IGNORED

Saving Someones Life

SimonButtle

I work as a support worker and today i had to save a clients life, the guy had tried to cut across the road in his wheelchair and a truck was driving past, i had to pull the chair back in a split second otherwise he'd have been underneath it, it scared the shit out of me, some mad things have happened to me at work, but that is something that will stay with me forever, i can't stop thinking about what might have happened, anyone else had any near fatal misses?

Nice one Si...nothing quite so immediate but I've been on the other side of the fence as an addiction counsellor...lost a few I mean (like to think I might have helped save one or two also, but not possible to prove).

I (posted this before) was saved by an illegal Polish worker once upon a time, probably why I'm so soft on illegal immigration :lol: .

Nice one Si...nothing quite so immediate but I've been on the other side of the fence as an addiction counsellor...lost a few I mean (like to think I might have helped save one or two also, but not possible to prove).

I (posted this before) was saved by an illegal Polish worker once upon a time, probably why I'm so soft on illegal immigration :lol: .

what happened mike?

what happened mike?

Briefly..November '93 had been off work for a week feeling exceeding shitty but was getting so far behind I went in on the Sunday to try to catch up a bit. Got there and my boss took one look at me and called a cab to send me home 'cos I looked so ill. By chance his girlfriend (Polish "student" working illegally) was with him and persuaded him (and me) that I needed the cab to take me to hospital and within a couple of hours I was in intensive care with pneumococcal pneumonia...also had three and a half litres of fluid on my lungs trying to drown me from the inside. No question at all that if I'd had gone home I'd have died.

Funny enough it was the best thing that ever happened to me, really turned my life around after that....and they all lived happily ever after :lol: .

where i work, it's a unit for people with brain injuries, we have people who have suffered the problems of addiction or who have been in serious RTA's and some have just had operations that have gone horribly wrong which have all lead them to having a brain injury, they come from all walks of life with all sorts of problems, it's very interesting to see how brain injuries can change peoples personalites and behaviour, C4 did a documentary last year on two of our clients who live on the unit.i have epilepsy myself that was why i got into the job in the first place, i wanted to help people who had similar problems to me.

where i work, it's a unit for people with brain injuries, we have people who have suffered the problems of addiction or who have been in serious RTA's and some have just had operations that have gone horribly wrong which have all lead them to having a brain injury, they come from all walks of life with all sorts of problems, it's very interesting to see how brain injuries can change peoples personalites and behaviour, C4 did a documentary last year on two of our clients who live on the unit.i have epilepsy myself that was why i got into the job in the first place, i wanted to help people who had similar problems to me.

Its not walton hospital by any chance? My mum had a brain hemourage (sp) about 15 years ago and got took there and I was told she might not make it through the night, she did, had an operation and is still cooking the best sunday dinners ever

Si, before this thing grows arms and legs, can I suggest you go and speak to a professional about the experience. I have been under the cloud of PTSD for over 15 years now, and because of this place in Scotland where I am now (och aye the noo) I have only just been able to face my issues.

Don't let this one fester mate.

ATB

Mac