IGNORED

To Make Johnson Their Summer Transfer

Everton have made Andrew Johnson their principal summer transfer target but the success of any bid will hinge on Crystal Palace's own attempt to return to the Premiership. David Moyes was one of a number of managers to inquire about Johnson last summer only for the England international to retract his transfer request and sign a new five-year contract with Palace. The Everton manager will renew his interest in the 25-year-old Johnson should Iain Dowie's side fail to secure promotion.

Despite penning that new deal at the start of the season, Johnson is expected to return to the top flight with or without Palace next term. The London club will attempt to resist approaches and their chairman Simon Jordan would be loth to accept the anticipated bid of about £6m from Everton. Given that Dean Ashton recently moved from Norwich to West Ham for £7.25m and has yet to gain a senior international cap, Palace would seek nearer £9m for the striker even if they remain in the Championship, though that stance might mellow should the player agitate for a move.

Moyes was impressed with Johnson's staggering form last season, when he was twice selected for his country. His progress this term has been hampered by injury, with damaged knee ligaments sustained at Reading effectively restricting him to the sidelines for two months before Christmas, though his goal at Stoke on Monday was still his 14th in 29 appearances for the Londoners.

That inflated his haul for the club to an impressive 81 in 150 games since arriving as a makeweight from Birmingham City in the deal which took Clinton Morrison to St Andrew's in 2002. Although Sven-Goran Eriksson has visited Selhurst Park to check on his progress, Johnson has slipped out of the England reckoning and may need regular Premiership football to achieve his international ambitions. His 21 goals last season were the best return for an English player in the Premiership despite Palace's eventual relegation on the final day of the season.

Everton would hope to pair Johnson with the former England striker James Beattie, whose own form has revived this season to such an extent he is hoping for a World Cup place. Moyes opted against adding to his squad during the midwinter window knowing he would have funds to recruit at the end of the campaign.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/....html?gusrc=rss

but hes crap , hes just a good pen taker, why we need him wen we have beats...we need some1 quicker...look wat c.jerome is doin, he looks the best in the championship easy and for nearly half the cost

Not a bad point about CJ but i think you are underestimating AJ as he won all the pens he scored through his sheer pace and defenders having little choice but to chop him down!

I said Moyes should have bought Jerome in January but i still rate AJ very highly.

Need somebody quicker? Fook me you can't get much quicker than Johnson!

I've been saying all along A.J is the man we should get. His movement off the ball his top class and he can finish from anywhere.I don't think it will be as easy as the papers say it is though. There will be 6-8 premiership clubs after him that's if Palace don't come up.

A team consisting of the following would do me for next year.

1.Martyn

2.Hibbert 4.Yobo 5.Ferrari 3.Valente

7.Arteta 6.Neville 8.Cahill 11.Osman

9.Beattie 10.Johnson

Subs; Carsley, Van deMeyde,Mcfadden,Kilbane, Stubbs, Vaughan

Johnson says happy at Palace aswell:

Andrew Johnson insists he is happy to stay at Crystal Palace amid reports of renewed interest from Everton.

Palace fought off Premiership clubs to keep the England striker last summer and he has scored 14 goals this season to help the Eagles into the play-off zone in the Championship.

Johnson's future is likely to depend on which division Palace are in next term, with boss Iain Dowie having already admitted it would be difficult to keep him if the club do not win promotion.

"I'm happy at Palace," the 25-year-old said. "There is a great bunch of players, and I would be more than happy to stay."

Johnson has still not given up hope of winning a place in the England World Cup squad - and takes heart from boss Sven-Goran Eriksson's continued interest in his form.

He added: "Sven-Goran Eriksson has kept his word and kept me involved, even though I'm playing in the Championship."

Everton boss David Moyes reportedly sees Johnson as the man to solve his side's problems in front of goal as Everton have only scored 24 times in the Premiership this season - the worst record outside the bottom three.

Moyes is also keen to secure a long-term replacement for 39-year-old stopper Nigel Martyn and has identified Canaries goalkeeper Green as his top target.

Green will be keen to return to the Premiership to boost his chances of playing for England after a frustrating season in the Championship with Norwich.

I agree GF. If Palace come up then he might stay with them but don't think that they will be able to keep him if they don't go up.

He is saying it now to be the good guy I think. He wanted to leave last year cos he handed in a transfer request.

Did get the offers he expected so then changed his mind. Just like th Boro goalkeeper.

If a prem side offered for him and was accepted by CP then he would leave.

AJ is a Palace player at the moment - He is a decent sort of person and I would not expect him to come out at this moment in time and start saying he wants to move.

The way he signed a new contract with a team who had be relegated makes me think that he either has a get out clause or gentlemans agreement that he can move this summer - where or not Place get promotion. He and his agents would have been fools not to.

Everton showed a disire for the player last summer, didn't buy anybody in January and have shown disire for AJ this last week. I think this ongoing intrest will go a long way with AJ.

It would surprise me if AJ was keeping an eye on how Everton are doing at the moment.

i agree andy Johnson is the man to partner beattie but am gonna take everything with a pinch of salt as over the past year we have been linked with a shit load of strikers and never sign anyone, as soon as its confirmed we have signed someone then i will beleive it

AS FOR FOOKIN GREEN IN GOALS NEXT SEASON.. F*OFF HE IS PISH!

we need a good young goalie, i would go for issaksson of rennes or lastuvka of shakhtar donetsk petr cech understudy with check republic

anyone else agree?