IGNORED

How Our Fans Rate

Ash_

Premier League - Sunderland top Noise Table

Eurosport - Fri, 26 Oct 15:44:00 2007

Who has the loudest fans in the Premier League? Sunderland roar to the top with Fulham sitting at the bottom.

Decibel meter readings taken across home matches for all Premier League teams during August and September, showed that the loudest home crowd was on Wearside.

Average peak volume of the Sunderland crowd at home reaches 129.2 decibels - louder than a rock concert (115 decibels) and almost as loud as an air raid siren/military jet (130 decibels).

As a volume of 110-115 decibels can cause hearing damage after just 15 minutes, football fans are being advised to wear ear protection if they want to hear the referees whistle clearly across their supporting career.

The findings are especially embarrassing for Arsenal and Manchester United, whose grounds dwarf the 49,000-seater Sunderland home ground by 11,000 and 21,000 seats respectively.

Quietest home fans were Fulham who could only muster an average maximum volume of 115.4 decibels at home.

And although not the loudest, Everton fans proved that they have the stamina to keep it up all match. Their chants were the most frequent (one every three minutes on average) and longest (52 seconds each on average) of all teams studied.

The ear-bending research was commissioned by 118118 who are searching for the best and loudest football chants in the country.

Decibel readings were taken across key points in each match - players emerging from the tunnel, kickoff, when goals were scored, just after the start of the second half and the final five minutes of each game.

William Ostrom from 118 118 said: "Supporting your team is a loud business; our researchers got quite an ear-bashing. But the power of the team chant is undeniable. Perhaps it's one of the reasons Sunderland got promotion last season."

NOISE LEAGUE TABLE:

1. Sunderland (average decibels) 129.2

2. Tottenham 128.2

3. Manchester City 127.4

4. Aston Villa 126.5

5. Everton 126.1

6. Chelsea 125.8

7. Middlesbrough 125.4

8. Derby 124.7

9. Newcastle 124.5

10. West Ham 123.8

11. Birmingham 122.7

12. Arsenal 122.3

13. Portsmouth 120.9

14. Blackburn 119.5

15. Bolton 119.1

16. Liverpool 118.9

17. Manchester United 117.5

18. Wigan 116.8

19. Reading 116.2

20. Fulham 115.4

good effort lol, one day i will be there :(

Edited by Ash_

Has been getting quieter recently. Was noticably louder on Thursday though. Especially when Tommy started to warm up. Oh tommy

Wernt it just, the croud soon woke up wen tommy came out. he's a fans favourite here so im sure most of our fans are glad to see him back because i am, at first i wasnt to sure but now im glad he's back.

I was unsure but think he'll be a good squad player. Was well off the pace when he came on but think he adds abit of strenght to the midfield. He did loose his bald head very quickly when he came on, thought he was going to break someones leg when he went in for a very silly challenge. He missed which was lucky for both players though.

after watching the UEFA cup game on Thursday I was appalled by the noise of the crowd. I don't know if maybe the fans were dissapointed because we weren't punting it up the field to the opposition like we usually do and we were making slow build up form defence but the crowd wasn't just quiet you could actually here fans muttering while watching it on the telly.

I thought they were playing resonably well, better than we have done in previous games and trying to play decent build up football but the fans didn't seem to like it.

Similarly after we let in a goal to make it 2-1 there's was no cheering the players on and only really murmerings of discontent. the players panic wasn't being helped by the attitude they were feeling form the crowd.

If that table is anything to by though then great stuff and hopefully we can push our way to the top.

What are you talking about. The noise levels were huge on thursday. it did go abit quiet after we conceded but thats to be expected. As soon as tommy came back on the noise levels were back up.

Did you watch the game on the telly? not really much to go on if you did. If you were their then you'd know how loud it was

Edited by jamiemaher85

yes i admit it i watched on telly and I know you can't completely go on that but it was VERY CLEARLY QUIET a lot of the time, when you can hear a lot of individuals you know there's not a lot of crowd noise going on!

the commentators also commented several times about how quiet it was.

the noises of discontent when lescott very slowly brought the ball forward as well as a few times when the defenders passed it amongst themselves were very clear.

I'm sure had i been at the game i wouldn't have said what I said but those were my observations from watching the game on telly.

I was in upper bullens at the Gladwys Street end and it was a great atmosphere on Thursday. I think the reason it went quiet is that the team went to sleep and it got a bit boring. Also, there were loads of kids at the game, I took my eldest (10). That's what happens when the tickets are cheap. All in all a great night though, there was a nice calm excitment about the place.

• 2 months later...

Well look at your previous post 'like i said in the other topic we could sing alot more and make alot more noise i think tht every1 should make the effort 2 get the crowd going and create an atmosphere no other team in the prem has!!!'

Every1 should make an effort? why dont u get every1 going then.

i have a True blue behind me, hes not arsed if he sings on his own, shouts the whole game and im glad hes their, but when he starts, me and the rest around us start.

So luks like you dont go to the games, cos the chants are very often at Lower Glwyds.

it is a shame the way the atmosphere has gone.

this may seem a bit snobby, but with the price of the match going up so much it a different kind of fan going to the game.

in times gone by it was half of the price we pay now, people with less money could go the game, now days the fellas who can afford to go the game seem to want to sit down and be comfortable and be entertained. rather than going and playing your own part in the entertainment of football.

i have mates who come from poorer areas who will go the game and shout their mouth of for an hour and a half, an i have mates brought up in "luxury" who seem embarrassed about standing up an getting involved.

i hope that makes sense.

to clear up, my position. i'll go the home games in the upper gwladys, not the noisiest place, but when the lower gets going we join in, not often the chants come from up our way. i'll go the away games and wont shut up or sit down for an hour an a half. i find it very strange, and disappointing to be honest.

and one last thing while im on a rant, we have a real lack of songs.

theres a united fan who writes chants and they circle them around fan sites, forums and fanzines.

im a terrible lyricist myself thou

Aye Steve i would prefer to Stand up the whole game chanting at home games, Even my Home town of Southport that are in the Blue Square Premier League,(LEague below the Conference) Sing the Whole game and dont sit down. Much better atmosphere even thou they only make 1000 fans a game.

Also agree with the Real lack of Songs, The ones you hear are;

Tell me Ma', me Ma' to put the Champagne on ice.

If you know your history

Everton

Folo,folo,folo(Arteta's Chant)

Feed the Yak

AJ

Then often a few of the other players chants(lee Carsley, Lescott, and the ever more embarassing, pienaar chant)

And The Clap.

Probs more but too tired to think atm.

jacko personaly i dont care what you think like i said its IMO!

We might sing the most but i just said it would be nice for every1 to sing all through the game becouse at parts of the game if u were 2 walk in u would think its a funeral or summin!

jacko From wat ive seen from ur pointless posts arguein with every1 no1 really likes u so like most other people do im now going to egnore ur posts. If u had and opinion i wouldent argue with what u think!!

Ova and owt

COYB!!!

Like im arsed what ppl on a Forum think??

Were not as bad as man utd.

And the post you just put about singing all threw the game, erm did you not read my post where i put ' i would prefer to Stand up the whole game chanting at home games'

we basically agreed with each other then u go and say' i dont care what you think' so ur saying you dont care what u urself is saying cos we had the same view.

NICE ONE!

i dont know what the atmosphere was like before this season really, i went to 3 games last season but i got myself a Season ticket this year so not sure how the atmosphere was compared to now?

Bt i know for sure that i never Here any other part of the Ground sing Apart from Glwyds.

Unless the Yak scores and they join in with 'Feed The Yak and he will Score'

read that!

It says it all, i say that i didnt know what the atmosphere was like so i cant compare, so all your argument with me have been for nothing cos you didnt read my post!

:D

jacko From wat ive seen from ur pointless posts arguein with every1 no1 really likes u so like most other people do im now going to egnore ur posts. If u had and opinion i wouldent argue with what u think!!

people in glass houses mate!

you've spent the last couple of days arguing with jacko, so you dont expect him to argue back!

does it matter who likes who?

i dont think you get the point of this forum!

its about talking about the blues, havin a laugh, take the piss a little bit, not a popularity contest!

yeh but ur just being an aragent lil teenager mate. Im saying the atmosphere has died down from a few years back and u say why we top of the singin list and all this bullshit this year has been your first year with a season ticket you dont have a clue!!!

gotta agree there, these days you have to go the gladders or park end next to the away supporters, to sing along and not look a tit singing on your own in the other parts.