IGNORED

Ruben Loftus-Cheek

10 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Fair, in that I don't actually care whether they're from a foreign league or the EPL.  Not trying to make an anti-local point, just that we need to "seek better value". 

An EPL premium seems to get applied almost irrespective of actual performance, resulting in their being an opportunity for better ROI outside it.

You’re right but I would say it’s justified by having a player who has already experienced EPL competition. Even with a good player from a foreign league that’s always a big question mark. I’m sure we can all think of recent examples of a player not being suited to the English game. 

22 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

Fair, in that I don't actually care whether they're from a foreign league or the EPL.  Not trying to make an anti-local point, just that we need to "seek better value". 

An EPL premium seems to get applied almost irrespective of actual performance, resulting in their being an opportunity for better ROI outside it.

I get that, but there is a fine line between risk and value. Unfortunately we need high value and low risk right now, which makes it even harder. I suppose that’s why we’re after Tarkowski and a deal for Erikson could be handy too. 
But I worry about players coming in from abroad, we pay over the odds as a premier league team and they can’t hack it. But there lies the risk. 

16 hours ago, StevO said:

I get that, but there is a fine line between risk and value. Unfortunately we need high value and low risk right now, which makes it even harder. I suppose that’s why we’re after Tarkowski and a deal for Erikson could be handy too. 
But I worry about players coming in from abroad, we pay over the odds as a premier league team and they can’t hack it. But there lies the risk. 

Low risk and high value isn’t really a thing without spending a lot of money. At least they wouldn’t be viewed as high value to begin with. 

• 5 months later...