IGNORED

Fa Cup Draw

At least three non-Premier League sides assured of a place in the last eight...

Bristol Rovers v Southampton

Cardiff City v Wolves

Sheffield United v Middlesbrough

Liverpool v Barnsley

Manchester United v Arsenal

Preston v Portsmouth

Coventry City v West Brom

Chelsea v Huddersfield Town

...possibly more. Can see Sheffield United beating 'Boro and Preston will have a shot against Pompey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well at last report England was on top of the Fair Play standings, and if they can stay up there that will mean one extra UEFA Cup place. But even if that happens (and no one will know if it does until the season's over), the margin for error is still very, very slim right now, especially with so many teams at the top playing well.

Well at last report England was on top of the Fair Play standings, and if they can stay up there that will mean one extra UEFA Cup place. But even if that happens (and no one will know if it does until the season's over), the margin for error is still very, very slim right now, especially with so many teams at the top playing well.

Just posted that here JD..http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry118847...great minds eh :D ?

Holy schizznit, Chelsea's out too! Against Barnsley! What in the wide, wide, world of sports is going on here? :huh:

Wonder what kinda odds you could've gotten from the sports book on ManU and Chelsea both losing today. You'd probably be a very rich man right now, that's for sure.

So - who's up for an FA Cup semifinals of Portsmouth vs. Cardiff and Barnsley vs. Bristol Rovers? :D

Edited by JD in DC

I'm glad to be free of the burden of supporting ManU and Chelsea tbh, specially with results today our place in Europe, even if it's only Intertoto, is looking pretty secure unless we completely self destruct.

Bristol Rovers would be classic, my wife grew up in Bristol and always supported them and my dad adopted them when he moved to the West Country, he's not around to see it but he'd be delighted with how they're doing. Barnsley deserve to be in the final for sure but Pompey have to be favourites....as long as 'Boro don't reach the final...yawn.

Edited by MikeO

Portsmouth

Cardiff

West Brom

Barnsley

Who'd have thought it?

I bet the FA are upset, they moved the semis to wembley so they could get more money to pay for the stadium.. I can't see those 4 filling it for the semis or the final :o

Well I'll bet every fan those teams have who can afford a ticket is going to be scrambling to go if they can; this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most of them. Portsmouth's last trip to the FA Cup final was in 1939, Cardiff's last was in 1927, and Barnsley's last was in 1912. Even for West Brom (who's actually won it five times) it's been 40 years since their last finals appearance. I'd certainly try to go if I were a fan of one of them, because who knows when the chance might come again?

As for me, I'm going to be rooting for Barnsley from here out to finish this Cinderella run of theirs. Anyone who can burst the balloons of Liverpool & Chelsea both is okay in my book! :D

I forgot about this little side issue...it's in the news that the FA won't allow Cardiff to participate in Europe even if they win the FA Cup. Quote:

"The Bluebirds come under the jurisdiction of the FA of Wales, even though they choose to play in English competitions. This leaves them in limbo as neither association can nominate them for Europe - the FA because Cardiff are Welsh and the FAW because they do not play in their competitions."

Sucks for them, but I guess if they knew those were the rules and chose to stay in the Football League anyway, then it's a bit late in the day to complain about it.

I find that statement quite bizarre, what are Cardiff doing in the league if they are not under their jurisdiction, surely if they are playing in the English FA CUP and playing in the English Football League they must come under the jurisdiction of the English FA. :huh:

I'm sure if they failed to fulfill a fixture or played an illegal player the EFA would have something to say about it, i mean they've been playing in the English league for nearly 90 years, so to say they are not under their jurisdiction seems an absolute load of bollox.

Typical of the FA to have their heads stuck up their arses when a decision has to be made. Total Idiots. :angry:

Strange discrepancy and a shame for them (Cardiff)....what would be the position if Berwick Rangers ever qualified for Europe? And Monaco have no problem taking their place when they've earned it.

Reminds me of a bit of useless trivia...how were there three English League teams in the quarter finals of the 1971 European Cup Winners Cup?

Answer is fairly obvious given the thread, Man City Cup holders, Chelsea FA Cup winners and Cardiff Welsh Cup winners from the days before the LOW existed.

Incidentally (unbelievably), for the younger majority who don't know their Cardiff history :P ...

QtmFiTCLObo

...sadly for them lost the away leg 2-0.

Edited by MikeO

Strange discrepancy and a shame for them (Cardiff)....what would be the position if Berwick Rangers ever qualified for Europe? And Monaco have no problem taking their place when they've earned it.

I don't know what the deal is with Monaco, but I would assume it has something to do with the fact that Monaco's FA is not a UEFA member (or even recognized by FIFA) and has neither a league nor a sanctioned cup competition of its own.

I think the rule of thumb is normally that if the home nation has its own league and/or Cup competition, a team is expected to qualify for Europe through those competitions rather than someone else's. I don't know how that explains Derry City, though, since they've been allowed to compete in Europe when they've won Ireland's FAI Cup even though they're based in Northern Ireland.