IGNORED

Airshows

rubecula

This weekend it is the RIAT (Royal International Air Tattoo) and next week is the Farnborough airshow (Trade all week and airshow on the weekend) Both are pretty big events.

We have a contingent going to both of these, so we will be short staffed here. (I wanted to be part of one of the contingents but sadly I was not picked as I am needed here.)

Anyway, not sure how many of you will be going, or how many of you want to go to either, but anyone who does go, look out for the Hawk flypast in the shape of E II R as that is our lot, and of course the ground crews there are my work mates.

If you fancy going at all you can find the info for the airshows on the net. I hope you enjoy it, it takes an awful lot of work getting these things up and running and it is nice to be able to show off a bit.

RIAT:

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow

Farnborough:

http://farnborough.com/aircraft/public-flying-display-aircraft

Hope that anyone who does go has fun and it isn't too wet.

I am gutted too, I really really wanted to go to either of these. My boss encouraged me to put my name forward, so I did. I was led to believe they needed me there.

Bastards*

There will be a few of us older ones left behind. RIAT is lightly manned so not a lot of folks going there. And Farnborough they want the younger ones to go.

So we (the older ones and the stupid but saveable ones ... in my case both) will be worked hard to get the two shows perfect, with no rewards whatsoever.

I remember years back about 1986,1987 an air show and I had a best friend at the time who's mother had a stroke or heart attack attack during such a display, I haven't seen him for years. All I know it was an unbearably hot day and they lost a parent that day, it's something I'll always remember. I used to watch these displays myself but not anymore. Damn noisy things these days, but I can see where the attraction comes from. Biggin Hill is supposed to be the biggest event in the UK now.

are you a crab rubes? where about you based?

Not any more. Used to be a long long time ago in a place far far away.

Actually, after I left the airforce I swore blind I would NEVER go near another aeroplane. Ha! I work for a civilian company now maintaining aircraft for the RAF...... Well two companies really (Three if you count the folks that use the simulator) I work at RAF Valley on Anglesey.