IGNORED

Sports quiz.

Bill

5. I am reliably informed ( I didn't know it myself.) "The Rains of Ranjipur" As said by someone called Fred Macmurray. (The name is familiar but I am not sure if I can remember him. Rugged black haired actor?, Anyway I think that could be right my mate is a bit of a film buff.

Rubes, Your reliable source is not very reliable.tongue.png

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beard got Gypsy Rose Lee, and Cyprus, so there is just four left.

4 what magazine wrote Fighting for peace is like fucking for chastity.

5 In what film was line A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do

7 Jenny Von Westphalen was married to who

9 Who wrote the music for the film ET

5's answer is commonly thought to be from a johnWayne film but that's a common misconception, but I dont know who actually said it! :)

And Bill are u sure 9 isnt John Williams? I'd have put my house on it. I've got loads of soundtrack compilations and ET us always credited to him on them???

Edited by mogsy

5's answer is commonly thought to be from a johnWayne film but that's a common misconception, but I dont know who actually said it! smile.png

And Bill are u sure 9 isnt John Williams? I'd have put my house on it. I've got loads of soundtrack compilations and ET us always credited to him on them???

The quiz answers told me different Mogsy so i've just looked it up on the net and John Williams is indeed the correct answer.

4 what magazine wrote Fighting for peace is like fucking for chastity...... Knave

5 In what film was line A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do... it was said by Alan Ladd in the movie.. Shane

7 Jenny Von Westphalen was married to who... Karl Marx

As Mogsy has just brought an error to light, i will once again tell you that i dont know most of the answers so i dont hold any responsibility for them. If somebody definitely disputes, or is unhappy with any of the Answers we can look them up on the net

1- Julius Caesar

2- Sergai Prokofiev

3- Claude Monet

4- Knave, [March 1977]

5- Shane, [Alan Ladd]

6- Gypsy Rose Lee

7- Karl Marx

8- Rio de Janeiro

9- John Denver -- John Williams

10- Cyprus

11- Botany Bay

12- Polonius

13- Sikhism

14- Man powered (pedal)

15- Greenland

16- Los Angeles

Edited by Bill

Back to sport, seems to be a lot of cricket questions.

1 Who was the youngest golfer to compete in the 2002 Ryder Cup

2 What is the connection between Charlton Athletic FC and the capital of Anguilla

3 Who was the first boxer to receive a knighthood

4 Which cricket legend was thanked by Sir Tim Rice during an Oscar acceptance speech

5 What connects the death of Archduke Ferdinand and the 1984 Winter Olympics

6 Which is the only country to host a Summer Olympic Games in consecutive decades of the 20th century

7 In the world of sport what has maximum dimensions of 60 metres by 30 metres

8 In which sport do the rules state that the water must be a minimum of 1 metre deep

9 What is the official national sport of Bulgaria

10 Which team were playing Manchester United when Cantona launched a kung fu style assault on a spectator

11 What colour of caps are worn by the Australian national cricket team

12 Which county plays at home at the St Lawrence Ground

13 What kind of fruit is depicted on the badge of Worcestershire County Cricket Club

14 In 2002 who announced his retirement from international cricket having amassed a career total of 8029 runs in 128 Tests

15 Which king declared cricket illegal in 1477

Edited by Bill

Back to sport, seems to be a lot of cricket questions.

1 Who was the youngest golfer to compete in the 2002 Ryder Cup Rose

2 What is the connection between Charlton Athletic FC and the capital of Anguilla

3 Who was the first boxer to receive a knighthood Henry Cooper

4 Which cricket legend was thanked by Sir Tim Rice during an Oscar acceptance speech

5 What connects the death of Archduke Ferdinand and the 1984 Winter Olympics

6 Which is the only country to host a Summer Olympic Games in consecutive decades of the 20th century USA

7 In the world of sport what has maximum dimensions of 60 metres by 30 metres

8 In which sport do the rules state that the water must be a minimum of 1 metre deep Water Volleyball

9 What is the official national sport of Bulgaria Wrestling

10 Which team were playing Manchester United when Cantona launched a kung fu style assault on a spectator Crystal Palace

11 What colour of caps are worn by the Australian national cricket team Green

12 Which county plays at home at the St Lawrence Ground Somerset

13 What kind of fruit is depicted on the badge of Worcestershire County Cricket Club Pear

14 In 2002 who announced his retirement from international cricket having amassed a career total of 8029 runs in 128 Tests Brian Lara

15 Which king declared cricket illegal in 1477 Henry V

1 Who was the youngest golfer to compete in the 2002 Ryder Cup..... Tiger Woods

2 What is the connection between Charlton Athletic FC and the capital of Anguilla..........The Valley

3 Who was the first boxer to receive a knighthood...............Henry Cooper

4 Which cricket legend was thanked by Sir Tim Rice during an Oscar acceptance speech............Denis Compton

5 What connects the death of Archduke Ferdinand and the 1984 Winter Olympics........ He was assassinated in Sarajevo

6 Which is the only country to host a Summer Olympic Games in consecutive decades of the 20th century......USA

7 In the world of sport what has maximum dimensions of 60 metres by 30 metres.........Ice Hockey arena

8 In which sport do the rules state that the water must be a minimum of 1 metre deep........Water Polo

9 What is the official national sport of Bulgaria..........Basketball

10 Which team were playing Manchester United when Cantona launched a kung fu style assault on a spectator....... Crystal Palace

11 What colour of caps are worn by the Australian national cricket team.............Baggy Green ones

12 Which county plays at home at the St Lawrence Ground...............Proper name for Kent's County Ground

13 What kind of fruit is depicted on the badge of Worcestershire County Cricket Club..........Worcester Royal Pear

14 In 2002 who announced his retirement from international cricket having amassed a career total of 8029 runs in 128 Tests........Mark Taylor

15 Which king declared cricket illegal in 1477..................A mad one!!.....Crap on kings so Henry iv

75% I think Bill.

Very good, only 3 to get............

1-Who was the youngest golfer to compete in the Ryder Cup.

9-What is the official national sport of Bulgaria.

14- In 2002 who announced his retirement from international cricket having amassed a career total of 8029 runs in 128 Tests.

Mixed Sports ..............

1 In which sport do competitors perform a J lean and a bell lean

2 Who was Evander Holyfield fighting in a world title bout when a parachutist descended into the ring

3 Which former captain of the England football team has the middle names of Emerson Carlyle

4 Which famous ship do the runners pass after completing 10 km of the London Marathon

5 Who was the first John to be crowned snooker World Champion

6 Which singer performed at the opening ceremonies of the 1994 football World Cup and the 1995 rugby league World Cup

7 Which was the third Asian country to play Test cricket

8 What is the connection between a 1958 film starring Kirk Douglas and Minnesota’s American football team

9 Which German was voted European Sportsman of The Year in 1994

10 Who captained the 1987 cricket world champion

11 Which country won the first Cricket World Cup in 1975

12 What connects the badges of Hampshire, Yorkshire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire and Lancashire

13 Which county did Graham Gooch represent throughout his cricket career

14 In 1987 who was the last England captain of the 20th century to win an Ashes Series

15 Whose autobiography is entitled Dazzler

Edited by Bill

1 In which sport do competitors perform a J lean and a bell lean Canoeing

2 Who was Evander Holyfield fighting in a world title bout when a parachutist descended into the ring

3 Which former captain of the England football team has the middle names of Emerson Carlyle

4 Which famous ship do the runners pass after completing 10 km of the London Marathon Cutty Sark

5 Who was the first John to be crowned snooker World Champion Spencer

6 Which singer performed at the opening ceremonies of the 1994 football World Cup and the 1995 rugby league World Cup Diana Ross...certainly sang in '94

7 Which was the third Asian country to play Test cricket Sri Lanka

8 What is the connection between a 1958 film starring Kirk Douglas and Minnesota’s American football team Vikings

9 Which German was voted European Sportsman of The Year in 1994

11 Which country won the first Cricket World Cup in 1975 West Indies

12 What connects the badges of Hampshire, Yorkshire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire and Lancashire Rose

13 Which county did Graham Gooch represent throughout his cricket career Essex

14 In 1987 who was the last England captain of the 20th century to win an Ashes Series Mike Gatting

15 Whose autobiography is entitled Dazzler Darren Gough

1 In which sport do competitors perform a J lean and a bell lean ... Canoeing - Mike

2 Who was Evander Holyfield fighting in a world title bout when a parachutist descended into the ring.. Riddick Bowe - Mogsy

4 Which famous ship do the runners pass after completing 10 km of the London Marathon .. Cutty Sark - Mike

5 Who was the first John to be crowned snooker World Champion.. John Pulman - Mogsy

6 Which singer performed at the opening ceremonies of the 1994 football World Cup and the 1995 rugby league World Cup.. Diana Ross - Mike

7 Which was the third Asian country to play Test cricket.. Sri Lanka - Mike

8 Connection between a 1958 film starring Kirk Douglas and Minnesota’s American football team..The Vikings - Mike

9 Which German was voted European Sportsman of The Year in 1994.. Michael Schumaker - Mogsy

11 Which country won the first Cricket World Cup in 1975 .. West Indies - Mike

12 What connects the badges of Hampshire, Yorkshire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire and Lancashire .. A Rose - Mike

13 Which county did Graham Gooch represent throughout his cricket career.. Essex - Mike

14 In 1987 who was the last England captain of the 20th century to win an Ashes Series .. Mike Gatting - Mike

15 Whose autobiography is entitled Dazzler .. Darren Gough - Mike

Theres not many left.

Edited by Bill

1 In which sport do competitors perform a J lean and a bell lean ... Canoeing - Mike

2 Who was Evander Holyfield fighting in a world title bout when a parachutist descended into the ring.. Riddick Bowe - Mogsy

4 Which famous ship do the runners pass after completing 10 km of the London Marathon .. Cutty Sark - Mike

5 Who was the first John to be crowned snooker World Champion.. John Pulman - Mogsy

6 Which singer performed at the opening ceremonies of the 1994 football World Cup and the 1995 rugby league World Cup.. Diana Ross - Mike

7 Which was the third Asian country to play Test cricket.. Sri Lanka - Mike

8 Connection between a 1958 film starring Kirk Douglas and Minnesota’s American football team..The Vikings - Mike

9 Which German was voted European Sportsman of The Year in 1994.. Michael Schumaker - Mogsy

10 Who captained the 1987 cricket world champions

11 Which country won the first Cricket World Cup in 1975 .. West Indies - Mike

12 What connects the badges of Hampshire, Yorkshire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire and Lancashire .. A Rose - Mike

13 Which county did Graham Gooch represent throughout his cricket career.. Essex - Mike

14 In 1987 who was the last England captain of the 20th century to win an Ashes Series .. Mike Gatting - Mike

15 Whose autobiography is entitled Dazzler .. Darren Gough - Mike

Theres not many left.

3 Which former captain of the England football team has the middle names of Emerson Carlyle.

10 Who captained the 1987 cricket world champions.

1 What is the connection between Alex Higgins, Barry McGuigan and Jimmy White?

2 Who was the first cricketer to record forty ducks in Test Cricket?

3 Which city hosted the first World Athletics Championships?

4 Which team dropped out of the Football League in 1931 and had to wait until 1978 to return?

5 In which country did the game of ice hockey originate?

6 In which decade were women’s track and field events introduced into the Olympics?

7 In which sport would you find a telltale, a service box and a tin?

8 The racehorse Brigadier Gerard was named after a literary character created by which author?

9 In 1991 that became the first boxer to win world titles in six different weight categories?

10 In the game of golf what is a mulligan?

11 Who do the following nicknames belong to......

A The Kaiser

B Crazy Horse

C The Galloping Major

D The Preston Plumber

E The White Feather

Edited by Bill

Being honest, am I just thick, or do other people struggle with most questions lol? I know odd ones, but buggered if I could answer them all, on any single quiz. blush.png

If you knew them all the quiz would be too easy, you probs know a couple, Mike might know a couple, and the Beard [smart arse] will probably know the rest. rofl.gif

2 Who was the first cricketer to record forty ducks in Test Cricket?

3 Which city hosted the first World Athletics Championships?

4 Which team dropped out of the Football League in 1931 and had to wait until 1978 to return? Wigan came in around that time but I didn't think they'd been in the league previously so maybe not. Cambridge United and Hereford were also elected from non-league but certainly never played there previously so I'm a bit unsureunsure.png

5 In which country did the game of ice hockey originate? Canada

6 In which decade were women’s track and field events introduced into the Olympics? '40s

7 In which sport would you find a telltale, a service box and a tin? Squash

8 The racehorse Brigadier Gerard was named after a literary character created by which author?

9 In 1991 that became the first boxer to win world titles in six different weight categories? Thomas Hearns

10 In the game of golf what is a mulligan?

A The Kaiser Franz Beckenbaeur

B Crazy Horse Emlyn Hughes

C The Galloping Major

D The Preston Plumber

E The White Feather

Checking it I think 4's a mistake Bill (I know you don't set them yourselftongue.png ). Newport County and Nelson lost their places in 1931...Wigan were the only new club in 1978 but hadn't been in the league previously.

Unless I'm missing something....wouldn't be the first timeunsure.png .

Hurricane, Tornado (?) Whirlwind

10 In the game of golf what is a mulligan? A gimme... don't bother putting as its so simple you couldn't miss.

E The White Feather Fabrizio Ravanelli

Checking it I think 4's a mistake Bill (I know you don't set them yourselftongue.png ). Newport County and Nelson lost their places in 1931...Wigan were the only new club in 1978 but hadn't been in the league previously.

Unless I'm missing something....wouldn't be the first timeunsure.png .

Been and checked it myself Mike and all i can find is that they reformed in 1932 after they had been in the league as Wigan borough the year before.

"Wigan Athletic was formed in 1932, following the winding up of Wigan Borough the previous year. Wigan Athletic was the fifth attempt to create a stable football club in the town following the demise of Wigan County, Wigan United, Wigan Town and Wigan Borough".

Edited by Bill

1 What is the connection, Alex Higgins, Barry McGuigan, Jimmy White. Hurricane-Cyclone-Whirlwind = DonKey

2 Who was the first cricketer to record forty ducks in Test Cricket.

3 Which city hosted the first World Athletics Championships.

4 Which team dropped out of the Football League in 1931 until 1978 to return.. Wigan [unsure] = Mike

5 In which country did the game of ice hockey originate.. Canada = Mike

6 In which decade were women’s track and field events introduced into the Olympics.

7 In which sport would you find a telltale, a service box and a tin? all parts of a Squash Court.. Squash = Mike.

8 The racehorse Brigadier Gerard was named after a literary character created by which author.

9 Who became the first boxer to win world titles in six different weight categories.Thomas Hearns = Mike

10 In the game of golf what is a mulligan .. A free shot = DonKey

A The Kaiser .. Franz Beckanbauer = Mike

B Crazy Horse .. Emlyn Hughes = Mike

C The Galloping Major

D The Preston Plumber

E The White Feather .. Fabrizio Ravenelli = DonKey

Edited by Bill