IGNORED

Old Positions

Right & Left Midfield & if you said Inside L & R -> Right & Left sided strikers basically mate ( But still central).

Funny the term Striker has evolved or been used more in the last 20 yrs or so, never used the term when I was young'n.

It was deemed a bit Naff like the word Soccer.

Trying to think how best to describe...not easy so I resorted to Wikipedia..

In 1884, Blackburn Rovers (England) introduced what would become the first long-term successful formation — the 2-3-5; this was originally known as the Pyramid with the numerical formation being referenced retrospectively. By the 1890s it was the standard formation in Britain and had spread all over the world. With some variations it was used by most top level teams up to the 1940s. For the first time a balance between attacking and defending was reached. When defending, the two defenders (fullbacks) would watch out for the opponent's insides (the second and fourth players in the attacking line); while the midfielders (halfbacks) would watch for the other three forwards.

The centre halfback had a key role in both helping to organize the team's attack and marking the opponent's center forward, supposedly one of their most dangerous players.

It was this formation which gave rise to the convention of shirt numbers which is still used today.

So basically you have two full backs, three midfielders (centre, left and right half) then centre forward and inside and outside left & right. I can remember being coached at primary school for the front five to play in a "W" formation...that is the centre forward and outside right and left staying in attack pretty much the whole time while the inside left and right both dropped back to help out the midfield and defence. Strangest difference I guess to today is that the centre back (singular) was considered a midfielder.

Thanks Mike.. cleared that up a bit :)

Right & Left Midfield & if you said Inside L & R -> Right & Left sided strikers basically mate ( But still central).

Funny the term Striker has evolved or been used more in the last 20 yrs or so, never used the term when I was young'n.

It was deemed a bit Naff like the word Soccer.

Brings back a memory. As a kid I remmeber thinking the word striker was naff and it was more of an american soccer magazine name than a position.

Numbers 1 to 11 in the old formation, substitute was number 12. ( only one allowed in them days.)

Looking down the pitch from the Goal.

Right ...............1 howard..................... Left.

.........2 hibbert...................3 naysmith

......4 neville .........5 yobo...........6 lescott

7 osman..8 cahill....9 beattie...10 johnson...11 arteta

Sub .. 12 Ronaldhino. :)