IGNORED

2012 Stadium

Guest Reg Reagan

The six metre fall from north to south meant that a "cut and fill" approach could be adopted that would enable a permanent, landscaped bowl to be formed within the earth for the 25,000 permanent seats, with a separate temporary structure for 55,000 temporary seats above.

does that mean they are going to reduce the capacity from 80, 000 to 25, 000?

I don't know about any one else, but that seems a little retarded to me!

Can't be set in stone though because it's come out today that Spurs are looking at moving there... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/9050558.stm

....and 25,000 is nowhere big enough for them, not even enough for Wet Spam I'd have thought.

Must be some middle ground.

I think the original plan was to reduce it but keep it as a running track, then it was decided to turn it into a football stadium, so West Ham have applied to take it on.

Then Spurs being spurs want everything other people want, even tho they have submitted plans for a new ground at Harringay they have now thrown their hat into the ring.

Believe its going to be a 55.000 all seater.

Alan Sugar was on football focus yesterday, as Louis said it could be an attempt by Spurs to put some pressure on Haringey council.

According to him Spurs did get planning permission in full on Thursday BUT there were several caveats added by the council which would add at least £30M to the cost of the proposed development.

Guest Reg Reagan

Why does it have to be kept as a running track?

i dont think its necessary but I do think that the government and stadium management are looking to the future perhaps by hosting events like IAAF and Commonwealth games?

Its in demand by most sports, but the Hammers might be favorites because they agreed to keep the running track. It also helps that Boris Johnson, above all else wants it to be a football stadium

West Ham United F.C.: Following the 2010 takeover by David Gold and David Sullivan, the new owners have expressed their desire to make the Olympic Stadium as the club's new home. With Boris Johnson expressing his desire for a football team to take over the stadium after the Olympics this seems the most likely option.[13] At the opening of the formal bid process, West Ham were considered favourites after having dropping their initial opposition to having a running track and planning a conversion to create a 58,000 capacity venue, which would also host International Football (supporting the 2018 World Cup host bid), International Athletics, as well as Essex County Cricket Club, international Twenty20 cricket matches, NFL matches and Live Nation.[14]

Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG): The company that redeveolped the loss making Millennium Dome exhibition venue are interested, also Rugby Giants Saracens and Wasps.