IGNORED

Racism And Spain

Tonights game in Seville may be marred by racist barracking of English players by the Spanish spectators, history shows this to be a norm. As this is meant to be a friendly game would we be correct in taking our players off the pitch in protest against such insulting behaviour?

IMO some form of protest should be made as a country like Spain, a former imperial power in the third world, should behave far better in this day and age. I will be watching with great interest to see if we have the bottle to leave the park, such a protest would carry far more importance than any result

Edited by Jimmy the blue

It's the offending idiots that need walking out of the ground....by the police.....but it won't happen. Needs serious action by FIFA (or UEFA, whoever has the authority), serious fines, games behind closed doors, home games plyed outside of the country or ultimately throw them out of competitions. It's not just Spain of course, Eastern Europe is probably worse but slightly lower profile.

If the players feel the need to walk off tonight then fine....it would be far better, and maybe get the message through, if the Spanish players walked off first :) .

I dont think they would need bottle to leave the park, they would need it to stay on and ignore it, it would be respected by me if those small number of bellend spain fans start racist chanting again.

Unfortunately I don't think its a 'small number of fans' mate. Spain is like the Balkans and Turkey for this type of thing if a guy is black then he is classed as a low life by many. We did it in the 60's and 70's as well, it still exists here but gets jumped up on if the BNP or others try and create divisions.

I asked if the team would have the bottle because the FA have given them no guideline

It's the offending idiots that need walking out of the ground....by the police.....but it won't happen. Needs serious action by FIFA (or UEFA, whoever has the authority), serious fines, games behind closed doors, home games plyed outside of the country or ultimately throw them out of competitions. It's not just Spain of course, Eastern Europe is probably worse but slightly lower profile.

If the players feel the need to walk off tonight then fine....it would be far better, and maybe get the message through, if the Spanish players walked off first :) .

Good point Mike, they have just ignored it in the past

Spain is bad for racism and I would be surprised if there wasn't any tonight. It's sad when its like that, the days of racism have gone and to have a nation that is still for it is bad, Spain need to realise what they are doing is wrong and the only reason of making them realise is by punishing them. It's not the minority anymore its wide-spread. They should be thrown out of future competitions and fined heavily. Mike made some good points on how to deal with it.

Walking off the pitch won't do anything. We should just get on with our own game and focus on the win, UEFA need to step in and make the big decision.

It's not just in football either, remember this at the Formula One? Blatent racism.

2008alonsofandbarca400.jpg

Catalunya, Spain

Spain is bad for racism and I would be surprised if there wasn't any tonight. It's sad when its like that, the days of racism have gone and to have a nation that is still for it is bad, Spain need to realise what they are doing is wrong and the only reason of making them realise is by punishing them. It's not the minority anymore its wide-spread. They should be thrown out of future competitions and fined heavily. Mike made some good points on how to deal with it.

Walking off the pitch won't do anything. We should just get on with our own game and focus on the win, UEFA need to step in and make the big decision.

It's not just in football either, remember this at the Formula One? Blatent racism.

2008alonsofandbarca400.jpg

Catalunya, Spain

ha...ha

it's pitiful really.

They are about as funny as cancer. <_<

Guest efctaxi

I'm still undecided as to whether the Hamilton family thing was infact a racist act , as opposed to an unthoughtful one from fans that was taken the wrong way . I'll sit on the fence a bit longer untill I find out if there is more to it .

Guest efctaxi
If that's not racist what is it, its not funny for starters

What I meant was if they were Hamilton fans that got a little carried away . Not sure of the story behind that one . If they were fans , then obviously the intention isn't racism . If they're there to take the mick , then obviously it is .

There has to be an element of intention for anything to be considered racist surely . Was the prince being pro-nazi when he wore his fancy dress ? I doubt it .

Would dressing up as Muhammad Ali and painting your face brown be racist if going to a party etc ? Dressing up as the Klu klux Klan is a totally different matter .

All about intention :)

Edited by efctaxi

Of course they're not fans of hammy.

It's spain, Home turf for Alonzo. It's not about racism, it's about him vs. alonzo, plain and simple.

As for the insults, well it's idiotic, really, but it's the product of a society with a lot of foreign immigrants. There's that in practically all of europe, england with the pakistanis, portugal with brazilians and africans, spain with north africans, france with pretty much everything, germany with the turkish, etc.

I myself am not a hammilton fan, but it's got nothing to do with race or nacionality. My 2nd favorite driver was Mansel (Senna was and always will be GOD ;) ), it's simply that I don't like him. I think he's a conceited, arrogant SOB. Much like Schumaker was, I didn't like him either. I'm not saying he's not a good driver, he is, but there's more to it than that. There's champions, and then there's Champions. And, for example, while schumaker won more championships than anyone else, he's not in the same league as Fangio, Senna, Prost, Mansel, Piquet, both the Hills (Graham and Damon) and Fittipaldi.

All these, to me, while not simply great champions, were great men, trully inspiring. I didn't see that in schummy, and i don't see it in hammy either.

Damn straight that's racist. Doesn't matter if they're Hamilton fans or not - even if they are, it's still insulting and degrading, and if they're not then it's even worse. If they'd done that in an American stadium they would've been ejected by security for sure and at the very least they'd probably be facing a hefty fine, if not something more serious.

Edited by JD in DC