IGNORED

Warnock Has European Ambitions

Ambitious Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock has his sights set on clinching a place in Europe for next season.

While survival for the Blades on their return to the top flight after a 12-year absence would understandably be acceptable for Warnock, he feels the club have to aim higher.

Warnock knows he is merely providing his critics with further ammunition, but the 57-year-old is unafraid to set tough targets.

"A lot of people are saying it will be a great achievement if we survive," said Warnock.

"But we have to look higher than that because we've good players in the squad, a few I feel could easily play in the top-six sides, so I think we can more than handle our own at this level.

"I'd like to be in the top half of the table if we could, and if that's the case then I think you have to aim for Europe."

With typical tongue-in-cheek Warnock humour, he added: "When I first came to the club six and a half years ago the only chance we had of playing in Europe was taking on a team of waiters at the end of the season in Malaga.

"But now we have to set our sights high. With the squad I have, and the players I've brought in, we have to play without fear. That's the biggest thing.

You can worry too much about big names, but we have to worry about us.

We play four of last season's top six in the first six games, but the message I will be putting over to the lads will be 'Let's be disciplined, but let's enjoy it'.

"We know we are going to get punished at times, unlike against teams in the Championship, but that's the quality we will be playing against."

Warnock's hopes of prising Rob Hulse away from Leeds appear to be fading as the striker has made it clear he wishes to remain at Elland Road.

The Blades boss has been keen to add Hulse to his squad but the 26-year-old said: "I see my future at the club (Leeds), absolutely.

"I'm a Leeds United player and I'm very happy where I am."

:o:o :o I think hes dreaming...

Ambitious Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock has his sights set on clinching a place in Europe for next season.

While survival for the Blades on their return to the top flight after a 12-year absence would understandably be acceptable for Warnock, he feels the club have to aim higher.

Warnock knows he is merely providing his critics with further ammunition, but the 57-year-old is unafraid to set tough targets.

"A lot of people are saying it will be a great achievement if we survive," said Warnock.

"But we have to look higher than that because we've good players in the squad, a few I feel could easily play in the top-six sides, so I think we can more than handle our own at this level.

"I'd like to be in the top half of the table if we could, and if that's the case then I think you have to aim for Europe."

With typical tongue-in-cheek Warnock humour, he added: "When I first came to the club six and a half years ago the only chance we had of playing in Europe was taking on a team of waiters at the end of the season in Malaga.

"But now we have to set our sights high. With the squad I have, and the players I've brought in, we have to play without fear. That's the biggest thing.

You can worry too much about big names, but we have to worry about us.

We play four of last season's top six in the first six games, but the message I will be putting over to the lads will be 'Let's be disciplined, but let's enjoy it'.

"We know we are going to get punished at times, unlike against teams in the Championship, but that's the quality we will be playing against."

Warnock's hopes of prising Rob Hulse away from Leeds appear to be fading as the striker has made it clear he wishes to remain at Elland Road.

The Blades boss has been keen to add Hulse to his squad but the 26-year-old said: "I see my future at the club (Leeds), absolutely.

"I'm a Leeds United player and I'm very happy where I am."

:o   :o:o I think hes dreaming...

38080[/snapback]

:lol: think the heights of reaching the prem have starved his brain of :blink: oxygen :blink: wake up dreamer you will be lucky to escape relagation ;)

But they didnt get in europe

38089[/snapback]

west ham did, only though the f.a. cup, liverpool were already in europe so wet ham got given the place as they were the losers of the final

dont think shefield will stay up tbh them, watford and villa to go down

But they didnt get in europe

38089[/snapback]

As someone else has said West Ham did, even if they hadnt i still dont think hes being silly, both teams I mentioned got very close so why shouldnt he be aiming high? We didnt get that close to Europe last season but most of us think we should be aiming for Europe.

I was waiting for Claire to post, what did we expect him to say "I would like to stay up" is the logical statement.

I admire him for being such a silly bugger, but the Sheff Utd faithful will love him for it.

ATB

Mac

I was waiting for Claire to post, what did we expect him to say "I would like to stay up" is the logical statement.

I admire him for being such a silly bugger, but the Sheff Utd faithful will love him for it.

ATB

Mac

38133[/snapback]

But hes what the game needs someone with a heart bigger than his wallet. Hes a lovely guy and would have made the perfect England manager. Cant wait for him to be in the Premiership next season so he can face mouriniho as call him for what he really is. And the fans love him cos hes one of them.

it means a lot to raise the level and inspire both players, the club, and their fans alike, but that said, he needs to keep his feet planted firmly on the ground.

As we now as well as the next supporter, the Premiership can be an unforgiving place at the best of times, and to raise such expectations can well come back and haunt him towards the end of the season.

All credit for coming out with such a sweeping comment, however, I think he should have waiting until he has seen how his team performs, at least up until christmas, then come out with such comments if they are doing like Wigan was last season.

It is nice to see ambition though...all credit.

:)

But hes what the game needs someone with a heart bigger than his wallet.  Hes a lovely guy and would have made the perfect England manager.  Cant wait for him to be in the Premiership next season so he can face mouriniho as call him for what he really is.  And the fans love him cos hes one of them.

38134[/snapback]

Warnock is one of the biggest nobheads in football and I personally would love to him fall flat on his fat arse. And as for him showing Mourinho for what he really is youve got to be kidding, Warnock is a lunatic who will be fined left right and centre by the FA, hes a joke and needs to get a reality check.

Edited by EFCfan2007

I here he has shelled out on some Italian Pin striped suits for the season ahead...prob thinks he's all cosmopolitan now.

He may well be dressed for Europe but I doubt his team will provide to much foreign culture.

Not a shot @ Sheff Utd either, im a big believer that the top flight needs & will be better for having a team from a city the size of Sheffield.

Ive got nothing against Sheff U, i just cant stand Warnock. He'd cause a fight in an empty room, he doesnt bring anything positive to the game. The only thing he will show Mourinho is that Mourinho is not being as much of a dick as Warnock.

Edited by EFCfan2007

Ive got nothing against Sheff U, i just cant stand Warnock. He'd cause a fight in an empty room, he doesnt bring anything positive to the game. The only thing he will show Mourinho is that Mourinho is not being as much of a dick as Warnock.

38190[/snapback]

:lol: is that possible :blink:

Mark, you have to remember as you neither live in sheffield or are a keen follower of the team you only see Warnock when hes done something wrong. 90% of the time he keeps his cool hes very passionate but doesnt get into trouble. And honestly if you gave me a choice out of Sven and Warnock to manage Everton Id take Warnock every day

Id rather have a caretaker manager than either of them. I just cant stand the man. You dont live in Chelsea so how can you judge Mourinho and say Warnock will show Mourinho

38269[/snapback]

Yeah but Chelsea are on the telly most weeks and recieve a lot more press attention than sheff united. As Pat says its great that at last the 4th biggest city in the country has a premiership team again

Yeah but Chelsea are on the telly most weeks and recieve a lot more press attention than sheff united.  As Pat says its great that at last the 4th biggest city in the country has a premiership team again

38274[/snapback]

I said i have nothing against Sheff U, im glad there up and I hope they stay up, theyve got a better team than most teams do when they first do

Did I say he cant put together a good team? NO. Im saying hes a tosser and takes things too far. He is supposed to set a good example to his players and causing fights on the touchline doesnt do that

38281[/snapback]

Yeah that happened once last season anyone would think the guy did it every week

Yeah he does because he hasnt only caused trouble once. And his spat with Kevin Blackwell was pathetic, getting pissed off because he left Sheff U to manage Leeds, how can someone be annoyed with a friend for bettering themselves. I know its all sorted now but that was just stupid.

Yeah he does because he hasnt only caused trouble once. And his spat with Kevin Blackwell was pathetic, getting pissed off because he left Sheff U to manage Leeds, how can someone be annoyed with a friend for bettering themselves. I know its all sorted now but that was just stupid.

38292[/snapback]

He did that cos he loves the club just like we were pissed off when Rooney, Jeffers, Barmby etc left just his anger shown more publically

Blackwell was his friend though, he should have been happy for him but instead he stops talking to him and spits his dummy out

38294[/snapback]

Yeah just like rooney was meant to be one of us he was pissed off cos Warnock believed he had a team on the brink of the top and if someone goes against that he doesnt like it