you said liverpool fans got us kicked out of eurupoe in the 80's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysel_Stadium_disaster#Juventus_1.E2.80.930_Liverpool

In 1985, 39 lives were lost and hundreds injured during a Liverpool v Juventus cup final at the Heysel Stadium after crowd trouble. I don't really want to go over it in detail mate, as it just brings up bad memories, but you can get the jist of it yourself here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6560000/newsid_6568700/6568777.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2

As a result, English teams received a long ban from European competition, which unfortunately for us, was at a time in our history when it was Everton who were the top English team, and with it, we lost the opportunity to push on as a result.

Be warned though that it's live commentary and a little disturbing.

Google will tell you the rest with a quick search.

Edited by Avinalaff

dont dislike Liverpool because of their history, for the most part thats the only reason for any respect they may deserve.

I have a massive amount if distain for the club because of the way it conducts itself and its (mostly) delusional fan base.

Dont hate many other clubs, those I do have been managed by Fat Sam...

Edit: apparently missed an important word!

Edited by Matt

nha i wouldnt hold it agianst them now it was way before my time i have watched epl for a few years with out any team just watch it for the quality of football (we only have a-league and they are lucky if they can manage simple 1-2 pass haha). i have never liked the club(liverpool) or the players but the main reason is the supporters not the english ones(as i dobt really know any) but as you may have seen from the freindly they played in the preseason in melbourne. there are a lot of liverpool fans in australia and the main reason i despise them is becasue they will talk about how good steve g is or the donkey or how succefull the team is but then you ask them so how long have you been supporting them"oh for years" then i actually try and talk football to them and well :doh: they havent watched any games or know anything about liverpool bar what main stream media or fifa 14 has tought them (plus they are very arrogant and stuck up)

Liverpool would seem to be the biggest rivals as part of the City hostilities and challenging honors etc, but many of them seem to have Manchester United as their main rivals, while Everton comes second. I think there's more animosity sometimes between those two clubs, than there is for Everton and Liverpool in general. Someone mentioned the Heysel incident from 1985 that prevented British clubs from being involved in european play for a good five or six years, but it's one of those bite your tongue subjects isn't it. However you feel personally, whatever occured often seems brushed under the carpet with regards to Hillsborough four years later where Liverpool get all the fucking sympathy and play the victim cards, and you feel you can't say anything about that night in Brussels, or it never occured. It's simply one valid reason why I don't like Liverpool. Whether Hillsborough occured, or if it did not, the fact remains, they were responsible for the deaths of 39 Italian supporters that night and it prevented us from having a real run in the European Cup, and I think that team we had at the time with Kendall, was good enough to be european champions in 1986, but instead we had to sit it out because of some awful behavior bringing shame to their club, and instead the trophy eventually went to Romania, whereas it should have been brought back to Goodison Park to go with the ECWC we had won the previous year. But it's no good crying over spilt milk, but it's just one reason why I have genuine distaste for them. Add to that we used to recieve a number of significant defeats from them going back far enough, such as the two FA Cup Finals and other games of importance such as the semi-finals in 1971 and 1977.

Used to be a substantial rivalry with Leeds in the late 1960s also with Catterick's Team and the side they had with Don Revie. There was some very memorable games and the two teams had a very intense rivalry for a few years. Add to that, we could never manage a win at Elland Road - something that didn't change until Rooney was playing a few years ago.

There's no real rivalry with Manchester United, even if some disputes with Moyes have come to the fore recently. They got an agenda with City and Liverpool above all else, and as with ourselves, Leeds for a short time. No (Everton) rivalry with Manchester City either, at least none that I can ascertain. There was that Lescott / Mancini business a few years ago, but other than that, no real hostilities between sides.

Liverpool would seem to be the biggest rivals as part of the City hostilities and challenging honors etc, but many of them seem to have Manchester United as their main rivals, while Everton comes second. I think there's more animosity sometimes between those two clubs, than there is for Everton and Liverpool in general. Someone mentioned the Heysel incident from 1985 that prevented British clubs from being involved in european play for a good five or six years, but it's one of those bite your tongue subjects isn't it. However you feel personally, whatever occured often seems brushed under the carpet with regards to Hillsborough four years later where Liverpool get all the fucking sympathy and play the victim cards, and you feel you can't say anything about that night in Brussels, or it never occured. It's simply one valid reason why I don't like Liverpool. Whether Hillsborough occured, or if it did not, the fact remains, they were responsible for the deaths of 39 Italian supporters that night and it prevented us from having a real run in the European Cup, and I think that team we had at the time with Kendall, was good enough to be european champions in 1986, but instead we had to sit it out because of some awful behavior bringing shame to their club, and instead the trophy eventually went to Romania, whereas it should have been brought back to Goodison Park to go with the ECWC we had won the previous year. But it's no good crying over spilt milk, but it's just one reason why I have genuine distaste for them. Add to that we used to recieve a number of significant defeats from them going back far enough, such as the two FA Cup Finals and other games of importance such as the semi-finals in 1971 and 1977.

Used to be a substantial rivalry with Leeds in the late 1960s also with Catterick's Team and the side they had with Don Revie. There was some very memorable games and the two teams had a very intense rivalry for a few years. Add to that, we could never manage a win at Elland Road - something that didn't change until Rooney was playing a few years ago.

There's no real rivalry with Manchester United, even if some disputes with Moyes have come to the fore recently. They got an agenda with City and Liverpool above all else, and as with ourselves, Leeds for a short time. No (Everton) rivalry with Manchester City either, at least none that I can ascertain. There was that Lescott / Mancini business a few years ago, but other than that, no real hostilities between sides.

You can't half tell your not from Liverpool DK.

Your accounts are straight out of a history book again.

Rivalry isn't all about hatred. To even suggest there is no rivalry between ourselves and the Mancs is mind boggling. :dont know: