IGNORED

Better than the 80's?

Oztoffee

Having left Merseyside in 1974 and not seeing anything of British football until FoxSport was operating here from about 1996 or so, I've not seen any of the bad years of the 80's when were really relegation fodder.

Are the Blues better now than then? Of course I realise that the players are much better/faster etc now, but I feel that today's side are not playing together and they are certainly not entertaining to watch in any way. I remember someone on here at Martinez's signing saying that we'll concede lots and score lots, but it will be great entertainment! Sorry, 1 out of 3 is pretty poor.

What think you all? Better or worse than the 80's?

Have you got your decades mixed up?

Current side are better than any of the 90s (when there were 'relegation battles')and possibly even the 80s (although I imagine older supporters than myself will disagree).

That's what I thought, we went through a period in 83-ish where we made today's team look like Barcelona and Kendall was taking all sorts of stick....I've mentioned the game before but if you think last night was bad think the 0-0 at home v Coventry on 31st Dec 1983 with about 13,000 at Goodison. Was a real low point. But then a few weeks later we had the "Kevin Brock" moment and look what happened next.

I don't think we were ever close to relegation in the eighties even if some of the football in the early and late parts of the decade were pretty uninspired.

That's what I thought, we went through a period in 83-ish where we made today's team look like Barcelona and Kendall was taking all sorts of stick....I've mentioned the game before but if you think last night was bad think the 0-0 at home v Coventry on 31st Dec 1983 with about 13,000 at Goodison. Was a real low point. But then a few weeks later we had the "Kevin Brock" moment and look what happened next.

I don't think we were ever close to relegation in the eighties even if some of the football in the early and late parts of the decade were pretty uninspired.

At the moment i'm watching a group of players show no courage whatsoever. The lack of leadership in the team is shocking. We get that from McCarthy and it is missing.

Someone who can sprint, tackle, play one touch passes is what we need to get us playing to some sort of tempo. The quick passes that catch opponents out of position. This allows the flair players to attack the space created.

Slightly off topic but I remember Everton finishing bottom of the old First Division and relegated in 1950/51. What made it worse was that I had a bet with a schoolmate (a Liverpool supporter) that we wouldn't be relegated. I lost the bet as well and had to fork out threepence which hurt almost as much as the relegation.