IGNORED

What To Do In England

chongli

I loving nothing on TT more than interacting with my British toffee brethren. I again seek your assistance. I'm going on a trip to England in about a month and I'm hammering out the details now. I'll be taking a route that will go through Manchester, Liverpool, South Yorkshire, East Midlands, West Midlands, The Cotswolds, London, and anything in between those places. I would greatly appreciate tips for things to do, especially from people who live or have lived in those places, of which I'm sure there are many. I already know I'm going to a football contest in Liverpool on the 29th of November. What else? Thanks.

That's a pretty good itinerary but I'm not going to be a lot of help. London's the only bit I know quite well and all the "sites" there are kind of well documented.

Just miss Madame Tussauds though (why do tourists always want to go there, it's constantly top of the lists and it's shite). Just one thought....if you get a chance to get out of the center of London and like a bit of history Hampton Court Palace (http://www.hrp.org.uk/hamptoncourtpalace/) is a big favourite of mine.

If you decide to venture down into the South West I'm your man B) .

What to do in England!.....lot depends really!...first visit?....with mates...girlfriend etc!

Like MikeO, I'm not on your intended route, so am not too sure of what those areas have to offer, except for the obvious tourist attractions....dito what MikeO says, avoid madame Tussauds at all costs!

London's pretty easy whan it comes to filling your time, just bring plenty of money :(

Enjoy your football contest on the 29th!....isn't that the Everton Liverpool game?

If it is and you want to make a big impression at the match, take along a big stars and stripes flag, and wave it towards the liverpool fans, and wave it really hard if Everton score!.............second thoughts, better not!

OH and bring for your visit, warm waterpfroof clothing.....just a little hunch I've got about how the weather will be.

What ever the weather may be have a great time, and may the 29th be a highlight, hope you really enjoy England.

Edited by Blue 250

If it is and you want to make a big impression at the match, take along a big stars and stripes flag, and wave it towards the liverpool fans, and wave it really hard if Everton score!.............second thoughts, better not!

Very good.

If you decide to venture down into the South West I'm your man B) .

Mike, there is in fact an off chance that we will sacrifice a couple days in London to go to Devon and/or Cornwall. In that case, what would you suggest?

Probably the best bit of advice for a Yank is not to drive, especially at rush hours, unless you happen to be a resident of one of the biggest U.S cities. I'm told the only comparison that can be made is with New York - it can take me 45 minutes to drive the 3 miles home from work, and I don't live in one of the worst areas for driving - in York, for example, it took me around an hour just to get out of the (very small) city centre on a friday evening.

One thing I will advise you do is GO TO A CURRY HOUSE! A very british tradition!

The Imperial War Museums are a great way to spend a couple of hours, especially the bunkers, thought they were fantastic.

I'll echo what the rest have said, as someone who's been to London as a tourist a couple of times, avoid Tussauds and the London Eye. If you honestly ever thought they were such things as fire safety regulations then you've never been crammed into Tussauds :lol:

A Fulham match would be something to take in if you're in London on a match day, I dunno how the match days fall for that weekend but I quite liked Craven Cottage.

But seriously, your must do is getting in a London cab. Not for any of those shitty touristy reasons of OMG it's a black cab. Oh no. You want to talk football. And you'll never laugh more than at the complete and utter bullshite London cabbies come out with :lol:

Mike, there is in fact an off chance that we will sacrifice a couple days in London to go to Devon and/or Cornwall. In that case, what would you suggest?

For free, the moors....Dartmoor or Exmoor...I love them.

Glastonbury is intersting (http://www.isleofavalon.co.uk/avalon-brief.html), and in the same are you've got Wells (smallest City in England http://www.wells-uk.com/local_history.php) and Cheddar Gorge (http://www.cheddarcaves.co.uk/).

They're Somerset/Devon but if you get as far as Cornwall then the Eden Project is pretty amazing (http://www.edenproject.com/).