IGNORED

The Independent: Neutrals should hope Everton qualify for the Champions League

Louis

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/ian-herbert-why-the-neutral-football-fan-should-be-cheering-for-everton-to-finish-ahead-of-liverpool-and-earn-a-champions-league-place-9089274.html

The fact that Everton are even under discussion for fourth place is little less than a miracle and to the neutral an unalloyed delight, considering that their limited resources have actually made them an example of Financial Fair Play in practice for the past decade. Their own innovations include the lease-back scheme for their Finch Farm training base, which has earned them £13m in a deal with a city council that has shown imagination under the auspices of directly elected mayor Joe Anderson. But their ultimate innovators have been Moyes and Martinez, men who know that there is no money to waste in the transfer market.

For 10 years, Everton have bought low, sold high and just about kept up. If Liverpool make the Champions League ahead of them, there is a good chance that the gulf between the two clubs will expand to a size which their wealth suggests ought to exist. But if Everton make it, by finishing ahead of Liverpool for the third successive year, they will hold on to their coattails for a little longer. The last time they made the Champions League, in 2006, Moyes was named manager of the year and Martinez would deserve at least the same. His accomplishment would be even greater, given the chasm that has opened up between the elite clubs and the rest in those intervening eight years.

To be fair, I didn't note it in the Match Day thread and probably deserves its own thread.

I for one would be over the moon, unfortunately I can't see it. If we had a full strength squad throughout the season, it may have been possible but I think teams around us won't be dropping too many points and there's 4 good teams vying for just one spot.

I can only hope.