IGNORED

Everton-related movies or documentaries?

thoward18

A bit off topic here but I guess also largely on topic: Are there any movies or documentaries or something of that sort I could watch on the history of Everton?

Two of my favourite games are available on dvd, and Everton history documentaries are around.

There was a great old TV play called The Golden Vision about the wonderful Alex Young (see my sig below this post) In black and white as it is old but good viewing.

Oh the two games I mentioned above, 1 Everton V Bayern Munich, European Cup Winner's Cup semi final second leg (wednesday 24th April 1985) I was there that night and I near lost my throat with roaring the lads on. Best night ever.

and 2. Everton 4 - Liverpool 4 The greatest Cup Tie Ever. Quote from of all people Kenny Dalgish. " If there has ever been a better cup tie than this I wish somebody would send me the video".

Best place to get a historic documentary of Everton would be the Club shop I think. Everton Ultimate Cup Collection DVD

Opps hope you can still read that anyway they do have a selection of Everton DVD's there

Edited by Rubecula

A bit off topic here but I guess also largely on topic: Are there any movies or documentaries or something of that sort I could watch on the history of Everton?

There is an official history DVD - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everton-The-Official-History-DVD/dp/B000U55UI2

But honestly, it's not very good. J A Corbett's review on Amazon sums it up for me. It was pretty lazily done and was a rehash of interviews from the 80s and others from a night out where you could hear plates being put down on the table in the 'background'.

There's one called "My Everton" which is aimed at kids, it covers the basics but is recent-ism and covers mainly the players who playing at the time of the DVD's release.

The BBC film Rubes mentions is now on Youtube. It was made in 1968.

There have recently been a few unofficial (not made or sanctioned by EFC) made DVDs but I haven't seen them.

Alan Ball Remembered (various EFC related people talking about their memories of Alan Ball)

Thank god for football (which covers the early days and profiles the lives of the founders of EFC)

There's also ongoing work into a spin-off sequel to the 1958 programme.

Best one I ever saw was The Official History release, narration by John Motson, which covers everything from the earliest days as Saint Domingos, playing at Anfield, right through the Dean era, Catterick, Lee and finally Kendall, taking in epic moments such as the 1933 and 1966 (1984 also) FA Cup Finals, en-route to league championships (1963, 1970, 1985 etc) and about there's plenty to take in. This was released to home audiences in 1988 so it only goes as far as Kendalls first time in management here, but if you can grab a copy, it's a must see for any supporters of this club. I don't think it was ever released on DVD format though, and was only ever available on VHS as far as I can ascertain

Another title worth a watch was Evertons Striking Years which featured six of the clubs greatest ever center forwards, that is Royle, Latchford, Lineker, Beardsley, Gray and Sharp, (Gray as presenter) and special games featured and special moments respective to each playing individual. Also highly recommended if you can find it.

Best one I ever saw was The Official History release, narration by John Motson, which covers everything from the earliest days as Saint Domingos, playing at Anfield, right through the Dean era, Catterick, Lee and finally Kendall, taking in epic moments such as the 1933 and 1966 (1984 also) FA Cup Finals, en-route to league championships (1963, 1970, 1985 etc) and about there's plenty to take in. This was released to home audiences in 1988 so it only goes as far as Kendalls first time in management here, but if you can grab a copy, it's a must see for any supporters of this club. I don't think it was ever released on DVD format though, and was only ever available on VHS as far as I can ascertain

I've got that one.....just no VHS player to watch it on :(. My last one died years ago and buying a new one (if indeed it's possible) would be pointless.

They may be obselete (everything seems fucking digital today) but why not purchase another (in fact they may give them away now)

Point being, we've still got a VHS recorder, and around 250 films to choose from (have two or three DVD players also) so they still come in useful, and above all else, all those titles, can't watch them any other way, so really no alternative, and if you want to see the official history release, a home recorder would appear the only viable way to watch. I never could get used to DVD's (they scratch easy and half the screen disappears with most titles) so happy (if that is the word) to hold on to what was once familiar and indulge in an array of movie releases and viewing experiences.

I've got that one.....just no VHS player to watch it on :(. My last one died years ago and buying a new one (if indeed it's possible) would be pointless.

Get yourself a new dvd with a vhs player. I got one years ago and copied all of my old VHS to DVDs. Theres players around for around 100 quid. Well worth it compared to handing your VHS tapes to a professional.

You can ask the BBC for it if you were a participant, they'll send it out for free. If you were a streaker, the chances are they won't.

The official DVD is the same as the VHS for the most part.

Seriously? I (sadly) didn't get my question selected and didn't even get to contribute but the guy sat next to me did get selected so I'm in glorious close up on several occasions :happy:. Was a fair few years ago now though (hence it being on VHS).

• 3 years later...

Watching the original Dunkirk film last week,

John Mills is a squaddie trying to get to Dunkirk on foot after losing his platoon. He is with a few soldiers that he is in charge of. He sees a British Tommy on a motorbike and stops him for info.

The Tommy is suspicious incase he is really a German , so he asks him who won the league last season.

Mills is stumped, and then says there was no league due to the war, his mate on the other hand says that EVERTON won it the year before tho..and that was enough to convince the Tommy that Mills and Co were Brtis.