IGNORED

Sleep paralysis, anyone?

Guest millwallforever

Guest millwallforever

I don't know how many of you have experienced sleep paralysis. It is actually quite a commonplace phenomenon experienced by the 6% of the population, and I happen to be one of them.

So, what is sleep paralysis? It is an intermediate state between waking-consciousness and deep sleep. As you reach that intermediate state, you hear a buzzing noise and you can no longer move. You are not fully awake nor are you asleep. Everything around you is as it should be, thus giving you the impression that you are in a normal state of being awake.

What happens then is somewhat frightening for those with no prior experience with this state:

You begin to levitate and you are not quite sure if you are floating in the air or if an entity has lifted you up.

Things get even nastier:

Once you try to figure out what is going on around you, you will encounter the presence of female entity. In my case it is a hideous ginger-haired, old lady. She can shapeshift into a beautiful woman, she will do things with you, but eventually she will turn into that hideous old woman again.

By this point people are so scared that they manage to force themselves awake, but if you can deal with this fear, you will reach the next stage. The old lady vanishes and you can float out of your window and survey the landscape behind your house. Or you are shot upwards into space, thus defying the laws of gravity.

This is as far as I have made it, and I look forward to exploring this phenomenon further. I am really curious about what comes next.

In primitive cultures this phenomenon is considered to be demonic. People who have slept in the same room as a person experiencing sleep paralysis have themselves witnessed the presence of an entity.

Here is an excellent documentary on this phenomenon:

Edited by millwallforever

Crikey, thought there was going to be a punchline at the end of that :o. Very strange.

I quite often have "lucid dreaming" where I realise I'm dreaming so can pull myself out of it at any time; mostly I have no control over the dream but on very rare occasions I've been able to decide what's going to happen (obviously I use this for gratuitous sexual purposes, wish it happened more often :().

But that sounds downright frightening.

I suffer from it really badly. When I was younger I would be lying in bed and hear my door creak open I would then be aware of something/one entering the room and sometimes it/they would sit down on the bed besides me. No matter how hard I tried I could not turn my body to see who/what it was. Sometimes my whole body would be wracked with pins and needles such was the tension in it trying to force myself to turn and face what it was other times I would eventually wake up and have bad cramping fits in y shoulders arms and legs through sheer tension and exertion of trying to turn. I always thought I was wide awake during the episodes I am sitting here typing this now thinking about one in particular when I lived alone in a flat, I can picture the bedroom now, see the door (well hear it but see the scene) creaking open feel the presence I thought was there and remember the sheer fear I felt as it was happening like it was yesterday!!

I've not thought about it for a long time before I read this thread but now it's very much still there. As I got older it seemed to gradually fade away and stop entirely quite a while back now but I can certainly vouch for it, it's not a nice thing to suffer from and I've suffered twisted /strained muscles through it.

Not a nice feeling.

I've had it before myself. I'd be laying in bed on my back and realize I was awake but couldn't move. I could talk, but it was like a muffled whisper. I would say my girlfriend's name over and over again to get her to wake me up. Sometimes she did; other times I just jolted up after a prolonged period.

Never witnessed any "entities" though.

Never had the feeling of others being in the room but have suffered horribly from this for many years. Your body is literally locked-up and you feel you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. For those who do suffer, the best thing to do is try not to fight it. Easier said than done, of course. I can go six months without an episode, then have three in a week. No idea what causes it.

Never witnessed any "entities" though.

I don't there ever were any entities tbh Tonks, I think it was just my imagination running wild and I've imagined the door, feeling then presence but as I've been in a state of sleep paralysis I've just associated the night terrors I suffered as a child with it.

When I was a child I suffered horrendously with night terrors. I was terrorised (in my mind) by an entity that used to come into my room and sit on the bed when I was asleep and whisper real unintelligible guttural language in my ear I used to wake up in such fear I couldn't get my breath or even speak I was that terrified. That progressed to being taken out of my body to where I was floating above myself looking down at myself and pulled out the room (my floating self not my body) out onto the landing and entities (or demons as I used to think they were) would try and pull me into a dark pit below as I was floating . I was sent for ECGs brain scans, I was monitored by experts as a kid to see my sleep patterns and stuff. It was fucking horrendous but as I got older it gradually subsided and turned into nothingness.

These days I never even give it a second thought until this thread was posted and has made me think about it. I sleep like a log nowadays but spookily enough my wife is a horrendous sleep walker :lol:

I don't there ever were any entities tbh Tonks, I think it was just my imagination running wild and I've imagined the door, feeling then presence but as I've been in a state of sleep paralysis I've just associated the night terrors I suffered as a child with it.

When I was a child I suffered horrendously with night terrors. I was terrorised (in my mind) by an entity that used to come into my room and sit on the bed when I was asleep and whisper real unintelligible guttural language in my ear I used to wake up in such fear I couldn't get my breath or even speak I was that terrified. That progressed to being taken out of my body to where I was floating above myself looking down at myself and pulled out the room (my floating self not my body) out onto the landing and entities (or demons as I used to think they were) would try and pull me into a dark pit below as I was floating . I was sent for ECGs brain scans, I was monitored by experts as a kid to see my sleep patterns and stuff. It was fucking horrendous but as I got older it gradually subsided and turned into nothingness.

These days I never even give it a second thought until this thread was posted and has made me think about it. I sleep like a log nowadays but spookily enough my wife is a horrendous sleep walker :lol:

That sounds awful!

As far as the entities go, I was referring to Millwall's post. I should've quoted him.

;)

Guest millwallforever

What is interesting about this phenomenon is that the scary old lady is reminiscent of the obstacle the shaman typically meets before he can proceed to acquiring knowledge of future events.

Guest millwallforever

I know of two possible ways of inducing it:

1) Do not sleep for 48 hours. Then go to bed during daytime. Fall asleep on your back.

2) If you can handle it: drink vodka or whisky until you have reached the limit. Fall asleep on your back. IMPORTANT: do not try this technique if you are the kind of guy who pukes while drunk.

A third way is an Old Aramaic spell that I came across in this medieval classic:

"Tmaggesh b'eddan swadh waghdash nawmtha ghadesh."

I have not tried this one out myself, but according to the author of the book, it is supposed to be a very powerful tool for communicating with an entity from another realm. Recite this spell before you go to bed. Try it at your own risk.

If I didn't have it now, I'm certainly going to after the video. Ffs.

Paddock mentions his wife's sleep walking. I used to sleep walk when I was younger. When I was 10 I remember waking up in the living room at 3 o'clock in the morning in the middle of eating a piece of jam sponge. These days, I occasionally wake up standing in the bedroom but, fortunately, never get as far as the stairs.!

Paddock mentions his wife's sleep walking. I used to sleep walk when I was younger. When I was 10 I remember waking up in the living room at 3 o'clock in the morning in the middle of eating a piece of jam sponge. These days, I occasionally wake up standing in the bedroom but, fortunately, never get as far as the stairs.!

My wife is REALLY bad. She gets up and is taking stuff out the wardrobe when you ask her what she's doing she'll tell you the ironing. I've found her in the garden "loxking the back gate" was the snswer that time, wandering round down stairs saying she's looking for various items. It's really bad but I find it hysterical. If you don't coax her gently to go back to bed she gets really agressive and starts shouting at you and there is no reasoning with her.

She can never remember a thing in the morning!

Sounds like most women when they're awake too :P.

Ha ha, actually she's really mind mannered and a gentle person which is why it's all the more shocking (and funny) when she goes off on one.

She wike me up the other week walking round and she had pulled the blind back and was staring out the window. I was up at half four for work and couldn't be arsed with her and grumpily asked her what she was doing, she very rarely swears but turned dound and said "I'm looking at the fucking orange thing aren't I now fuck off" she was referring to the street light outside in the strest I obviously found this hysterical which made her even more furious.

I should video her one day she'd be mortified if she saw herself :lol:

My word!!! I had the craziest experience the other month, were I felt awake but I wasn't sure if I was a I couldn't move, like I was pinned to my bed and I could feel a presence, something demonic... I tried to move and could feel my muscles tense and then I felt like I was getting dragged off my bed. I was trying to shout by couldn't and eventually I managed to shout and still to this day I'm not sure if I was awake or asleep, I've asked my family if they heard anything because whatever state I was in, be it asleep or awake I shouted as loud as I could for my brother.... Truly terrifying moment

Guest millwallforever

Definitely sleep paralysis. Welcome to the club. The old lady was probably right behind you. She is keen on eye contact.

My word!!! I had the craziest experience the other month, were I felt awake but I wasn't sure if I was a I couldn't move, like I was pinned to my bed and I could feel a presence, something demonic... I tried to move and could feel my muscles tense and then I felt like I was getting dragged off my bed. I was trying to shout by couldn't and eventually I managed to shout and still to this day I'm not sure if I was awake or asleep, I've asked my family if they heard anything because whatever state I was in, be it asleep or awake I shouted as loud as I could for my brother.... Truly terrifying moment

Guest millwallforever

Once you're in, there is no way out. Once you get used to it, it is not all that frightening anymore. Uncomfortable for sure, but the dread lessens.

I don't want to get it again

Once you're in, there is no way out. Once you get used to it, it is not all that frightening anymore. Uncomfortable for sure, but the dread lessens.

You're badly full of shit. I have no idea why people keep hunouring you.

I had it, I no longer have it. You don't have it nor have you ever had it you're just trolling the site. Simple.

Guest millwallforever

Welcome to my ignore list, Mr.

You're badly full of shit. I have no idea why people keep hunouring you.

I had it, I no longer have it. You don't have it nor have you ever had it you're just trolling the site. Simple.

That one's easy: Your wife was changing the bed sheets while you were recovering from a good night out.

Dad knew a guy in the raf who said he could consciously go into a similar state and leave his body. Used to be able to tell you what items you had left in the next room on the side without going in there...dad says was either a very impressive trick cos he had no one to signal him or he really could...bizarre really..guy claimed he used to go to Mars and all sorts..think he called it astral projection or summat..sounds utter bull but this guy was convinced he left his body regularly!

Dad knew a guy in the raf who said he could consciously go into a similar state and leave his body. Used to be able to tell you what items you had left in the next room on the side without going in there...dad says was either a very impressive trick cos he had no one to signal him or he really could...bizarre really..guy claimed he used to go to Mars and all sorts..think he called it astral projection or summat..sounds utter bull but this guy was convinced he left his body regularly!

I've heard of astral projection before and have always wondered if it is a real thing. If so, it's the coolest damn thing ever.