IGNORED

Yakubu

I'd be very happy if he could do better than last year and get to 20 in the league.

I have always liked Yakubu, hopefuly another 20 goal salvo will prove to the rest of the Premiership that he is the real deal. 100 English league goals is a quality achievement, the Yak is the kind of striker we have been begging for since the days of Tony Cottee, and Peter Beardsley. The Yak can score from anywhere and is always a threat, he is the kind of striker that can be missing for 85 mins then pop up with a winner, 12m was a steal.

There is a lot more than his finishing, and I think he links the play nicely, them big shoulders provide the energy for his imense power, not many center halfs will bully the Yak out of a game! Feed the Yak and he will score!!! I reckon he will achieve 20 in the league this season, anything else in the cups will be a nice bonus.

My appraisal of him is simple. AJ worth £10m then as he is 3 times the player he is worth £30m. If he was english he would be partnering Rooney up front for the national team, no question. He is one of the best goal scorers I have seen in Prem, even at pompey and middlesborough he was 20 goals a season. Would not surprise me if one of the top 3 ever tried to buy him, his work rate shouldn't really be questioned, he does what he does and does it well, when he drops deep he makes good lay offs, he can hold ball up. His passing is very good, tremendous power in either foot. £12m was a great piece of business, just got to make sure he has his head on the game.

My appraisal of him is simple. AJ worth £10m then as he is 3 times the player he is worth £30m. If he was english he would be partnering Rooney up front for the national team, no question. He is one of the best goal scorers I have seen in Prem, even at pompey and middlesborough he was 20 goals a season. Would not surprise me if one of the top 3 ever tried to buy him, his work rate shouldn't really be questioned, he does what he does and does it well, when he drops deep he makes good lay offs, he can hold ball up. His passing is very good, tremendous power in either foot. £12m was a great piece of business, just got to make sure he has his head on the game.

Great post and a smashing appraisal of the Yak, love it :D

Edited by Jimmy the blue

alot of players suffer from 2nd season syndrome. i hope yak aint gonna go through that or if he does at least score 15 this season

I can't see that happening. If last season was his first season in English football then I could understand your worry but he's more than used to this league now.

• 3 weeks later...

For me he is an absolutely fantastic finisher - certainly one of the best we've had in the last 20 years.

I don't think there is much else to his game though. He isn't great at holding the ball up, doesn't really create or anything - just a lean mean scoring machine. That's fine for me though.

I think we need a more creative forward alongside him though (or Tiny Tim).

So Yak is being fed well so far this season up to 3 goals, lets hope the goals continue. Turning out to be a very good buy for us...

I don't think he was even 'fed' yesterday, Cahill gave him a nothing ball really but it only took Yakubu too exquisite touches to turn a half chance at best into a goal :) If Andy Cole could score 30 odd goals for Utd then one can only wonder how many the Yak would've scored.

I think people comparing him to Rooney is pointless, I don't even think Rooney's contribution came anywhere near Kevin Campbell's never mind the Yak's. Rooney was a waste of space for us, a talented waste of space but useless none the less. The full season he played for us we got our lowest points total ever I think. The goal against Arsenal aside, the only really fond recollection I have of Rooney (in an Everton shirt, not an England one) is selling him for big money.

I don't think he was even 'fed' yesterday, Cahill gave him a nothing ball really but it only took Yakubu too exquisite touches to turn a half chance at best into a goal :) If Andy Cole could score 30 odd goals for Utd then one can only wonder how many the Yak would've scored.

I think people comparing him to Rooney is pointless, I don't even think Rooney's contribution came anywhere near Kevin Campbell's never mind the Yak's. Rooney was a waste of space for us, a talented waste of space but useless none the less. The full season he played for us we got our lowest points total ever I think. The goal against Arsenal aside, the only really fond recollection I have of Rooney (in an Everton shirt, not an England one) is selling him for big money.

I think calling Rooney a waste of space is a little bit harsh. He was 16-17 years old when playing for us. He was thrust into the spotlight and first team before his time What do you expect him to do? He may not of consistanly lit the world up when playing for us, but he was only a boy so consistancy was never going to happen, and its something he is even struggeling with now. But I think it is a little far fetched to call him a waste of space.

I think calling Rooney a waste of space is a little bit harsh. He was 16-17 years old when playing for us. He was thrust into the spotlight and first team before his time What do you expect him to do? He may not of consistanly lit the world up when playing for us, but he was only a boy so consistancy was never going to happen, and its something he is even struggeling with now. But I think it is a little far fetched to call him a waste of space.

fair enough, but I thought the full season he played he had a shocker. True, he was stuffed out on the wing a lot but he never got the space he did when playing for England and it was all a little too much for him. I'm not denying he was only young, all I'm saying is comparing him to Yakubu based on his time at Everton is pointless, when Rooney was at Everton he was 17 and during that time he did nothing at all except frustrate. He isn't that good even now, he has brilliant control and can score spectacular goals, but his finishing is suspect (he misses a lot of chances) and he is totally overhyped, he's not a patch on Gerrard, Fabregas, Ronaldo etc. I'd rather have Yakubu even now, he'd score 30-40 goals in the Utd team imo.

Neville should take a look at rooney because his passing is top class, the yak to get 30!!

I assume Randomness was talking about Yakubu's passing, which as he said - is top class in general. His overall game is excellent, he is involved in some lovely link up play, he has excellent touch and vision.