IGNORED

Why Big Dunc Was/is King!

Its starting to wind me up that people are writting him off as a thug and whats with all the head butting nonsense?

How many players can you say that you have seen him head butt and before anyone jumps on the band wagon and says that is what he was jailed for get a life. If that was a head butt half the players in the football league would be banged up by now. Even the opposing player spoke up for him at the trial.

It was a which hunt and Ferguson payed a heavy price for it, now my memory may be clouded but that is the only so called head butting incident I can ever remember him being involved in, feel free to correct me if Im wrong

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but its utter crap to try and make him out to be some kind of talentless moron who only ever went around punching and butting people

He was a hard centre forward who gave as good as he got. Its a contact sport and in those days many a centre half would kick lumps out of a forward to try and intimidate him

Was Dave Watson a thug? Was Tommy Smith a thug? Was Stuart Pearce a thug?

Spot on!

Its starting to wind me up that people are writting him off as a thug...

And it winds other people up that people are calling him a legend.

It's not something that people are going to change their mind on (Marmite analogy someone mentioned was spot on). Think it's best left alone....it'll be back time and again for sure though :) .

I had the privilege to meet big Dunc twice. Once when he came into Kirklands, where I used to work and then when I went for a photo with the FA cup in Littlewoods in town. Got to the front of the queue and he remembered me from months before.

Back on topic..... the guy was legend of his time. He inspired the fans, and teamates, and shook up the opposition and you could almost always guarantee that something would happen when he was on the pitch. In terms of 'Legend' status over other greats, I do think Dunc will always be a hero more due to personality than sheer technical ability, but there are more deserving folk to be labelled as legends!

And it winds other people up that people are calling him a legend.

It's not something that people are going to change their mind on (Marmite analogy someone mentioned was spot on). Think it's best left alone....it'll be back time and again for sure though :) .

Well unfortunately for you I think the history books will recall him as a legend wether you like it or not. Wether or not he deserves that tally is all down to opinion

I agree the Marmite analogy is a good one, as has been proven by this thread

Probably because like alot of us on this site we can remember what its like to have a crap team and to cling to a man like Dunc or Bob.

Crap team around BOB?????. Youre havin a laugh arent you. OK, it was a barren period but we shouldve won the league, shouldve won the league cup and but for a particular ref wouldve got to the FA Cup final in '77. The mid 70's Everton was a great team. (King, Dobson, Thomas, McKenzie etc). the best team to win sod all in my opinion.

Understand what your saying about clinging to a hero but think you did the 70's EFC an injustice by calling them crap.

Back to Dunc and was he any good. DUNC - played 272 scored 72. LATCHFORD - played 289 scored 138. And Midfielder ANDY KING - played 247 scored 68 !!!!!!!.

Dunc was good but not THAT good. Hes popular more for his fight and passion than his actual footballing ability.

Edited by Maghull70

The history books? Which history books? This label aroused my curiosity.

Definition for history-

history [ hístəri ] (plural histories)

noun

Definition:

1. what has happened: the past events of a period in time or in the life or development of a people, an institution, or a place

2. study of past events: the branch of knowledge that records and analyses past events

3. record of events: a chronological account of past events of a period or in the life or development of a people, an institution, or a place

a history of Byzantium

... Definition: past events, experiences Antonyms: future ... The diverse sources of history include books, newspapers, printed documents, personal papers

Hope this helps!

...Back to Dunc and was he any good. DUNC - played 272 scored 72. LATCHFORD - played 289 scored 138. And Midfielder ANDY KING - played 247 scored 68 !!!!!!!.

Dunc was good but not THAT good. Hes popular more for his fight and passion than his actual footballing ability.

I think it's been stated again and again that he deserves a legendary status for his passion on and off the pitch, not in particular for his footballing ability. Which in my opinion still was better than decent. Posting his scoring record in that context doesn't prove much of anything as some of those games happened through what was to me personally the worst years supporting Everton.

I tried to go through the Latchford and King eras but apart from seeing that Everton ended:

4th 74/75,

11th 75/76,

9th 76/77,

3rd 77/78 and

4th 78/79 from Wikipedia I won't go into any further detail. Bear in mind though that this was also before the Premier League makeover.

The thing with Duncan, is that had he not had so many injuries (especially the back problems) he would have no doubt scored a lot more than he did! He's probably also the only Everton player, and maybe one of the only players of the last 15 or so years who would have loved playing in the 70s/80s with the real hard nuts! I wonder if this is also why people class him as a legend, because he was a 70s/80s type of player....???

I grew up on Ferguson, always had his name on my shirt guarenteed. Met him about 4 times throughout the years, have a signed shirt and endless signatures from the family enclosure as the players arrived. He created a buzz that you rarely get with players at present, a buzz I am sure players from the history books also created.

But...

By no means do I hold Ferguson as a Legend, he is part of my memories of Everton growing up but to become a legend in my eyes you have to achieve something and drive the team to achieve something. Ferguson didn't do this he just created a buzz of "what is he going to do today".

In your opinion

Do you not think it is a little arrogant and indeed ignorant that you are passing off the views of thousands of Evertonians as laughable?

but you are doing the same, are you not? hes laughing off people calling him a legend, your laughing off people saying he isnt.

I grew up on Ferguson, always had his name on my shirt guarenteed. Met him about 4 times throughout the years, have a signed shirt and endless signatures from the family enclosure as the players arrived. He created a buzz that you rarely get with players at present, a buzz I am sure players from the history books also created.

But...

By no means do I hold Ferguson as a Legend, he is part of my memories of Everton growing up but to become a legend in my eyes you have to achieve something and drive the team to achieve something. Ferguson didn't do this he just created a buzz of "what is he going to do today".

great way of putting it, i feel/felt very much the same.

Edited by StevO

but you are doing the same, are you not? hes laughing off people calling him a legend, your laughing off people saying he isnt.

great way of putting it, i feel/felt very much the same.

Nope

I have been arguing the point that he is a legend to a lot of people and if you go back through my post Ive agreed with the Marmite analogy. I have never said anybodys opinion is laughable