IGNORED

The best left back in the premier league

I recently found out who is statistically the best left back in the world. I don't think you will ever guess it correctly within 3 attempts without looking it up tongue.png

It appears that he plays in the Premier League, so it's not going to be Marcelo, Coentrao, Alaba or Alba. It's also not Leighton Baines, Ashley Cole, Bjorn Arne Riise or Gael Clichy. In fact it's not even a fullback biggrin.png It's none other than Jan Vertonghen! lol I always thought he was great in that position for Spurs, but my friends mocked me and off course followed the media and claimed that Alba (Mister World Overrated 2012) was way better and stuff. The statistics prove different and he plays in a more difficult league.

I'm using whoscored.com as a source smile.png

Vertonghen is statistically the 6th best player in the EPL and the best Left Back, followed by Baines who is the 11th best player in the league.

272de4e3f235432cbcba32e.png

They made a "statistically best team" out of the 5 best leagues in Europe and Vertonghen would be the best left back :)

Edited by Mirallas

Would you swap Baines for Vertonghen?

Vertonghen is still primarily a centre back, so if you asked if I'd swap Heitinga for Vertonghen then YES PLEASE, but Baines.... that'd be stupid, cause you'd have no full blooded left back. Only a left flank all-rounder with Oviedo and a Centre Back who can play at LB with Vertonghen.

Edited by Mirallas

So, he is better than Baines at LB, but you wouldnt have him over Baines at LB? I just wont get the past couple of minutes back will I? Youve wasted them. You owe me 2 minutes. I will accept cash

On a bright day somewhere in the future, you will find out that this moment has been valuable :) One of those small things that make life worthwhile. Believe me, my friend, these 2 minutes have been well spent. But let me just spare another 15 seconds:

Vertonghen has a way better kicking technique than Baines. Vertonghen is a way better tackler. He defends more intelligently. He still has margin to grow and develop into a better defender than he already is. He dribbles equally well. He is an understudy of Kompany in the Belgian national team. If he can work on his crosses, he will be way better than Baines. Does that answer your question?

On a bright day somewhere in the future, you will find out that this moment has been valuable smile.png One of those small things that make life worthwhile. Believe me, my friend, these 2 minutes have been well spent. But let me just spare another 15 seconds:

Vertonghen has a way better kicking technique than Baines. Vertonghen is a way better tackler. He defends more intelligently. He still has margin to grow and develop into a better defender than he already is. He dribbles equally well. He is an understudy of Kompany in the Belgian national team. If he can work on his crosses, he will be way better than Baines. Does that answer your question?

fishing.gif

I suggest you go start a thread on a Chelsea forum telling them how Vertonghen is a better LB than Cole, as you won't get many bites here. Chelsea fans being knuckleheads though you might be in luck.