IGNORED

Sleep paralysis, anyone?

Guest millwallforever

Dad knew a guy in the raf who said he could consciously go into a similar state and leave his body. Used to be able to tell you what items you had left in the next room on the side without going in there...dad says was either a very impressive trick cos he had no one to signal him or he really could...bizarre really..guy claimed he used to go to Mars and all sorts..think he called it astral projection or summat..sounds utter bull but this guy was convinced he left his body regularly!

If this guy could actually do this stuff, then you would think he could come up with something more impressive than telling people what they had left in the next room. :excl:

Damn i thought I was the only wierdo here!

I have a similar experience sometimes.

I feel like I am awake and aware of my surroundings. I feel a hand close tightly around my neck and feel like I am struggling to breath. I tell myself that I need to wake up and try my hardest to turn around but no matter how much i strain I can't move.

I seem to be on a fight to wake up as I know it will stop when i wake up.

Yours sounds much more interesting, a ginger women that turns into a frightening and hideous old lady, sounds like one of my conquests when out on the lash!

Guest millwallforever

I think I see an ugly ginger because I have met so many nauseating gingers in real life. If you look around the next time you have sleep paralysis, you will almost certainly see an entity as well. Expect it to be a materialisation of someone/something you don't like.

Damn i thought I was the only wierdo here!
I have a similar experience sometimes.
I feel like I am awake and aware of my surroundings. I feel a hand close tightly around my neck and feel like I am struggling to breath. I tell myself that I need to wake up and try my hardest to turn around but no matter how much i strain I can't move.

I seem to be on a fight to wake up as I know it will stop when i wake up.

Yours sounds much more interesting, a ginger women that turns into a frightening and hideous old lady, sounds like one of my conquests when out on the lash!

Guest millwallforever

Sorry about that. My intention is actually the exact opposite. I don't know what causes this phenomenon, but what I do know is that the fear to which it gives rise can be overcome to some degree. I would even go so far as to say that it can become a fascinating experience under the right circumstances.

Ok now your scaring me.

Edited by millwallforever

I know of two possible ways of inducing it:

1) Do not sleep for 48 hours. Then go to bed during daytime. Fall asleep on your back.

Don't know about "sleep paralysis" but I know doing that can seriously screw with your head; did it many times (sometimes longer than 48 hours) in busy times during my first career. You get to beyond tired and your brain does some seriously strange stuff and won't let you sleep. Massively heightened state of awareness. Hated it.

It's all a load of bollocks. A doctor explained it to me. You're in a state of sleep but are semi concious where as your brain is half awake tthus you can see and experience the there and now but another part of your brain (the part that dreams and imagines) is still asleep so you have a sort of cross roads where you're awake of sorts but still dreaming of sorts. You try and move because you think you're awake but you can't because you really aren't so the part of the brain that moves you're limbs and helps control where you want to go or want to do is still shut down so it wont happen.

There is fuck all scary or mysterious about it. You're just in a bit of limbo . Asleep but your imagination is still wandering in a dream state.

The brain is an extremely powerful and complex thing.

Please no ine quote this post.

Edited by Paddock

Second to last line is spot on.

When I was really ill twenty odd years back I was outwardly delirious for about thirty-six hours, but the places my brain took me to and the "experiences" I had during that time were totally real to me, not hallucinations or dreams; and in my world (my head) it went on for a week. Such vivid memories of it to this day, some of it was scary but most of it was actually fun (for me at least, not for my family sat by the bed wondering if I was going to die).

If you could consciously harness and control what I experienced then, would be incredible! We just use a fraction of our brains' power.