IGNORED

Arshavin

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, a truly excellent post - although there is one small flaw, McFadden never had a place in our first team, only as back-up which is why he is being sold. I don't think Moyes would spend 9m on Arshavin to plan on having him on the bench from the outset, which leads me to believe he would potentially be replacing someone, the question would be who...

So we can't have quality players on the bench as well? I'd like to think we're past the stage where we sell good players just because we got someone new in who is just as good, if not better.

So we can't have quality players on the bench as well? I'd like to think we're past the stage where we sell good players just because we got someone new in who is just as good, if not better.

If you mean buy Arshavin to put him on the bench then unfortunately Calico, we don't live in some Everton utopia. NO WAY is Moyes going to buy a player for £9m if he only thinks he is back up for the first team, especially when Arshavin is an experienced international (I think) player, we're not Man Utd yet. We have players like Lee Carsley who only has a year or two left, we only have Pienaar/Fernandes on loan and we don't have that much money, so Moyes isn't about to spend £9m on a player who isn't essential. AJ cost about £9m and is sitting on the bench, but only because he isn't very good, Moyes bought him to be first choice like he did Yakubu, Lescott, Howard etc etc all his big signings another words.

edit: I may have misunderstood you there Calico - if you mean we sign Arshavin and keep AJ for the bench then I can see your point and that was fair enough, I personally would still sell him though and raise money to secure Pienaar, Fernandes and a DM asap.

Edited by carlmc25

yes, a truly excellent post - although there is one small flaw, McFadden never had a place in our first team, only as back-up which is why he is being sold. I don't think Moyes would spend 9m on Arshavin to plan on having him on the bench from the outset, which leads me to believe he would potentially be replacing someone, the question would be who...

Can't really see a flaw - He has not being sold becasue he is back-up (all squads NEED backup) he is being sold be casue we are getting a decent price on a player who is in all likleyhood is never going to make as a first team starter. He has had plenty of time at the club, so his time is up.

Now look at things logically -

Arteta - worth say £15M+

Cahill - Worth around £8- 10M

Fernandez - we know was talked about in the £12m bracket

Yakubu - £11M

AJ - £10M in todays market

(don't want to argue about values - these are only rough estimates)

McFadden - sold for £6M (and can't really get in the first 11 at Everton)

So to me, considering if every single player is available for a starting place, to be in with a decent chance of challenging for a starting place you need in theory to be a player in the £8M+ bracket. So at the price being banded around for this chap it doesn't say to me he will have to have a nailed down starting place, but you would expecting him to make a bloody good challange at the very least, and isn't that what we all want.

Injuries, suspensions, internaional commitments, more than 1 game a week. If we want to be a 'proper' top 4 contender then we are going to NEED to bring in additional player of Arshavin's potential.

Now if somebody does move on in the summer becasue Arsharvin is the dogs then so be it - I would much rathers us be in the position where Arshavin/Fernandes (or whoever) have bedded in at the club for half a season. Rather than a star turn go and then have to search the market for a repalcement on a ad hoc basis.

Player get older and move on, its all part of the game.

Other than buying teenagers with potential or emergency cover we are now shopping in the £8M plus bracket for our attacking players even to be competative squad members.

Can't really see a flaw - He has not being sold becasue he is back-up (all squads NEED backup) he is being sold be casue we are getting a decent price on a player who is in all likleyhood is never going to make as a first team starter. He has had plenty of time at the club, so his time is up.

Now look at things logically -

Arteta - worth say £15M+

Cahill - Worth around £8- 10M

Fernandez - we know was talked about in the £12m bracket

Yakubu - £11M

AJ - £10M in todays market

(don't want to argue about values - these are only rough estimates)

McFadden - sold for £6M (and can't really get in the first 11 at Everton)

So to me, considering if every single player is available for a starting place, to be in with a decent chance of challenging for a starting place you need in theory to be a player in the £8M+ bracket. So at the price being banded around for this chap it doesn't say to me he will have to have a nailed down starting place, but you would expecting him to make a bloody good challange at the very least, and isn't that what we all want.

Injuries, suspensions, internaional commitments, more than 1 game a week. If we want to be a 'proper' top 4 contender then we are going to NEED to bring in additional player of Arshavin's potential.

Now if somebody does move on in the summer becasue Arsharvin is the dogs then so be it - I would much rathers us be in the position where Arshavin/Fernandes (or whoever) have bedded in at the club for half a season. Rather than a star turn go and then have to search the market for a repalcement on a ad hoc basis.

Player get older and move on, its all part of the game.

Other than buying teenagers with potential or emergency cover we are now shopping in the £8M plus bracket for our attacking players even to be competative squad members.

I agree, but we already have Yak, AJ, Vaughan (who Moyes has big hopes for) and Anichebe so I don't think Moyes would spend £9m on another striker when a) we don't have that much money to go round spending £8m+ on every player and B) we have other areas (DM, LW, RB) that need strengthening more urgently due to either lack of numbers and/or quality and ageing legs.

If Arshavin can play LW effectively then fair enough, if he's got the ability then sign him up whatever the cost, but if he's £9m and a striker, when we already have enough quality strikers at the club sitting on the bench, then quite frankly unless you sell AJ it's just throwing away money which we don't have, AJ's value will just plummet by the week if someone else comes in ahead of him.

Also McFadden is being sold because he is back up, however you word it that's what it boils down to, if he was first choice he wouldn't be sold. If someone offered a good price for Arteta, Cahill, Yakubu, Lescott do you think Moyes would sell? Yes he wouldn't have been sold if we didn't get a good price as you do need cover, but the bottom line is Moyes knew McFadden was slipping down the pecking order and this was the best price we'd ever get for him so he got rid and no doubt he will bring someone in. But he won't be paying £9m to bring in another McFadden who sits on the bench every week, not if he can help it anyway. If he pays £9m for Arshavin, then I expect him to be first choice and sooner rather than later. We're not quite Chelsea yet.

One of the really nice things about picking up a player like Arshavin is that he's versatile. I personally think he'd probably fit into the first team plans on a weekly basis but that he might move around a bit. Right now we have Phil Neville doing that sort of thing on the defense end and I think we could have a much better player in Arshavin doing that on the sharp end.

Don't know that we'll sign him though. I can't really see Moyes letting out close to ten million in January for a player who is already Cup tied in Europe. Since the Russian league is already in pre-season training (Dubai I think) I can't see a loan coming along either.

I think he'd be a great buy in the long run but perhaps not ideal cover for the rest of this season. Unfortunately by summer time I think he'll be tied down somewhere.

One of the really nice things about picking up a player like Arshavin is that he's versatile. I personally think he'd probably fit into the first team plans on a weekly basis but that he might move around a bit. Right now we have Phil Neville doing that sort of thing on the defense end and I think we could have a much better player in Arshavin doing that on the sharp end.

Don't know that we'll sign him though. I can't really see Moyes letting out close to ten million in January for a player who is already Cup tied in Europe. Since the Russian league is already in pre-season training (Dubai I think) I can't see a loan coming along either.

I think he'd be a great buy in the long run but perhaps not ideal cover for the rest of this season. Unfortunately by summer time I think he'll be tied down somewhere.

good post, if Arshavin can do a job across the whole of the offensive line (AM, Winger and Forward) then he is most definitely worth his weight in gold. We need another winger big time and someone to cover the Cahill role if necessary and a quality link man up front wouldn't go amiss either. We need exactly this type of player, Arteta could probably do a job in a number of positions but hopefully Arshavin may have that extra pace and directness that we need. It's exciting times at Everton, every season Moyes keeps strengthening the team and he seems to be getting better and better at it, we could really be challengers on all levels with one or two more inspired signings. I still would like us to tie up Pienaar and Fernandez asap as well.

I'd also like to add that this would send out a very clear message to the premiership & beyond (EU) IMO, if we go out & sign Arshavin because he is on paper & reputation wise a very handy player & along with our current squad / situation teams would I believe start taking us very VERY seriously!! I'm not saying we'd go on an go for the league title any time soon BUT why the fuck not!?!?!? If we can get the likes of Arshavin & sign our loan players in the summer along with maybe another 2 good signings (Appiah etc..) the good times really could be upon us!!!

BRING IT RIGHT ON!!

Go get him moyesy!!

Carl, carl, carl.... why can't Arshavin keep Cahill/Arteta/Pienaar on the bench or them him?

You cannot say he will DEFINITELY be a starter... the point of us having extra quality to challenge higher in the league is that players like the four I've mentioned might spend a few games on the bench. Or would you rather put all the pressure on Cahill, Pienaar and Arteta with no quality back up such as Arshavin?

Carl, carl, carl.... why can't Arshavin keep Cahill/Arteta/Pienaar on the bench or them him?

You cannot say he will DEFINITELY be a starter... the point of us having extra quality to challenge higher in the league is that players like the four I've mentioned might spend a few games on the bench. Or would you rather put all the pressure on Cahill, Pienaar and Arteta with no quality back up such as Arshavin?

You don't seem to get what I'm saying! I know what you're saying makes sense, what I am disputing is that at this moment in time we are not at the level, financially, were we can get players like Arshavin in as back-up as we need to replace players such as Carsley, sign the likes of Fernandez and Pienaar permanently and we don't have that much money. If Arshavin can play anywhere in attacking midfield/attack then great, sign him, but if his position is either up front or in Cahill's position then I think we don't need him unless we sell AJ. If he's a left winger then great. I'm not saying I don't want the guy here, (as I would be really excited if we signed him and if we then got Appiah, Fernandez we could challenge for the title :)) but that we have more pressing priorities and I'd rather we secured Fernandez and a DM (Appiah) before we get luxury cover. You don't need to spend 9m to get excellent cover, just look at Arteta and Pienaar!

yeah i agree would love him. but there are other places we can strengthen first.

right how come everytime i see we need a DM i see appaihs name alll the time is there no1 else in that position

he was linked a few times but yet everytime he still gets mentioned. to me thier must be nothin in it or we'd still be gettin linked now.

sorry to write this but it jus gettin a bit annoyin now!

I see what you mean, carl, and I agree.... for the most part. I am partial to the idea, though, that if we got someone like Arshavin in to go along with the quality players we have now then maybe Cars and Neville(he plays DM whenever Cars doesn't, from what I remember) will not have such pressure on them so we're desperate to replace them right now. However, I can also see that if we got in a DM, CB and possibly a winger that we would have a more balanced team, and squad, so that makes more sense. I still favour the former, but each to his own I suppose.

Also, I'm not sure if Moyes can pull many, if any, more rabbits out of the hat as he did with Arteta so I still think luxury cover would cost more money than that... As far as Pienaar, we don't actually know how much he'll cost so we'll wait and see.

I see what you mean, carl, and I agree.... for the most part. I am partial to the idea, though, that if we got someone like Arshavin in to go along with the quality players we have now then maybe Cars and Neville(he plays DM whenever Cars doesn't, from what I remember) will not have such pressure on them so we're desperate to replace them right now. However, I can also see that if we got in a DM, CB and possibly a winger that we would have a more balanced team, and squad, so that makes more sense. I still favour the former, but each to his own I suppose.

Also, I'm not sure if Moyes can pull many, if any, more rabbits out of the hat as he did with Arteta so I still think luxury cover would cost more money than that... As far as Pienaar, we don't actually know how much he'll cost so we'll wait and see.

Im pretty sure that the Piennar fee is already agreed at £2.5M. As for Arshavin IMHO its a no brainer he is top class and the figures getting bandied about are reasonable so sign him!

It would be great if the fee was so small. Here's hoping...

Oh.. and as for AJ, the first half at Wigan has just finished and are you sure you'd still sell him, carl? :P

Also, if we had Arshavin then Ossie could play centrally and we be playing a lot better.

:) I'm delighted he's scored and he could have had an assist also, so it seems churlish to criticse, but I'm going to! I thought he looked fairly useless in the first half and was getting frustrated with his lack of anticipation and hold up play! but he scored and if he keeps scoring then obviously you can't really complain. I'd still rather see Vaughan play though!

Well, he hasn't been playing much but he looks much sharper than recently to me. Also, the service and support has been virtually non-existent and even the Yak couldn't do anything with that. If Manny comes on in place of Hibbert or Neville then we may see an improvement...shit, own goal by Jags.

The money talked about transfer wise is so different now - the norm has definately gone up a level in the last 12 months, likely due to the Prem tv money. But I would think given higher league positions, UEFA cup football, higher club profile and commercial deals going with this, more TV appearences etc has all added up to give us much better finacial clout than we have had for a while - also given the fact that we now actually poses a fairly valuable squad - i.e we have around half a dozen player on the books that would fetch in the order of £10m to the club in one hit if some injection of cash is needed. £6m has just come in of McFadden, I didn't see that much coming in!!!. If that is a reflection of prices these days then, £8-9M on Arshavin doesn't look to be particually recless spending to me.

For me bringing in a player of his experience and undoubted quality - (Isn't he the captain of the Russian team (who knocked England out of the European Championship) and the captain and number 1 player of the current Russia league champions.) is the most logical step.

It looks like the player is available - and whats to come to the UK. We either put in a bid if he is a player Moyes wants, or we see him turn out in a Newcastle shirt or similar. Everton are now a fairly fashionable club, that player what to join (and not becasue we wave an open cheque book at them). We are well and truly battleing for a Champions league place at this moment in time - when trying to attract player to the club - make use of it!!

He is also in pre-season at the moment - so is going to be a fairly fresh player for the business end of the season.

We are a top 6 club at the moment, to be a realistic and regular top 4 club challenger over a number of season we do need that strength in depth. We need to buy the Ashavins of this world if the chances present themselves.

Yes, we do need stregthening in other areas - but I see Arshavinn as a creative force as well as a goal scorer and wide player, and these players are not two a penny. Arteta does need some seriouse competition and assistance in this department.

Well said rob.

If he is available and interested in coming here for that money it's a no brainer. Yes we do need other position to be strengthened considerably, but if we don't take him I feel fairly certain he'll be somewhere else in the league and we'll likely regret it. The only real downside I see, as I mentioned before, is that he wouldn't be eligible to play for us in the UEFA cup this year. However, our real goal should be the CL and he's the type to get us there.

18:07 January, 21, 2008

Newcastle United Football Club have entered the race for Andrei Arshavin

The 26-year-old Zenit St Petersburg midfielder has revealed an ambition to play in England, with Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur linked with the Russian skipper earlier this month.

"Of course I want to play in England," he said.

It is now believed that Kevin Keegan has entered the race for Arshavin, and is willing to pay around £7million to take him to St James Park during the winter transfer window.

As well as that is there also anyone here who has seen Arshavin play over the past few years? It'd be nice to know if he is as good as people are making out before we buy him.

U didnt watch any russia-england games or were he injured then? He should be Russias captain...