IGNORED

Betting companies - open to abuse?

I just glanced through the list of sponsors of EPL teams. A big majority (but not all) of the teams are sponsored by a betting company. Dafabet, for example, is the principal sponsor of Aston Villa and also sponsors Everton. SBOBet sponsors several teams. Bodog is a third Asian betting sponsor. Haven't recent suggestions of rigged games involved, in particular, Asian betting syndicates? Isn't this a huge conflict of interest?

Personally, no matter what the financial impact, I would much rather that betting companies not be allowed to sponsor sports teams.

I doubt there is much conflict of interest, but I'm no expert. I imagine the 'syndicates' leading the corruption are collections of dodgy individuals / criminals, rather than employees or representatives of the actual betting companies that sponsor the teams. So they would still be doing the same thing regardless of who was sponsoring the teams? The betting companies will be as much against match fixing as the clubs, as they will lose money. So no doubt they invest time and resources into their own monitoring of the market and investigations

I doubt there is much conflict of interest, but I'm no expert. I imagine the 'syndicates' leading the corruption are collections of dodgy individuals / criminals, rather than employees or representatives of the actual betting companies that sponsor the teams. So they would still be doing the same thing regardless of who was sponsoring the teams? The betting companies will be as much against match fixing as the clubs, as they will lose money. So no doubt they invest time and resources into their own monitoring of the market and investigations

Nonetheless, betting companies stand to lose or gain huge sums of money based on the outcomes of games. That is one big temptation.

• 1 month later...