IGNORED

Reading "goal" Yesterday..

One of the strangest things I've ever seen on a football pitch...can see it here.

http://www.itv.com/Sport/Football/Championship/default.html

Steve Coppell says he's happy to replay the game (LINK) but surely that'd set a dangerous precedent.

"Goals" scored every week-end that shouldn't be allowed for one reason or another, and perfectly good ones ruled out. If you replayed all he games the season would never end.

How is it more of a "technical" error than any other wrong decision. If replays had shown that TC's goal yesterday hadn't crossed the line then the error would have been exactly the same...goal given when it hadn't been scored....no-one would have suggested replaying the game.

There's no difference. Error by the officials, both "technical."

because TC's Shot went in to the Goal. Rather than 4 yards wide of it.

i think the technicality though is that the ball DID cross the line of the playing area (where cahill's did or did not) so play would have stopped because of a goal kick or corner etc. i can quite find the words (where's JD)

What i'm trying to say is, it's a technical error because it crossed the line outside of the goal, therefore should have been a goal kick or corner, with cahill's the difference is, it didnt cross the line at a different point of the pitch, so That could have been a goal where as the Watford one definitely could not.

So if a winger gets to the by-line and cuts the ball back for a striker to score and then the replay shows that the ball was actually out of play (so it should have been a goal kick) it's a technical error and the game needs to be replayed?

Doesn't matter how you define it, the game can't be replayed, it'd cause chaos in the future.

The League's chief operating officer Andy Williamson confirmed the decision to award the goal was final.

"The laws of the game give no discretion in these matters," said Williamson. "The referee's decision regarding whether a goal is scored or not is final and binding.

"Given this explicit position, the League cannot intervene."

The only possible decision.

So if a winger gets to the by-line and cuts the ball back for a striker to score and then the replay shows that the ball was actually out of play (so it should have been a goal kick) it's a technical error and the game needs to be replayed?

Doesn't matter how you define it, the game can't be replayed, it'd cause chaos in the future.

no that would still count. my thinking is that if the ball crossed the line before the winger crossed it and the goal was given -that is to say instead of a goal kick a goal was awarded- technical error replay.

Shows what i know anyway the result stands and we'll forever be :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Watford and Reading will not replay 'phantom goal' game, says League

There will be no replay of the match between Reading and Watford, the Football League has confirmed, despite the Professional Game Match Officials board's admission that the goal awarded by referee Stuart Attwell after his assistant flagged was "an error of judgement".

"The laws of the game give no discretion in these matters — the referee's decision regarding whether a goal is scored or not is final and binding," said the League's chief operating officer, Andy Williamson. "Given this explicit position, the League cannot intervene."

Reading manager Steve Coppell had said he would have "no objections" to a rematch, raising the prospect of a repeat of Arsenal's decision to replay their 1999 FA Cup match against Sheffield United — a game also marked by a dubious goal. "I'm not sure there's a precedent but if that's what people decide then I am quite happy to do it," said Coppell. "We don't want to be seen to be taking advantage of anything. I have sympathy with Watford and I really don't know what to say to make it right. But if the Football League phones me now and says something was definitely wrong, I'm happy to go along with it."

The goal was erroneously awarded after 13 minutes when a Stephen Hunt corner glanced off John Eustace's thighs and went out of play over the byline. Attwell, however, awarded a goal when his assistant referee raised his flag, to the bemusement of the players on the pitch and the fans in the ground.

"According to the laws of the game, the decision of the referee regarding facts connected with play are final and that includes whether a goal is scored or not," said the PGMO. "The referee cannot change that decision once the game has been restarted.

"Football is a human game played at a fast pace where mistakes are made by players and match officials alike. We regret this error of judgment and will now work with the officials concerned to determine how this occurred in an attempt to minimise such mistakes in the future

Well I'm unsure whether you can say that because the Reading players were probably as shocked as the Watford one's and didn't fully know what was going on after the incident. Plus Steve Coppel said after the game that he was happy to re-play the game even though Reading had managed to get a 2-2 draw.

What would you say if it happened to Everton. Against Liverpool on Saturday? Arteta crosses in, Lescott headers and Saha pulls it back across the goal-line. Jamie Carragher clears but the referee is pointing to the centre-circle, its a goal. I think a few fans would be annoyed if Phil ran over to the referee complaining it wasn't a goal. I think even thought it's not sportsmanship you would take the goal. Same as scoring when your way off-side. You dont go 'Hey Linesman I was offside. Didn't you see? Give them the free-kick that goal was unfair'