IGNORED

Alex Ferguson retirement

It struck me that Ferguson will be thinking of retiring soon, (like every year) but has he missed the opportunity to go out with a smile?

If City win the league, which they might well do, is his retirement going to turn into embarrassment at the hands of his bitter rivals. Will City be the final straw that breaks his back, and could he bear playing runner up to City, should it happen?

Going out on a high, must concern him. It must. He must be kicking himself that he hasn't gone already.

He will be desperate to win the league this year, and if he does, I think he will 'definitely' retire.

I envisage a knee jerk reaction in January if the title is close, with United spending big, and it won't surprise me if he was to go straight for players he can get cheap, such as Baines, or Fellaini.

Also, Moyes might be quite happy to let them go, if he was to be offered the next United job in the deal, which he would surely take if offered, unless we were sold.

Let's pretend that United 'did' offer Moyes the job, despite other managers possibly being better odds. Moyes might not want to manage United, just as United's crown is slipping, especially if he can manage Everton just as we get investment.

Everton legend v United runner up? Hmmmm .... tricky one.

Regardless though, I think the Ferguson volcano is grumbling at the moment. If United win the league, I think he will be 100% gone. He won't risk a City dominance while he's gaffer.

If they don't ? Well, that's an interesting one.

Moyes getting the job is only a side step.

My main focus for debate is regarding City, and whether Ferguson could stomach being a runner up to them every year etc.

If City win the league, and he retires, City will claim they caused it, which would not sit well with United fans.

Is he trapped between a rock and a hard place?

My main focus for debate is regarding City, and whether Ferguson could stomach being a runner up to them every year etc.

If City win the league, and he retires, City will claim they caused it, which would not sit well with United fans.

Completely agree Av, I think he'd feel sick to the stomach if he announced his retirement for 'X' and that year City win the league. Unfortunately for him, for the forseeable future, City are going to keep winning the league. and the cups.

To be honest I couldnt care less. The sooner hes out of the media the better in my opinion.

he nearly left last season, he does'nt get on with the president i dont think

wasnt so much Pep leaving, more that he hasnt really proven himself as much as Mourihno. I know hes won the CL and hes young but I think with the Barca side most people could. Dont mean to be disrespectful to him, he just needs to win more, and in a different climate with lesser teams before he should be considered for Utd.

wasnt so much Pep leaving, more that he hasnt really proven himself as much as Mourihno. I know hes won the CL and hes young but I think with the Barca side most people could. Dont mean to be disrespectful to him, he just needs to win more, and in a different climate with lesser teams before he should be considered for Utd.

i just know that Mourinho fucked himself up when he clipped that Barca coach round the head apparently, and some press conference, its only heresay at the end of the day, we wont know till Taggart actually retires

I don't think Mourinho's the man. I think Fergie would like to continue the United legacy with a 'seeming' long term appointment. Mourinho's not that man.

Of course, it's a poisoned chalice, but that's another thread!

I agree entirely that Fergie would want to go out in a high. I think he actually wants 5 European Cups, but must be realising that's a bit tricky these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Giggs / Neville got the job actually. IF Fergie stuck around for another 5 years and groomed them (so to speak!)

I genuinely can't see United being the team they've been with any other manager. Managers like Fergie are a couple of times in a lifetime. Hats off to the bugger.