IGNORED

Cocaine Drink

Danish_Reg

A NEW energy drink that crashed parties in the US last week is called Cocaine, and its makers are billing it as "the legal alternative" to the drug.

The drink's maker maintains that "doing Cocaine", the beverage that is, gives a bigger and better high without the crash other energy drinks cause.

They say a high hits within five minutes, followed by a caffeine boost 15 minutes later. The ride lasts five hours and the concoction is "350 per cent stronger than Red Bull", they claim.

They argue the effect is part chemical - the drink uses "simple" sugars that don't need to be broken down by the body to create a sugar buzz, and a much larger dose of vitamin B12 - and part psychological.

"When a person sees the name of the drink, some psychological effect happens and the person is already experiencing the energy buzz before they even open the can," speculates Cocaine inventor Jamey Kirby, whose company, Redux Beverages, is based in Las Vegas.

"I can think of no other product except real cocaine that could have that effect on the public."

Taste-testers say the drink hits hard. "It does give you a little rush," one sipper said.

Another hated the feeling the drink gave her. "I don't like the tingly feeling in my chest. I feel my heart racing and I'm not being paranoid . . . I feel looped."

Kirby said an ingredient was added to slightly numb the throat to add an oral sensation much like cocaine does.

The company is marketing the drink to partygoers.

The Sun