IGNORED

The X Factor Thread

StevO

please tell me you know jimmy page and dave grohl?

I've not had the pleasure of either, though I've played a few tracks over the years from both. I remember a track called Monkey Wrench which I liked. It's hard to put a fave Zep track down, but Dazed and Confused is a good one. I've met a fair amount in my time, but not them.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when did they play together?

when the foo fighters played wembley stadium, jimmy page and john paul jones came out and did a couple of tracks with dave grohl and tyler hawkins. i almost wet myself when grohl said im bringing out some special guests, when he said jimmy page i jumped up in the air forgeting i had a pint in each hand, luckily i only poured them over myself!

Edited by StevO

when the foo fighters played wembley stadium, jimmy page and john paul jones came out and did a couple of tracks with dave grohl and tyler hawkins. i almost wet myself when grohl said im bringing out some special guests, when he said jimmy page i jumped up in the air forgeting i had a pint in each hand, luckily i only poured them over myself!

Ah, so it wasnt with Them Crooked Vultures? I'd love to see them life, Josh Homme is a genius!

Yeah, I'm frightened to death of branching out Kohen. I'm pleased for your grade 7 though. It's good to see young folk learning instruments. I'll tell Pink Floyd or the Beatles to go get jobs, and pop a few Bieber tracks on the juke box. Numbers don't lie after all, as you quite rightly say. Justin who? huh.png

dry.pngdry.pngdry.pngdry.pngdry.pngdry.pngdry.png

Worlds biggest artist? laugh.png

I didn't say I like Biebers music, but he can sing.

and it's beyond me how anyone can find karaoke entertaining

Millions of Karaoke bars around the world, still going strong!

afro2.gif

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz argument has gone stale. Roundabouts now!

Back to the thread topic, Marcus Collins has been a surprise for me. Didn't see him doing well when he was put through to the Live shows but he's impressed and obviously has gained a decent following!

Edit: Didn't read page 3, seems we've moved on to a more constructive topic at least :)

Edited by Kohen

im pretty sure no one has said they like bieber on here, personally think hes aweful, but it is a fact that he is one of the biggest selling artists of the last few years worldwide.

edit: little bit of research, seems his voice broke round about june 2010, quite publicly it seems. he was recording at the time. im sure that was an interesting day in the studio.

Edited by StevO

I think it's important not to compare present day record sales with those of yesteryear, and certainly it's never wise to declare somebody as the best, as that, will always be a personal opinion.

When I was a kid, buying a record involved a journey into town, be it walking or other, rain, snow, or shine, to a record store, in the hope that they stocked the said record, or hadn't sold out. I would buy a physical item, and admire it all the way home, stopping occasionally to share the excitement with friends, who might even come home with me, just to listen to it. We'd then take the record out of it's sleeve, and with great excitement place it in the record player, before lifting the needle, in the fear we wouldn't damage it. The anticipation between the needle hitting the vinyl, and the first sound of the record, was incredible. You could spend all day just playing records over and over. Learning guitar was quite a thing too, as you would put your ear up to the speaker, hoping to hear the lick, so you could learn it, which probably accounts as to why most guitarists of a certain age are near deaf in one ear lol.

There was no internet, and no music tv like you have today. We had shows like the Old Grey Whistle Test, or Top Of The Pops, but certainly nothing like today. Kids miss out on the beauty of buying records now. They simply press a button on their mouse, and plug their mp3 player in etc, and voila.

It was extremely difficult to buy a record back then, and extremely difficult to get a record deal. There were only so many record companies, so many shops, and so much technology, and there was little room for shite acts to get a look in like they do now. If a song sold a million records, that was quite a thing.

Can you imagine if we had the Internet and technology in the early years of music, how many records some of these artists might have sold? Can you imagine how many records like Sinatra, or Crosby, or later the Beatles, or Elvis Presley, or later again Abba, or the Bee Gees would have sold?

Stats mean little, unless kept in context. Acts like Lady Ga Ga and Justin Bieber, and many others have their place in modern society, because modern society has been primed for it by the record industry for years. Can you imagine how either might have coped had they been transported back through time?

They have their own talents, and that talent is accepted by an audience who have certain standards of what is acceptable. It's always been a similar case, when my own parents would shake their heads at music I would like as a kid.

What we see though is a change in acceptability, and standards, and these are clearly dropping. Modern day society is much more interested in visual satisfaction than it is in music. As much as one might feel acts like Bieber have talent, you can't surely compare him to acts that were pure singers, with none of the bull that encircles acts of today.

He's pop. Cheapy chirpy pop music designed by record companies to have very quick turnaround and very quick profit, before the next act comes along. Will we really be embracing modern day acts in 100 years?

The music world is now called 'The Entertainment Industry'. I'd rather not credit it with calling it music. Hanging is too good for some people. They should force them to listen to Justin Bieber records instead. doh.gif

ok then. with todays low standards, which part of Lady Ga Ga isnt comparable?

is it the range of tone she can achieve with her voice? is it that she is a classically trained pianist?

or just that she is often hidden behind her own public image and the production of her music that we dont often see the talent underneath?

personally i dont like her music, but when she is stripped back and just sings with a piano you can see how talaneted she is, and i dont think many artists would disagree with the girls talent. as i said, im not a fan of her music but she is very very talanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoXSEyxKpMY

ok then. with todays low standards, which part of Lady Ga Ga isnt comparable?

is it the range of tone she can achieve with her voice? is it that she is a classically trained pianist?

or just that she is often hidden behind her own public image and the production of her music that we dont often see the talent underneath?

personally i dont like her music, but when she is stripped back and just sings with a piano you can see how talaneted she is, and i dont think many artists would disagree with the girls talent. as i said, im not a fan of her music but she is very very talanted.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BoXSEyxKpMY

The point you make regarding needing to be stripped back says quite a lot.

Would she have the same success without all the bullshit?

We both know the answer to that mate. Nobody said she is talentless, but she could not sell that talent in todays market without another angle, and that's the crazy point I'm trying to make. Modern society doesn't care about the talent. They care more about the angle, or rather, the bullshit.

How did you get on with the pdf I gave you btw? An acknowledgement might have been polite.

i cant do it, i refuse to try to play purple rain.

if it becomes easy then i'll lose some love for prince, i cant let that happen.

Lol mate. Prince doesn't play it. It's a female guitarist working with him. It's just 4 chords. You need only to establish what chords they are from the tab. All the picking just do it near as damn it.

well they say you shouldnt meet your heroes as they might not be so great. keep them amazing in your mind.

thats how that song is for me.

There's truth in that lol. I've met quite a few musicians and artists over the years, and some were a real let down. Alvin Lee was my biggest disappointment as a person. We were all getting chips after a gig and he was in the queue with the tour bus outside. A few of us had tour brochures, and asked if he would sign them, and he was a proper arse. Now I can't even listen to his tracks. Having said that, I've met absolute diamonds too. The Commitments were the nicest folk you could possibly expect. I sat with them for an hour or so in a pub after a gig, and they were really nice people.

I think it's important not to compare present day record sales with those of yesteryear, and certainly it's never wise to declare somebody as the best, as that, will always be a personal opinion.

When I was a kid, buying a record involved a journey into town, be it walking or other, rain, snow, or shine, to a record store, in the hope that they stocked the said record, or hadn't sold out. I would buy a physical item, and admire it all the way home, stopping occasionally to share the excitement with friends, who might even come home with me, just to listen to it. We'd then take the record out of it's sleeve, and with great excitement place it in the record player, before lifting the needle, in the fear we wouldn't damage it. The anticipation between the needle hitting the vinyl, and the first sound of the record, was incredible. You could spend all day just playing records over and over. Learning guitar was quite a thing too, as you would put your ear up to the speaker, hoping to hear the lick, so you could learn it, which probably accounts as to why most guitarists of a certain age are near deaf in one ear lol.

There was no internet, and no music tv like you have today. We had shows like the Old Grey Whistle Test, or Top Of The Pops, but certainly nothing like today. Kids miss out on the beauty of buying records now. They simply press a button on their mouse, and plug their mp3 player in etc, and voila.

It was extremely difficult to buy a record back then, and extremely difficult to get a record deal. There were only so many record companies, so many shops, and so much technology, and there was little room for shite acts to get a look in like they do now. If a song sold a million records, that was quite a thing.

Can you imagine if we had the Internet and technology in the early years of music, how many records some of these artists might have sold? Can you imagine how many records like Sinatra, or Crosby, or later the Beatles, or Elvis Presley, or later again Abba, or the Bee Gees would have sold?

Stats mean little, unless kept in context. Acts like Lady Ga Ga and Justin Bieber, and many others have their place in modern society, because modern society has been primed for it by the record industry for years. Can you imagine how either might have coped had they been transported back through time?

They have their own talents, and that talent is accepted by an audience who have certain standards of what is acceptable. It's always been a similar case, when my own parents would shake their heads at music I would like as a kid.

What we see though is a change in acceptability, and standards, and these are clearly dropping. Modern day society is much more interested in visual satisfaction than it is in music. As much as one might feel acts like Bieber have talent, you can't surely compare him to acts that were pure singers, with none of the bull that encircles acts of today.

He's pop. Cheapy chirpy pop music designed by record companies to have very quick turnaround and very quick profit, before the next act comes along. Will we really be embracing modern day acts in 100 years?

The music world is now called 'The Entertainment Industry'. I'd rather not credit it with calling it music. Hanging is too good for some people. They should force them to listen to Justin Bieber records instead. doh.gif

Wholehearted agreement with this (but then again I would be regarded as an "arl arse" by most on here)!

Wholehearted agreement with this (but then again I would be regarded as an "arl arse" by most on here)!

You're not allowed to agree with me. doh.gif

It's written in the small print underneath the Toffeetalk commandments. "Though shallt not agree with Avinalaff, for he is the devil amongst us, and forever shall he remain disagreed with".

BTW: If you see TJ tell him to stop stalking me. ph34r.pngbiggrin.png

Ah, I see. So when you can't continue, or don't get the desired reply, you feel the need to hurl insults at folk.

Is this the real Kohen?

Disappointed.

Oh mate, come off it.

In my time on this forum I've not insulted anyone. I came into this thread to talk about X-Factor, people don't like it, I get that. I don't like cheese, and if there was a thread on that I'd probably go in there, express my displeasure and leave it at that.

I wouldn't then express how I've been a dairy farmer for many years, and those who may not have that expertise, but enjoy the odd cheese with their wine, can't possible share the same insight.

It's very condescending.

You are being a bit of a knob. I respect everything 'Everton' you write on here, but your posts in this thread have just been rude at times. I'm not asking for a reply off you to be honest, only came in this thread to talk about X-Factor...

Real Kohen? Oh my gosh, not even gonna start....doh.gif

Edited by Kohen

Oh mate, come off it.

In my time on this forum I've not insulted anyone. I came into this thread to talk about X-Factor, people don't like it, I get that. I don't like cheese, and if there was a thread on that I'd probably go in there, express my displeasure and leave it at that.

I wouldn't then express how I've been a dairy farmer for many years, and those who may not have that expertise, but enjoy the odd cheese with their wine, can't possible share the same insight.

It's very condescending.

You are being a bit of a knob. I respect everything 'Everton' you write on here, but your posts in this thread have just been rude at times. I'm not asking for a reply off you to be honest, only came in this thread to talk about X-Factor...

Real Kohen? Oh my gosh, not even gonna start....doh.gif

Kohen, you really are quite something mate.

If we were having a discussion about the X-Factor in real life, do you really think there would be one sentence of approval, or disapproval, and that is it? There would be a conversation.

There are differing reasons why people have the opinions they do, and often those reasons are influenced by our backgrounds, age, experience, and so on.

You think it is unusual, that a musician should have a different opinion because he's a musician? It's only condescending as you call it, if your ego is so big that you can't accept it as a valid point, rather than a threat.

The fact that you felt the need to start your correspondence to me by telling me of your A level in music, and your grade 8, 'in a rolled up sleeve way', was rather disappointing too. Had you been a little more mature you might have disclosed your interest in guitar in a more social, and friendly manner, and we could have held a discussion about that in another thread, or in private. Then you might have learned a little more about each other, but instead you felt the need to turn it into a personal thing, rather than enjoy the debate.

Do you see anybody else in this thread getting wound up? Has anybody else called another silly names?

You need to lighten up a little, and realise that threads are just discussions. Much of what has been written in the thread is genuine disapproval for the X-Factor, and much is written to wind SteveO up, in a friendly way. Not a condescending way.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm guessing you're fairly young. That in itself is highly likely to ensure your outlook on life is very different to mine, with me being a bit of an old git, and I'm very confident that if we were to express our musical tastes, there would probably be a big percentage of each others favourite artists that the other had not heard of, or were familiar with. Somewhere though, there would be common ground.

The title of the thread is 'The X-Factor Thread'.

This means that it is fair to presume that if you offer up a topic for debate, you will get positive, negative, and neutral views.

Had it said 'X-Factor Appreciation Thread', then it would be fair to say that it was attempting to recruit other fans, in which to discuss positives. Then, and only then, would negatives possibly be looked upon as rude, but it isn't. The only people who appear to be fans are you and Steve, so you don't really have much to talk about.

The only rudeness taking part here, is a young lad, who feels the need to call another member a knob. wacko.png

Perhaps you might want to refrain from getting so worked up in future.

on saturday, after the next brilliant episode (im guessing halloween special) lets get back to trying to discuss the show? it might only be me and kohen but i have a feeling if we are discussing the show we might get a few more fans come out of the woodwork.

pretty much every regular has had their opinion on the show in here, its not worth carrying on with that is it?