IGNORED

Laptop

MikeO

Sorry for not putting this in the Computer Help section but stuff gets lost in there and people don't seem to read it. So..

I'm looking at getting a laptop so Josh stops throwing me off my (alright..our) PC. My understanding is that to run both at the same time I'm gonna need a router but not another modem..is that right?

Spoke to my ISP just now and they suggested the best way was to upgrade my connection, pay an extra £4.50 a month which would give me a wireless router for free and faster connection.

Still don't know a great deal about this so if any of that sounds daft can someone let me know..ta.

The router plugs into the phone socket and allows people in the network that you set up to have access to a single internet connection and the bandwidth of that connection is shared between the computers on the network. In essence it replaces the modem and acts as a way of sending the modem signal to the computers in your house. You will have to make sure your old pc has a wireless card or a wireless USB adapter so that it can also pick up the wireless signal from your router. As far as I am aware you shouldn't actually need to upgrade your connection with your current ISP if you set up the router yourself it seems just a case of whether you want to pay them an extra 4.50 a month for a router or pay the same and make a one off payment for a router for about £50. Check out www.ebuyer.com they usually have pretty cheap computer parts and that is where I bought all the bits to build my PC a couple of years ago. Oh, and if you go wireless make sure you put a password on your wireless network otherwise anyone else who is in range can use your wireless signal for free. Oh and if you need a wireless adapter for your current PC they sell them for bout 10-15£ there and it's just a case of plugging them into the USB socket and installing a bit of software, if you buy a wireless card you will have to open your PC box and plug it in and it depends if you want to do that.

Sorry for not putting this in the Computer Help section but stuff gets lost in there and people don't seem to read it. So..

I'm looking at getting a laptop so Josh stops throwing me off my (alright..our)  PC. My understanding is that to run both at the same time I'm gonna need a router but not another modem..is that right?

Spoke to my ISP just now and they suggested the best way was to upgrade my connection, pay an extra £4.50 a month which would give me a wireless router for free and faster connection.

Still don't know a great deal about this so if any of that sounds daft can someone let me know..ta.

51490[/snapback]

Definately the way to go Mike. A while back my computer broke and so I went out and bought a laptop and set up the wireless connection. Just made sense at time. The thing is that then I got the PC working again and now the missus uses it so needed both of them to have internet connection. You basically just plug in this box near the phone and both computers can connect to internet from anywhere in the house, a lot faster than before as well. Definately recommend it

I am pretty sure you could connect the old pc to the router via a really long cable if you want but for the sake of about 15£ I would go for a cheap wireless adapter I'm sure you can find a spare USB socket on the back somewhere. Here for example...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/107691

oh also make sure you buy a wireless adapter that supports g speeds rather than b speeds cos they are slow and crap.

On a side note no I don't work for Ebuyer :D

Edited by L_Blue

Mike im using a D-link 4 port modem/rooter.

Got me, Vick & Both kids Pc's sponging of same 1.5MB conenction with few if any problems.

We have been set up like this for some time now & Agree the wireless way would be the go (was 2 dear when I 1sts et up) & will head that way myself..Next time etc.

If you go wireless, make sure you look into the security side of things.

If you leave the default settings in, most wireless kit is wide open for anyone to use.

I got some devolo kit myself:

Devolo Home Network Kit

it's encrypted, and a doddle to set up (literally, couple of minutes).

I think Zyxel might do something along the same lines too.

Let's hope you didnt get 1 with the dicky lithium Batteries that like to go BOOOOOM...!!!

Whilst it would endear you to Legendary status Mike, being TT's first Online fatality/casualty is something Im sure only a few of the more sordid regulars aspire to actauly be.... :unsure: , Though in hindisght it would be a waste of a good lap top & reallly stuff up the tipping comp up....... :lol::lol::lol: