IGNORED

Jelle Vossen

i was half expecting him to show up here, as alot of our national talents do..

the first 12 of his goals in the league, he scored one more this weekend. He also scored 4 times in 4 Europa league qualifiyng games, 2 of them against Porto Fc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_XrsiHTow&feature=related

The story also ends with the fact that he signed a new five year contract last month. So it's pretty much a complete non-story

In belgium a contract like that is given to maximise the transfer fee, there is no way in hell Genk can keep him for an other season, if he keeps playing like this

Edited by Churinga

He's not a very good player, imo. He's on a weird hot streak right now where every time he shoots at the goal, he scores. He's been pretty awful the last couple of seasons.

Decent player for the level of play in the Belgian league, but would be lost in a better competition.

£5m for him is insane.

Jamie : I think they signed him to a five year contract so they could sell him at a higher price, not to keep him that long. (if that makes sense).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1316302/Aston-Villa-Everton-eyeing-5m-Belgium-hotshot-Jelle-Vossen.html

The Daily Mail (which means its probably bollocks) say we are monitoring 21 year old Belgium forward Jelle Vossen with Racing Genk supposedly wanting £5M

I'm afraid they'll want more than 5 million if someone wants him this winter, he'll probably stay to finish the season and then leave.

He's not a very good player, imo. He's on a weird hot streak right now where every time he shoots at the goal, he scores. He's been pretty awful the last couple of seasons.

Decent player for the level of play in the Belgian league, but would be lost in a better competition.

£5m for him is insane.

Jamie : I think they signed him to a five year contract so they could sell him at a higher price, not to keep him that long. (if that makes sense).

i don't fully agree with this, 17 goals in 14 games isn't just down to luck, even if it is just the belgium league, i refuse to believe that

i was half expecting him to show up here, as alot of our national talents do..

the first 12 of his goals in the league, he scored one more this weekend. He also scored 4 times in 4 Europa league qualifiyng games, 2 of them against Porto Fc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_XrsiHTow&feature=related

In belgium a contract like that is given to maximise the transfer fee, there is no way in hell Genk can keep him for an other season, if he keeps playing like this

I know YouTube could make anyone look good but he does look like a natural goal scorer in those clips and if you could get him for £5M its got to be worth a pop

i don't fully agree with this, 17 goals in 14 games isn't just down to luck, even if it is just the belgium league, i refuse to believe that

remember though, apparently 31 goals in League One doesnt make you any good either (not implying Holy is one of these believers)...

£5m for him is insane.

he's 21 now the last couple of seasons he would have been 19 and 20..maybe he's just maturing? i don't know much about him obviously just basing that on his age

I hope you're right. Him and Lukaku as our strikers .. :).

But would you really pay more than 2m for him right now? Honestly, I'd rather have Kevin De Bruyne.

i always find it very hard to put a price tag on players, especially young players. He gave some signs of potential with cercle brugge last season, and is doing fantastic know, but to really make an honest assesment of his quality I'd say it's too soon. He, like Lukaku and De Bruyne, still have alot to proof.

A little off topic, but I have bad news about De Bruyne: he's a Liverpool fan :(

Edited by Churinga

he's 21 now the last couple of seasons he would have been 19 and 20..maybe he's just maturing? i don't know much about him obviously just basing that on his age

it's true, that he's young and ideally he should stay in belgium and really proof he's good enough for a bigger league, but as the european topscorer he'll catch alot of interest during this season, and knowing Belgium as i do, the hype is just starting. today it's everton, tommorow it's chelsea real madrid and barcelona.. all "interrested".. things will be made extremly hard for him to keep his feet on the ground.

I hope you're right. Him and Lukaku as our strikers .. :).

I'm liking that, certainly with Hazard/ De Bruyne/ Mertens feeding them from the flanks, Defour/fellaini/Vertonghen in centre midfield.. now we need 4 intelligent defenders, atm we only have one who really lives up to my expectations in the national team and thats Vermaelen. Kompany often good for City, not for Belgium..Alderweireldt and Boyata are looking promising..

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit he impressed me against Austria and Kazachstan. And his work rate really amazed me. But still I don't think he's worth £5million (not even €5Million) of our money. Especially since arguably our best player and our only player that is comfortable on the wing is leaving for free in the summer.

I hope Jelle won't leave for 2 more seasons or something :) Last year he was great at Cercle Brugge and this season he is even better (scored a goal again yesterday) he is in the best shape and he is doing great in the national team. So hope Everton won't buy him.

His best points are his work rate and positioning and Yes I don't think he is worth €5 million on this point, but if he keeps up like this and do great in the Belgium squad, I can see why he is not worth that money.

• 3 months later...
For 4 million Bills got to get his cheque book out, especially if its Euros it only works out at 3.5 in pounds! Hardly a risk is it and his scoring records awesome!

I would rather he did not. Don't think he'll make the grade here. He scored a lot of those goals in the first months of this season btw, his goal scoring form seems like it's something from the past. He would have to play in the Cahill-role too or as a second striker because he isn't capable of leading the line on his own.

If (and I stress this: if) we can spend the Pienaar-money I would rather keep it than waste it to get someone in who isn't good enough because we're desperate as shit. If we keep the money from the Pienaar deal until the summer and we can add to that with money from a permanent Yobo or Yakubu transfer, we might get someone in who's actually decent.

First thing what came to my mind about that churingas 12 goals youtube video was that he scores a lot from "onetimers" , and i like that. We have seen too many of those players who always try to stop ball forst, before shot. Wasting time and wasting oppoturnities. Onetimers FTW :)

• 5 months later...

Toffees Sweet On Vossen

Written by GrandOldTeam on Mon 25th July 11, 19:34

Everton are set to make a renewed move for the highly touted Belgian international striker Jelle Vossen from Genk.

David Moyes is in the market for a solution to Evertons striking concerns, and he has identified the youngster as a target, having first approached the Belgian side for his signature earlier this summer.

After missing out on Demba Ba and Charles N´Zogbia this summer, Everton have reaffirmed their interest in the 22-year-old and are now poised to make an improved offer, believed to be in the region of £6m.

Scouts have kept a sharp eye on his progress over the past season and have been impressed as the youngster helped fire his club to the Belgian Jupiler Pro League this season with 17 goals.

Read more: http://www.grandoldteam.com/news/transfer-news/2011/jul/25/toffees-sweet-on-vossen#ixzz1T93hfRhy