IGNORED

duffy called back to everton squad!

markduff

I really hope shane gets a chance and starts playing more for everton, i am obsessed with having young players come through and it seems like he is up for it smile.png

I agree! We have no money, an ageing squad and some talented young players that I am sure would work their butts off if given a chance. Fair enough to introduce them gradually but at present it is too gradual. Need to be 10% more bold.

He has the chance to fight for his place, but why risk it today? Sentiment aside, is it not wise to play the guys who are used to playing together in a knockout situation? See how it goes, and maybe give him 20 minutes at the end?

I would prefer not to risk one of the others getting injured. It might be a knockout situation but its Tamworth (w/out meaning to sound disprespectful) and If I am honest I dont really care about the cup because we could potentially have more things to worry about.

I would prefer not to risk one of the others getting injured. It might be a knockout situation but its Tamworth (w/out meaning to sound disprespectful) and If I am honest I dont really care about the cup because we could potentially have more things to worry about.

The cup is ace. biggrin.png

The cup is ace. biggrin.png

I'm a lover of the Cup too. The F.A one obviously.

Dont get me wrong, normally I am a fan of the cup BUT we have a threadbare squad with several injuries, we will be best suited to concentrating on the league for the increased prize money and its not as if we even have a sniff of winning the thing.

League is a MUCH bigger priority if you ask me. The last thing we need is additional games and replays etc etc.

Anything can happen in the F.A cup, with some good fortune on the day and everybody pulling their weight things can be achieved, look at all the non glamour clubs also without financial benefits in the last ten years who have made a name for themselves in this competition and either won it or gone all the way, I hope we get a favorable draw later today, I know we tend to perform better against more illustrious opposition and we've seen before how Everton can so easily trip up against lower league opponents but hand on heart we'd prefer a Championship team or beyond would be even better

And what of the league, too many inconsistencies thus far, ok we've had players out and all but sum total being I feel a Euro place at end of season may be a bridge too far this season, still enough time to grab a place by end of season, but with other clubs around us also in the mix and picking up points I feel sometimes other than trying to obtain the highest place possible this season, that being somewhere between 6th and 10th, the F.A cup surely represents our best chance of success this season. What would you rather have though, say a 7th place finish or our first domestic trophy in 17 years, the latter alone gives me the desire to take this competition with some tenacity.

Anything can happen in the F.A cup, with some good fortune on the day and everybody pulling their weight things can be achieved, look at all the non glamour clubs also without financial benefits in the last ten years who have made a name for themselves in this competition and either won it or gone all the way, I hope we get a favorable draw later today, I know we tend to perform better against more illustrious opposition and we've seen before how Everton can so easily trip up against lower league opponents but hand on heart we'd prefer a Championship team or beyond would be even better

And what of the league, too many inconsistencies thus far, ok we've had players out and all but sum total being I feel a Euro place at end of season may be a bridge too far this season, still enough time to grab a place by end of season, but with other clubs around us also in the mix and picking up points I feel sometimes other than trying to obtain the highest place possible this season, that being somewhere between 6th and 10th, the F.A cup surely represents our best chance of success this season. What would you rather have though, say a 7th place finish or our first domestic trophy in 17 years, the latter alone gives me the desire to take this competition with some tenacity.

We wont win the FA Cup. You're quite right that teams who show desire, organisation and hard work and get far in cup competitiions. unfortunately we show none of those qualities at the moment and unless we suddenly spark into life, as soon as we run into a half decent team, we will struggle.

Without knowing the exact figures, I would have thought that getting to the semi's wouldnt get us as much money as getting a couple of higher positions in the league. We are already short on numbers and already playing 'unfit' players and having to play potentially 5 or 6 more games in an already period would kill us off. We arent safe yet and we are showing relegation type performances, and while I dont think we will go down, I would rather not bother with the Cup and concentrate on preparing properly for some important games in the league.

Bit of a double edged sword really, we can concentrate on the league, I'm almost certain there won't be a relegation, not because we are too good to go down it's just that I simply can't see that happening, and try and gain as high a place as possible up from mid table and take with it the bonus handed out at end of season financial wise and watch on, come April or May as a Forest or Q.P.R. make it to the Cup Final (that could have been us etc)and have a grand day out as we watch on from our 'respectable' end of league finish, or put the FA cup as some priority and Moyes goes out to win our first silver since 1995 and we end up in a lower league placing, I tell you know I'm really in favor of the latter, OK, Everton finish 7th or thereabouts or 6th even if possible, that's all very well but there will be nothing to show for it in terms of actual bona fide accomplishments. I'd take the FA cup right now over it in an ideal world, trip to Wembley again, first silverware in 17 damn years, and it has been far too long now and with it a place in Europe anyway (although they change it every damn year but thats what I'd be expecting)

It seems we simply can't have our cake and eat it but on this day and seriously I'd really fancy a shot at this years tournament, we can go one better than 2009 with the right draws and a bit of a luck and Moyes going out to win. Why Not?

You know what these people are like at the Football Association, keep changing the damn rules for Euro entries for teams at end of season, it was always League Cup winners get a UEFA cup place, then they stopped that, then changed it again and I'm sure I remember at one time an FA cup winning team had no European adventure next season (I'm not talking about Heysel ban) because they stopped or changed it one season, it used to be the now defunct European Cup Winners Cup (as we had in 1984, 1995 etc) but since they got rid of that it's now the UEFA, sorry, Europa League shaking fist.png Cup and they get put into that, add all that on to the league itself where 4th placed teams have for years been given a European Cup place, I wasn't arguing with that about seven years ago but really, it should be for League Champions Only as it always was before they changed it

There's not a year that goes by without some snides changing this or changing that or altering something, hard to keep up sometimes

Bit of a double edged sword really, we can concentrate on the league, I'm almost certain there won't be a relegation, not because we are too good to go down it's just that I simply can't see that happening, and try and gain as high a place as possible up from mid table and take with it the bonus handed out at end of season financial wise and watch on, come April or May as a Forest or Q.P.R. make it to the Cup Final (that could have been us etc)and have a grand day out as we watch on from our 'respectable' end of league finish, or put the FA cup as some priority and Moyes goes out to win our first silver since 1995 and we end up in a lower league placing, I tell you know I'm really in favor of the latter, OK, Everton finish 7th or thereabouts or 6th even if possible, that's all very well but there will be nothing to show for it in terms of actual bona fide accomplishments. I'd take the FA cup right now over it in an ideal world, trip to Wembley again, first silverware in 17 damn years, and it has been far too long now and with it a place in Europe anyway (although they change it every damn year but thats what I'd be expecting)

It seems we simply can't have our cake and eat it but on this day and seriously I'd really fancy a shot at this years tournament, we can go one better than 2009 with the right draws and a bit of a luck and Moyes going out to win. Why Not?

It has been a long time, and while I would love Everton to win some silverware, I simply dont think we are playing at all well enough at the moment. We had our opportunities in previous seasons, playing better football with a better overall team and bar one final appearance (where we only just managed to beat the Utd kids in the semis) we have never really showed much Cup form as when push came to shove, we handed it to the opposition.

However, if we can win our next few games, climb the table and get through against Fulham then I am all for going on a cup run. Im just saying that in the current situation, id prefer to see us concentrate on our league performances than get distracted by the Cup.