IGNORED

UEFA Cup of Not

edvar

do we go into the UEFA cup if we get knocked out tonight? I've heard different stories but UEFA suggests not:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/Format/index.html

It would be crap if we get knocked out tonight and don't get a UEFA cup spot. Lets just hope we can do the business tonight anyway and then we don't need to worry about it. :-)

i spent ages looking at the rules of the champions league and uefa cup on the uefa site and couldn't find anything that suggested teams knocked out in cl qualifiying would make the uefa cup. the only thing it mentioned of the sorts was teams that come third in their group in CL group stage would make uefa.

IF we get knocked out 2nite we will go into the first round of the uefa cup (after the qualifying rounds) where we will probably play some excuse for a team from latvia or somewhere, if we get through that we will go on to the group stage where by the looks of it any english top flight team will walk through, then i think we would move on to the final 32 which is where we would start playing tougher opposition, if we got knocked out we would not meet a team half as tough as villareal untill the last 32 at least, although it will be a blow financially if we get knocked out tonight we will be in a cup where we will be much more competetive, and maybe even stand a chance of winning, its a win win situation.

Edited by BoroBlue

Yeah, perhaps it would be better for us to be in a competition where we're more likely to be competitive rather than getting tonked every week in the CL (imagine how hard all the champions league group games would be with our tiny squad). Still wanna get through tonight though of course!!

I'm sure that if we don't get past Villareal we'd be in the UEFA. It's logical when you think about it - entry is based on league position, and we're not actually in the CL yet because we haven't qualified. So if we don't qualify then we're in the UEFA, which we've definitely already qualified for based on our league position and the strength of the league

I thought, and i think the itv commentators think, we'll go straight into the group stages following (possible) defeat tonight. An extra qualifyer is a bit of added stress I could do without!

Apart from the money and exposure issues, I'd rather see us winning UEFA cup matches rather than being embarrased in the CL.

FROM THE LINK IN THE FIRST POST

"Additional qualifiers

Certain national champions which do not qualify for the UEFA Champions League in a particular season also participate in the same season’s UEFA Cup. In addition, the eight third-placed clubs at the end of the UEFA Champions League group stage drop into the UEFA Cup, entering the competition at the end of the group stage."

This confirms that we would drop into the Uefa - at the start of the bizarre group stages (in Uefa you dont get to play everyone in your group - and some teams you only play away, and some only at home - really shit setup.).

If we got into the CL tonight, we would still drop into Uefa if we came 3rd in the grp stages - as it says above...

we go into uefa cup round one, which is a single game knockout.

then round 2 is a group stage, 5 teams per group, only playin each team once, 2 games home 2 games away.

then knock out stages i think, after one round of knock outs, champions league teams come in.

could be wrong though!