43 replies to this topic

#41 AndyF

AndyF

Tony Hibbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 Aug 2009 - 10:04

The thing with Duncan, is that had he not had so many injuries (especially the back problems) he would have no doubt scored a lot more than he did! He's probably also the only Everton player, and maybe one of the only players of the last 15 or so years who would have loved playing in the 70s/80s with the real hard nuts! I wonder if this is also why people class him as a legend, because he was a 70s/80s type of player....???

#42 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 31 Aug 2009 - 10:22

I grew up on Ferguson, always had his name on my shirt guarenteed. Met him about 4 times throughout the years, have a signed shirt and endless signatures from the family enclosure as the players arrived. He created a buzz that you rarely get with players at present, a buzz I am sure players from the history books also created.

But...

By no means do I hold Ferguson as a Legend, he is part of my memories of Everton growing up but to become a legend in my eyes you have to achieve something and drive the team to achieve something. Ferguson didn't do this he just created a buzz of "what is he going to do today".

#43 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,035 posts

Posted 31 Aug 2009 - 16:05

In your opinion

Do you not think it is a little arrogant and indeed ignorant that you are passing off the views of thousands of Evertonians as laughable?

but you are doing the same, are you not? hes laughing off people calling him a legend, your laughing off people saying he isnt.

I grew up on Ferguson, always had his name on my shirt guarenteed. Met him about 4 times throughout the years, have a signed shirt and endless signatures from the family enclosure as the players arrived. He created a buzz that you rarely get with players at present, a buzz I am sure players from the history books also created.

But...

By no means do I hold Ferguson as a Legend, he is part of my memories of Everton growing up but to become a legend in my eyes you have to achieve something and drive the team to achieve something. Ferguson didn't do this he just created a buzz of "what is he going to do today".

great way of putting it, i feel/felt very much the same.

Edited by StevO, 31 Aug 2009 - 16:08.

#44 duncanmckenzieismagic

duncanmckenzieismagic

Howard Kendall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,611 posts

Posted 31 Aug 2009 - 19:29

but you are doing the same, are you not? hes laughing off people calling him a legend, your laughing off people saying he isnt.

great way of putting it, i feel/felt very much the same.

Nope

I have been arguing the point that he is a legend to a lot of people and if you go back through my post Ive agreed with the Marmite analogy. I have never said anybodys opinion is laughable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users