IGNORED

Motogp

Basically Formula One for motorbikes. I've followed this ever since my dad got a motorbike, it's a brilliant sport and one which has me up at all hours watching. Anyone on here a fan of it?

Calendar

April 12th : Qatar

April 26th : Motegi

May 3rd : Jerez

May 17th : Le Mans

May 31st : Mugello

June 14th : Catalunya

June 27th : Assen

July 5th : Laguna Seca

July 19th : Sachsenring

July 26th : Donnington

August 16th : Brno

August 30th : Indianapolis

September 6th : Misano

September 20th : Balatonring

October 4th : Estoril

October 18th : Phillip Island

October 25th : Sepang

November 8th : Valencia

Current World Champion

Valentino Rossi (ITA)

Official Website

Results/Winners

Qatar: Casey Stoner

Motegi: Jorge Lorenzo

Jerez: Valentino Rossi

Le Mans: Jorge Lorenzo

Edited by dark

I'll watch it if I've nothing better to do (Suzy Perry HERE is reason enough for that :P ), but made a point of it last year because of James Toseland, though often turned it off if he crashed or started going backwards. Hopefully he'll have a better year this time, beyond him I do't really care who wins as long as it's not that obnoxious little shite Jorge Lorenzo.

Couple of decent young Brits in the 125's (Smith & Redding) which is unusual so a bit of hope for the future there :) .

James Toseland had a poor season last time out. Even though he was a rookie he had high expectations of doing something special (especially after his great position at Qatar) he didn't seem to suit the bigger engine and he still rode the thing like it was a superbike. His Donnington weekend was one to forget too, he had thousands of fans waiting to see him race, only to see him fall at the first corner (on the first lap) he needs to do better next season or he could find himself at a poor team or even back to Superbikes.

Don't mind Jorge Lorenzo to be honest, he does have a bad side but thats always going to happen with someone Spanish :P he managed to secure three pole positions from three at the start of the MotoGP season (Qatar, Jerez & Estoril) and managed to win on home turf. Shame he had that massive high-side at Shanghai, broke both his legs and ruled him out of any championship hope. Should be a force next season though, he still raced with broken legs and managed to get good lap times.

Bradley Smith is a good rider, started in the field when he was very young and still has a lot of potential and a few good seasons ahead of him. He will be in MotoGP when the time is right for sure.

I miss the great champions of old, like Mick Doohan, Kevin Schwantz, both the Waynes (Rainey and Gardner), and the crazy guys that were Randy Mamola and Max Biaggi.

I mean check this out:

How he manages not to fall down is anybody's guess...

I think there was this hot blonde in the stands, and...

Is it just me, or does he go past vertical...?

Anyways, Rossi is a magician on a bike, but I miss those days when there was tons of drivers and loads of competition...

He goes past the line vertical because he's gonna crash and saves himself at the last minute. I'm glad that Max Biaggi has left MotoGP because he was a blatent cheat, good rider, but cheat. Remember when he elbowed Rossi off the track?

Coulden't take the fact that there was a younger rider that was clearly better than him.

I got the video below, Rossi is the rider in yellow (Camel Yamaha)

>CLIP<

Edited by dark

...he didn't seem to suit the bigger engine and he still rode the thing like it was a superbike.

Small point but I'm fairly sure Superbikes have considerably bigger engines than Motogp. Different certainly (based on production bikes as opposed to out and out racers), and not the same performance but not smaller :) .

Not been the same since Barry Sheene for me :D .

Small point but I'm fairly sure Superbikes have considerably bigger engines than Motogp. Different certainly (based on production bikes as opposed to out and out racers), and not the same performance but not smaller :) .

My mum fancied the arse off him. She used to drag her boyfriend with her to the races and make him wait with her while she hunted for Sheene after the race lol.

The engines are very similar and the MotoGP have had them reduced for safety reasons but with all the new technology the teams have got around the problem and actually made the bikes faster, making them faster into corners and overall making them just as dangerous as the 990's. Plus Superbikes is considered a step down from MotoGP, Superbikes is the best of its kind but with all of the hype around MotoGP it is considered the better field to be in.

Plus Superbikes is considered a step down from MotoGP, Superbikes is the best of its kind but with all of the hype around MotoGP it is considered the better field to be in.

I know all that :rolleyes: . My point was that the engines in superbikes can be up to 1200cc, while motogp's are 500cc (I think).

So your point that Toseland couldn't adapt to "bigger" engines was wrong :) .

Your point about the 500cc engine was wrong so were even :P It's 800cc.

Silverstone Circuits Limited have unveiled provisional plans for a number of striking modifications to the track and spectator viewing areas ahead of MotoGP’s arrival in 2010.

Plans to make significant changes at the Silverstone circuit in England have been revealed, following the recent signing of a five year agreement between Silverstone and Dorna Sports, the commercial and television rights holder for MotoGP, which will see the World Championship arrive at the iconic Northamptonshire circuit from 2010.

The most significant addition to the circuit will be a new section of track running from the approach at Abbey corner to a spectacular ‘Arrowhead’ at the inside of Becketts corner. The Arrowhead will then join up with the existing National Straight. Additional sections of track will also be laid at the Chapel and Club corners.

Edited by dark

• 4 weeks later...

The season comes closer as the riders head towards another set of races. With new teams and riders the season looks set to be once again as entertaining as ever. Valentino Rossi looks set to defend his title with some impressive testing out in Jerez, Jorge Lorenzo looked all set to be a title contender in his debut year had he lot had two massive highsides at Shanghai and Laguna Seca. James Toseland had a poor season but looks to be putting that behind him as he and American team-mate Colin Edwards tear up the timesheets on the Monster Tech 3 Yamaha.

Colin Edwards continued his impressive winter testing form during the MotoGP Official Night Test at the Losail International Circuit, the American consistently appearing in the top three for the majority of the test as he continued an impressive switch to Bridgestone tyres.

Lorenzo is certainly in better physical shape for the upcoming campaign than he was for his rookie season, recovering from a spate of injuries and with a year of callouses and endurance muscle building behind him. The return to full fitness provides him with an optimistic outlook on what he expects of the next few months. I've got part of an interview below if anyone wants a read.

If I can stay injury-free and don’t have bad luck, and if the bike goes well, then I can aspire to win races this season –more than just the one. We have to have the mentality of always trying to improve upon the results of the previous season, and it would be ideal to finish higher than fourth in the standings,” said Lorenzo after racing against members of his team on the karting course. As he has done on previous occasions, he also weighed in with some humble analysis of the title favourites.

• 2 weeks later...

It starts in a week and already the season has hit the riders. British rider James Toseland crashed during his test in Jerez and had to be taken from the circuit on a stretcher. His team-mate Colin Edwards completed the test with flying colours. James thanked the fans afterwards and will be able to take part in the Practice, Qualifying & Race at Qatar next weekend.

The winner of the 07' season Casey Stoner has been the man to catch during these short tests. He managed to reach the top spot and win himself the BMW prize. Valentino Rossi is looking like a title contender yet again on the FIAT Yamaha whilst teams such as Playboy Honda LCR and Team Alice are in an attempt to boost themselves from the back of the pack to the top. The action has started already and Qatar looks to be an entertaining race.

• 2 weeks later...

The first race of the MotoGP season has been cancelled due to rain. A rare rainstorm at the Losail International Circuit on Sunday evening saw the first MotoGP race of the year cancelled at the Commericalbank Grand Prix of Qatar. Postponement to Monday is under consideration. After shortened 250cc and 125cc races earlier in the evening at Losail on Sunday the MotoGP race at the first Grand Prix of the year had to be cancelled due to a heavy rainstorm in the Arabian desert, which made it unsafe to ride at the 5.380km circuit. The race could be run on Monday.

Gutted. This falls into the hands of Nicky Hayden though who was trying to be fit to race.