IGNORED

Toffeetalk Player Of The Season 2007/08

ToffeeTalk player of the year 2007/08 is Joleon Lescott!

He piped long-time leader Phil Jagielka by one point after taking five points from the last two games. Steven Pienaar got a creditable third in his first season.

pollresizear5.jpg

Results V Villa

#3 Pts - Fernandes

#2 Pts - Lescott

#1 Pts - Yakubu

--------------------------------------------------

2007/08 FINAL STANDINGS

-----------------------------------------

.......... 30 - Joleon Lescott

...........29 - Phil Jagielka

.......... 23 - Steven Pienaar

.......... 20 - Leon Osman

...........18 - Manuel Fernandes

.......... 17 - Mikel Arteta

...........17 - Andy Johnson

...........16 - Aiyegbeni Yakubu

...........14 - Tim Howard

.......... 14 - Leighton Baines

...........13 - Lee Carsley

...........12 - Tim Cahill

...........11 - Joey Yobo

........... 8 - Phil Neville

........... 6 - James Mcfadden

........... 4 - Tony Hibbert

........... 2 - Alan Stubbs

........... 2 - James Vaughan

........... 1 - Tommy Gravesen

........... 1 - Victor Anichebe

---------------------------------------------------

its pure madness

You voted for it :P .

Not you personally DMc of course but I just get the one vote same as everyone then add them up :) .

It does seem a bit weird but that's how it went.

Yobo's ridiculously low also in my view....maybe we need to re-think the points system for next year.

Emailed the club with the result and just got this back :D .

"I am absolutely delighted to have been awarded Player of the Year by those who use Toffeetalk.com

Any award from supporters is always very special. I am very grateful. We enjoyed a good season - and we hope to do even better next time around. Enjoy your summer - and thanks again." ...Joleon Lescott.

that was well just one of the fella's in the office pretending to be J'Lo :P

bizare how high fernandes finished and how low cahill & yobo finshed

gravo's point will have been for when he came on against bolton

i rekon you should email the club back for a laugh saying there was a mix up in the votes thats now ben cleared up and its become apparent hibbert was the TT player of the season

I don't think democracy is perfect, and that's why the number of votes for different people doesn't represent how good/bad they've been. You hear some fans on phone-ins and that sort of thing, and you wonder if they watched the same game.

Let's be honest, how many times do you talk to someone about a game, and, as passionate as they are, it's obvious their understanding of the game is really bad, and they don't realise at all where the game was won and lost? Obviously people have different opinions, and I'm sure I'm wrong about plenty of things, but you can get a sense when you're talking to someone if they understand the ins and outs of a game, whether you agree or not.

Having said that, I don't think anyone can argue with Joleon

I think this poll must once and for all prove this forum isn't for the thinking Evertonian!!! :)

I mean, who in their right mind could vote AJ for more man of the matches than Yakubu? Fernandez for more than Carsley or Cahill? As for Lescott, I can see why he won (as he scored 10 goals and received loads of hype, even though he cost us a few goals with lapses) but for me this poll is criminal. Yobo, Carsley and Yakubu (in no particular order) and possibly Lescott were my players of the season.

Its all about personal choice tho Carl, and most Evertonians have their favourite players who would get their vote even tho they did'nt have an outstanding game. My choice .. Howard, Pienaar, and Osman in no particular order, is completely different to yours but over the extended period of a full season i think the top 3 or 4 in the list would be about right overall.

Well done to Joleon and Jags and in fact the whole squad for a very good season. :)

You also need to bear in mind that it's an accumulation of Man of the Match rather than pure Player of the Season, and as such people who've stood out in a relatively few games may have got a fair few points when you wouldn't consider them for POTS when looking at the year as a whole. That's why Manny is so high, finished the season getting two or three points most games whereas Joey just lives up to our normal level of expectation week after week, so maybe we take him (and others) a bit for granted.

You also need to bear in mind that it's an accumulation of Man of the Match rather than pure Player of the Season, and as such people who've stood out in a relatively few games may have got a fair few points when you wouldn't consider them for POTS when looking at the year as a whole. That's why Manny is so high, finished the season getting two or three points most games whereas Joey just lives up to our normal level of expectation week after week, so maybe we take him (and others) a bit for granted.

Definitely and I agree with Licker as well, favourite players are definitely voted for even when they have contributed little on occasion. I can semi understand the Yobo one, he is criminally underappreciated and taken for granted week in week out but possibly due to the fact he goes about his job quietly and efficiently, but the one I can't fathom is Yakubu. The guy has scored 21 goals and looks an absolute class act, the best striker we have had in many, many years - yet he's hardly picked up any points! Madness, I don't know what more he could have done, especially considering the lack of a decent strike partner and still a lack of creativity in the team (and he was away at African Nations!).

Maybe we should just have a player of the season poll at the end of the season instead of counting motm's!

It does need a rethink for next season, it throws up some odd results as it is. At least we got a winner I think few would argue with.

The OS however (if you applied the same 3-2-1 points system) is even weirder and emphasises big time the "voting for favourite player" problem!

44 - Arteta

23 - Jagielka

22 - Lescott

22 - Yakubu

15 - Cahill

14 - Pienaar

13 - Johnson

13 - Fernandes

11 - Howard

7 - Osman

7 - Baines

5 - Carsley

4 - Wessels

4 - Yobo

3 - Hibbert

3 - McFadden

3 - Gravesen

2 - Neville

2 - Vaughan

Arteta wins by a country mile and Joey comes in tied with Wessels :o .

Edited by MikeO

I really like the 3-2-1 system. It measures the game-by-game impact that we as fans think the players had on the game.

Lescott saved us in numerous games. Can't really argue with the end result in that.

The reality is players like Joey Yobo and Tim Howard will never be at the top of these rankings just because if we win 1-0 the MOTM will be the one who scored the goal, not the defensive performance of either of these 2.

For awhile earlier on, some people if I remember questioned the Yak's work effort even though he was scoring. I think that's why he ended up not getting as many points.

I think a different award takes away from the accomplishments of the seasom MOTM winner.

THINK THE ONLY WAY YOU COULD GET AROUND THAT IS IF YOU VOTE ON THE WHOLE TEAM FOR MOTM.

11 points for MOTM and reducing in numbers until the worst player ends up with one point, any subs spend less than 20mins on the pitch also receive one point, only subs for a full 45 minutes or more can be given more points than other team mates.

Thats a bit Complicated so you could try my Plan B.

Plan B ...

You can leave it as it is but just alter the scoring, the best three in the voting get 4-3-2 points and the rest of the players who took part in the game receive one point.

With this system YOBO who lets say plays 40 games, would not finish lower than Fernandes who might only play 14 games, so unless Fernandes played a blinder every week he does'nt deserve to finish above Joey as player of the season.

I think that might point the way to a fairer guide over a complete season.

These are only suggestions that may or may not help, Its your baby MIKE leave as is, or find another system, its your choice.

I don't know if there any solutions really, some people will just vote for their favourite regardless. The only thing I can think of is maybe just having one winner of man of the match rather than a 321 system, this would hopefully lead to people really thinking about who they want to vote for and considering the game, rather than picking someone who they think had the best game first, then picking players they personally like 2nd and 3rd - which is what I think may be currently happening in certain cases. There is only one man of the match, so why have a 2nd and 3rd motm?

Actually, I think that's probably a crap idea. Why don't we just mark players out of 10 every game?! that may work...

First part doesn't work because you only get one vote anyway, not a 1-2-3, it's totalled and then the 3-2-1 awarded.

Second is a possibility, but you'd still get people giving, say Hibbo, zero every week.....plus the fact I'd have to do a lot more adding which may make my brain ache :) .

First part doesn't work because you only get one vote anyway, not a 1-2-3, it's totalled and then the 3-2-1 awarded.

Second is a possibility, but you'd still get people giving, say Hibbo, zero every week.....plus the fact I'd have to do a lot more adding which may make my brain ache :) .

oh yeah, what a tit! I forgot you only actually vote for 1 and then the 2nd and 3rd just get calculated automatically! Adding is fun :)