IGNORED

Barton: I Want To Be A Role Model

"My reputation will precede me until the day I die and for some people that can't come soon enough," he added.

Barton, who was jailed for assault and affray earlier this year, could return to action against Sunderland on Saturday after finishing a six-game ban for assaulting Ousmane Dabo in 2007 when he was at Manchester City.

"There's going to be young kids who look at the likes of Michael Owen and Beckham, who are unbelievable professionals, squeaky clean, and they can't relate to them," Barton told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I've met people on the street, met people while I was in prison, and they can relate to you.

He is a thug, and to be honest he has been given enough chances and somehow I do agree with him, he's been in jail and done some really sickening things and that's never going away. But he can now relate to the kids on the street. He has done things that everyone shoulden't and if he's stopping people being like him then thats a good thing. IMO this is a fresh start for Joey. Out of prison and helping others stay clear of it.

I agree with Aaron. He has acted like a prick for, what would seem, most of his life. But he could be a role model if he can put all the shit behind him and actually start acting anything near to a decent human being. A big ask I know but it would be unfair to deny anyone a a new chance in life.

Personally I think he'll piss it all up the wall and get into a few more fights, but you never know, he could end up surprising a few people. Chances are slim though

im feeling sorry for him now, cant even warm up without people trying to get at him, had to be moved as someone tried to get to him, police stopped him so barton just wanted to shake hands with the fella to say no hard feelings and it kicked off from there. Barton had to go and train outside the dug out.

a lot of people know im a big joey barton fan, on the pitch, off the pitch there isnt much to like, but i really hope he can turn his life around and then when hes has a few years off the drink and out of the cells and the front pages he can start giving back to the organisations that have tried, and failed, to help him.

I know I'm going to split the forum with this one, and you'll probably try and suspend me but I actually would like to see him in a blue shirt come January. I think he's a really under-rated footballer, due to all the crap he gets involved in. He's tarred as 'That nobhead psycho that punches people' whereas he just seems to me like a mad Duncan Ferguson. Even though Barton is ten times worse people forget how good of a footballer he is. If he can get his head sorted and win some fans then I'm sure teams will be queing to aquire his signature.

i said the same thing many a time, until the trouble in town. id let the dabo thing go as im sure that player fight on the training ground everyday, maybe it went a bit far, but the assault in town really brings the player, and his club, into negative publicity and sets a very bad example.

two years ago id have loved the lad to be in a blue shirt, but he'd have to do a lot to make me feel that way again

'That nobhead psycho that punches people' whereas he just seems to me like a mad Duncan Ferguson.

What's the difference?

Anyway, seems he nicked the penalty against West Brom last night. Ameobi is Newcastle's penalty taker but apparently Barton, "grabbed hold of it."

Showed "bottle" according to Kinnear, although "he'd have been in trouble if he'd missed."

Typical playground, kids football bully stuff imo, and very poor managment by Kinnear if he doesn't give him a bollocking behind closed doors.

What's the difference?

Anyway, seems he nicked the penalty against West Brom last night. Ameobi is Newcastle's penalty taker but apparently Barton, "grabbed hold of it."

Showed "bottle" according to Kinnear, although "he'd have been in trouble if he'd missed."

Typical playground, kids football bully stuff imo, and very poor managment by Kinnear if he doesn't give him a bollocking behind closed doors.

Pretty similar to Yakubu against Portsmouth. I think he should let Barton off just this once. He coulden't warm up and he's trying to get on the right road. I think he saw the chance to score and coulden't resist it. I don't think he snatched the ball. He probably told Ameobi that he wanted to take it - Ameobi said OK - he took it and scored. 1-0 Newcastle.

Great player and glad to see him doing well.

Can't believe what I'm reading here.

This is a fella who stubs cigars out in a young kids eye.

Kicks shit out of a young lad on a night out and we've all seen the clip of it. A 16 year old lad, probably just being a bit gobby and as a result got his teeth literally smashed out.

Ye okay, footballers fight all the time on the training ground and when you think there's a squad of 20+, you're not going to get along with all of them but to take it to the extremes he did was way way OTT

Even when the police were hunting down his brother, he did a press statement to encourage his brother to come forward and hand himself in. The right thing to do. Yes of course it was so why did he have to include in the message to his brother that they grew up seperately. Did his brother not all ready know this. To me it was a statement to say to everyone else 'look we didn't grow up together so don't tarnish me with the same brush'. Fuckin' pathetic

The thing that really annoys me is that after every time he does things he says the same things i.e. I'm gonna be a changed man and a good role model for kids etc etc etc he does it again.

Gotta feeling some people here are being sympathetic to him cos he's a local lad but if he was from somewhere else would the same sympathies still exist. Doubt it.

As for being in a blue shirt, Moyes didn't want him. Not for his footballing skills cos he is a good player but do you really want someone whinging to the press about his team mates every other week. Worked for Roy Keane cos he was a godlike figure at Old Trafford and the fans agreed with him. Has never worked for Joey

enough bad press, deserved, has been written about him, i dont think he really needs anymore or his past dragging up again.

i dont think anyone feels sorry for him.

we all make mistakes, i know i have, and if im honest ive not changed and ive repeated my mistakes. i think people might want to see joey turn his life round maybe due to their own inability to do the same.

just an idea anyway

• 5 months later...

Suspended from Newcastle until further notice

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headline...1648592,00.html

Apparently it's not to do with the red card he got on the weekend, not all that hard to believe but I think it would have had a lot to do with it.

Also, we should feel for Xabi Alonso, I think this is the 6th time this season a player has been sent off for a tackle on him.

Suspended from Newcastle until further notice

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headline...1648592,00.html

Apparently it's not to do with the red card he got on the weekend, not all that hard to believe but I think it would have had a lot to do with it.

Also, we should feel for Xabi Alonso, I think this is the 6th time this season a player has been sent off for a tackle on him.

Cahill was one of those though :huh:

Edited by jamiemaher85

It's obvious why he has been suspended. Newcastle don't want to be handling him whilst they are trying to keep themselves from Premiership faggotry. Their whole club is run poorly and the board are one of the worst around. Through the fans and background staff it's just a whole joke and it would be a good thing for them to get themsevles put through the trapdoor.

Barton is a good footballer but things like this just make him look bad. Haven't seen the challenge in detail so I can't really say. From the sounds of it he deserves the red card, I'm with the above posts and am still a fan. He's awesome B)

Would be great to have him at Everton ;)

He was on his last chance about 10 chances ago. If we'd picked him up before he went to Newcastle then maybe it could have worked, but to much water has been under that bridge now. He is trouble. He will not change now.

He'd do the same at Everton as he has done every else he has been. Show flashes of his talent and then spoil it all with a few moments of stupidity, whether that is on or off the pitch I do not know. I don't want to see him in an Everton shirt, and Moyes would not go near him in my opinion. He has more sense than that.

Edited by jamiemaher85

Guest efctaxi

First line at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Barton :lol:

Joseph Anthony "Joey" Barton (2 September 1982) (pronounced /ˈdʒoʊiː ˈbɑrtən/) is a thug who plays for Premier League side Newcastle United.

I don't like bullies or hard knocks .

Moyes enquired about him once already .

I am proud of our club . I could never be proud of this guy .

Guest efctaxi

Sorry for the dp .

1982: Born Huyton, September 2.

2003: April - Makes Manchester City debut in a 2-0 defeat to Bolton at the Reebok Stadium.

Scores first Blues goal in 2-0 win over Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

September - Called into England Under-21 squad for internationals against FYR Macedonia and Portugal.

2004: February - Sent off after half-time in an FA Cup tie at Tottenham with his team 3-0 down. City go on to win 4-3.

April - Stormed out of Eastlands before kick-off after being axed from the side to face Southampton.

July - Blasted by manager Kevin Keegan for causing a mass brawl in pre-season friendly at Doncaster.

September - Signed a two-year extension to his contract.

December - Stubbed a lit cigar into the eye of young team-mate Jamie Tandy during club's Christmas party. Fined six weeks' wages by City. Forced to pay four weeks' salary - approximately £60,000 - immediately, with a further two weeks suspended for a year.

2005: May - Barton breaks leg of 35-year-old pedestrian while driving his car at 2am in Liverpool city centre.

July 22 - Involved in an altercation with a 15-year-old Everton fan at City's team hotel in Bangkok, where the team are playing in the FA Premier League Trophy.

July 27 - Fined eight weeks' wages by City after being found guilty of gross misconduct in the Bangkok incident. Accepts punishment and agrees to undertake a programme of rehabilitation.

2006: January 30 - Hands in a transfer request, which is instantly rejected by City.

July - Signs new four-year contract.

September 30 - Drops his shorts in the direction of Everton fans following City's 1-1 draw at Goodison Park. Merseyside Police and the FA later confirm they are liaising in their investigation into the matter.

October 5 - Charged with improper conduct and/or bringing the game into disrepute by the Football Association.

October 9 - Admits charge.

October 10 - Fined £2,000 and warned as to his future conduct by the FA.

2007: January 16 - Everton bid for Barton rejected by Manchester City.

Barton's agent, Willie McKay, reveals the midfielder has a £5.5million release clause in his contract, suggesting Everton triggered this clause.

February 2 - Earns first call-up to senior England squad for friendly against Spain. February 7 - Makes England debut as a 78th-minute substitute.

February 21 - Cleared of making obscene gestures towards Portsmouth fans due to insufficient evidence.

March 13 - Arrested on suspicion of assault and criminal damage in an incident involving a taxi driver. He is later charged with criminal damage, which he denies.

April 21 - Barton says City fans are "not getting value for money" when watching the club at Eastlands and said the club had not signed quality players.

May 1 - Suspended by City for the rest of the season after training ground altercation with Ousmane Dabo.

June 2 - Admits he may be open to offers from other clubs.

June 5 - City give Newcastle permission to talk to the player after they make a bid.

June 14 - Completes £5.8million move to St James' Park.

July 21 - Breaks a metatarsal in a pre-season meeting with Carlisle.

August 2 - Charged with assault over training ground incident involving Dabo.

October 4 - Appears in court charged with Dabo assault. Indicates he will plead not guilty.

October 22 - Makes Newcastle debut in 3-1 victory over Tottenham.

December 1 - Barton causes controversy on Tyneside by describing the St James' Park crowd as "vicious".

December 27 - Arrested in Liverpool city centre in connection with an allegation of assault.

December 28 - Charged with common assault and affray and refused bail.

2008: January 3 - Released from custody after being granted bail.

January 16 - Appears in court in Liverpool over allegations of assault and affray.

March 12 - Appears in court charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray.

May 20 - Admits assault and affray and is jailed for six months at Liverpool Crown Court.

July 1 - Receives four-month suspended sentence for assaulting Dabo.

July 28 - Released from prison.

July 31 - The FA charge Barton with violent conduct over the Dabo incident.

August 13 - Barton admits the FA charge.

August 30 - Barton returns to first-team action by making a substitute appearance for Newcastle away to Arsenal.

September 5 - Banned by the FA for 12 matches - six of which are suspended - and fined £25,000 after admitting violent conduct charge in relation to the Dabo incident.

2009: May 3 - Sent-off against Liverpool for late challenge on Xabi Alonso. Receives subsequent criticism from Newcastle manager Alan Shearer.

May 5 - Suspended until further notice by Newcastle

Source Bluemoon

They could totally make a film about Barton. I'd bloody watch it B)

December - Stubbed a lit cigar into the eye of young team-mate Jamie Tandy during club's Christmas party. Fined six weeks' wages by City. Forced to pay four weeks' salary - approximately £60,000 - immediately, with a further two weeks suspended for a year.

Feel sorry for that incident though. Anyone know what happened to ol' Jamie? :(

Edit: He was booted out of the Premiership club by then-boss Keegan months after the incident and drifted into non-league football. Now 23, he supplements his modest pay from Bradford Park Avenue by working as an industrial window cleaner. Apparantly he's not too fond of Barton's football.

Edited by dark

• 2 weeks later...