IGNORED

Backpacks and Anoraks

Lowensda

Just looking for some advice if possible, people.

Me and the other half are doing more 'outdoor' holidays now we have the little man and we've decided every weekend, we'll try to go on a form of trek/walk, to get out and explore the local world around us.

The majority of our holidays come from parents offering for us to join them. It's just an excuse for them to see the grandson for an uninterrupted and usually extended period and NOT to actually see us (but we won't shall not complain about free holidays!).

Anyway, one of the best purchases i've made recently was a baby carrier. LittleLife Ranger. It's fantastic. Super light weight and easy to use. (see below)

ranger.jpg

Now we're using this carrier more and getting into the swing of outdoor activities, can anyone advise me decent daypacks/rucksacks that we could use to carry:

A ) All of the babies stuff (which is usually a changing bag full)

&

B ) Additional items for us, like rain macs, lunch, general equipment (camera?)

I know how fantastic the likes of Osprey are (i desperately want one but they're a little too pricey) are there any well priced brands that make good gear?

I'm not a stingy guy but i'm certainly not made of money. Anything affordable, that will last (Osprey's have lifetime guarantees) and will service our needs. Have any of you had experienced or already do similar, and have advice on makes/brands/things to consider, I would be very grateful.

Adding to that, i'm after a decent coat but i'm struggling to find reasonable prices. They're either INCREDIBLY expensive (looking at you RAB) or just a bit pants (that's you HiGear). Do you have recommendations for where to buy from? Outlet stores or hidden gems?

Bag budget - £50-£65

Coat - £50-£90

As I say, any help would be greatly appreciated.

J

My only thought would be to use Go Outdoors http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36159009

That's where we always go for that kind of stuff. You buy a "discount card" for (I think) £5 and get a reduced price on everything. The one in Exeter is massive, there's a huge range to choose from so I'd have thought that'd be the same everywhere.

Bill's the big trekker on here though, he may have some advice.

My only thought would be to use Go Outdoors http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36159009

That's where we always go for that kind of stuff. You buy a "discount card" for (I think) £5 and get a reduced price on everything. The one in Exeter is massive, there's a huge range to choose from so I'd have thought that'd be the same everywhere.

Bill's the big trekker on here though, he may have some advice.

I do use GoOutdoors currently Mike and do have a card. I tend to think it's best when they have Sales on (Post Christmas and Easter - which I've just missed out on). You can save a ton. But with the next one not for a few months, I may have to look at alternatives.

Thanks for the reply though. Hopefully Bill can point me in the right direction.

:)

I do use GoOutdoors currently Mike and do have a card. I tend to think it's best when they have Sales on (Post Christmas and Easter - which I've just missed out on). You can save a ton. But with the next one not for a few months, I may have to look at alternatives.

Thanks for the reply though. Hopefully Bill can point me in the right direction.

:)

You're not joking, our camping days are past us now but the offers you used to get on their tents were incredible, because they were "last years design". The three of us used to have a nine birth tent (that was the last one we had), luxury. Used to love distance walking when I was younger, did the West Highland Way one year with some mates, bloody brilliant!

I can't help out really. My first thought was GoOutdoors but I was beaten to the punch. There's a website called GreatOutdoors and M&MDirect used to be ok, I haven't ordered anything from them in years.

I bought a pair of walking boots from Cotswold Outdoors. The customer service is great, (the prices not so much!) but the boots were pretty poor. They worn out after 2 months - and to think I bought insoles :D.

Your probably going to the right store if you do go to go outdoors, but if you have an Army and Navy stores within easy reach of you you can sometimes pick up some usefull bits very cheap.

My trekking days are well and truly over now so I can't really give you any up to date info.

Try as many charity shops as you can cos you can sometimes find a bargain.

Thanks for your feedback gents, greatly appreciated.

I will just keep an eye on GoOutdoors then and hope for a flash sale.

One place that has been recommended to me (outside the forum) for boots, that I didn't consider before, was Sports Direct. That was a top shout, as they constantly try to flog ranges/brands for next to nothing (in comparison to the RRP) and the selections are quite impression considering it's not a specialty.

Thanks for your feedback gents, greatly appreciated.

I will just keep an eye on GoOutdoors then and hope for a flash sale.

One place that has been recommended to me (outside the forum) for boots, that I didn't consider before, was Sports Direct. That was a top shout, as they constantly try to flog ranges/brands for next to nothing (in comparison to the RRP) and the selections are quite impression considering it's not a specialty.

I wouldn't give Mike Ashley my money.

And (having seen recent documentary on them) they don't "discount" from RRP at all.

"Sports Direct actually owns a lot of sporting brands – including Slazenger, Donnay, Everlast, Dunlop and Karrimor – so they can slap those logos on anything they like. I’ve long suspected their swingeing discounts were an exaggeration, but according to one former worker some goods arrive direct from the factory with the faux-hand-lettered price-slash labels already stuck on. And the crossed-out higher price on those labels – the so-called “REF” price – is meaningless. It’s neither the recommended retail price, nor the manufacturer’s recommended price."

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/apr/28/the-secrets-of-sports-direct-review