IGNORED

Flashing billboards

Watching EvertonTV highlights of the Villa game, I was struck by how animated the billboards have become at Goodison. When we watch news articles today on TV, viewers are warned when there to expect an undue number of flashes, because they can trigger a reaction with those suffering from epilepsy. So why are billboards now so full of flashes and sudden changes? Is it really necessary, and couldn't it likewise cause problems for those with epilepsy? Plus, it has to be a distraction sometimes to the players.

In the late 1940's the only 'billboards' came on at half-time. In the programme there was a list of all Division 1 (now Premiership) matches with a letter of the alphabet against each one. During half-time, someone put the half-time scores for each match against the appropriate letter. This was done using big white boards with black letters/numbers, which were leaned against the wall at the side of the pitch. If Liverpool were losing it got one of the biggest roars of the day.

Take your point though, have often thought the same myself.

In the late 1940's the only 'billboards' came on at half-time. In the programme there was a list of all Division 1 (now Premiership) matches with a letter of the alphabet against each one. During half-time, someone put the half-time scores for each match against the appropriate letter. This was done using big white boards with black letters/numbers, which were leaned against the wall at the side of the pitch. If Liverpool were losing it got one of the biggest roars of the day.

In the late sixties/early seventies when I was watching non-league football early on in the second half a bloke used to walk through the crowd shouting, "half-times" and selling copies of the Evening Standard with first division half-time scores in them. I always wondered how they did that; still do :huh:. Best memory from that was finding out Everton were five up on Southampton.