IGNORED

DIY - Have you got your tool in your hand?

Avinalaff

Anyone into DIY or hobbyist stuff and playing with tools?

If so, what do you make etc?

I built myself a workshop recently and have been filling it up with various tools as I go along.

So far, I've got everything from Lathes to Routers to Drills to Saws etc, sanders and chisels etc, but still need a few bits to be fully independant.

I figured I'd eventually learn how to do woodwork and maybe build a guitar or similar.

Doner a few bird boxes so far just to get used to a few tools, and refurbished the picnic bench.

Can't believe how expensive wood is. unsure.png

Now I just need to figure out what to make. biggrin.png Any hobbyists in the house?

Men and power tools, like women and shoes

I run a sheet metal business so have all manner of guillotines, presses, folders. I find myself making all sorts. Im pretty practical and reuse all the wooden pallets that come in, so far I made the frame for a huge decked area in the garden, a bed for my little un, a tree house and a rabbit hutch.

I would love to build a house one day, all my own work but I reckon it will take about 2 years non-stop

Did you really build that Louis? And why, to burn it? biggrin.png

laugh.png

i dick about with the odd thing but i'm more of a fixer than a maker to be honest...if summat breaks then i always try and mend it myself no matter what it is..i love electrical stuff i just enjoy openin things up and havin a mooch inside them! did it at school but it was grim as fuck cos it was just soldering circuit boards and balls like that never actually building anythin of any use..except for a fuse tester which i still use today though!

Edited by marcopaulo

laugh.png

i dick about with the odd thing but i'm more of a fixer than a maker to be honest...if summat breaks then i always try and mend it myself no matter what it is..i love electrical stuff i just enjoy openin things up and havin a mooch inside them! did it at school but it was grim as fuck cos it was just soldering circuit boards and balls like that never actually building anythin of any use..except for a fuse tester which i still use today though!

I have been known to do that. Except when put back together I still have 2 things left, ah well it still works. I have burnt down 8 houses though not sure why laugh.png

Make open fronted bird boxes and insert bamboo canes into the box/houes sell them as insect houses, we've got two in the garden, both being used by leaf cutter bees.

Watching the bees cut perfect circles out of leaves, fly back to the insect house and do their 'stuff ' with the bit's passes away a few pleasent moments.It's even better when the circes are being cut from leaves beyond your own garden fence.

You wont make much money out of making then selling them, but you could give them away as presents.

The world needs more bees, and what they can do for a garden.

Make open fronted bird boxes and insert bamboo canes into the box/houes sell them as insect houses, we've got two in the garden, both being used by leaf cutter bees.

Watching the bees cut perfect circles out of leaves, fly back to the insect house and do their 'stuff ' with the bit's passes away a few pleasent moments.It's even better when the circes are being cut from leaves beyond your own garden fence.

You wont make much money out of making then selling them, but you could give them away as presents.

very interesting yet bizarre post!

I agree about the bees.

They are an endangered species apparently. Not sure I'd want a whole nest of them in my garden though if I'm honest.

I did have quite a large family of Earwigs in the loft compartment of the bird feeder. Probably not the safest place to build a home if you are an insect. I reckon if one bird got in it would be bye bye Earwigs.

Below are a few pictures of some stuff I've made, and my little workshop. Took me a while as the editor is difficult to use with pics.

P1010044.jpg

P1010043.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010041.jpg

Edited by Avinalaff