IGNORED

Chicago tips

Baba

We're spending a week in Chicago during half term (from end of next week)

Usually spend that week in New York but decided to try somewhere new, even though we'd happily have returned to NYC again this year.

Any tips for things not to miss whilst there would be much appreciated - with suitability for pre-teen children a consideration.

Millennium park - the bean

Giordanos deep dish pizza

Goose island brewery

Thanks Mark, I'll check those out. Parks are always a winner for us, spend loads of time in Central Park normally so will be doing the same in the many Chicago parks.

Thanks Mark, I'll check those out. Parks are always a winner for us, spend loads of time in Central Park normally so will be doing the same in the many Chicago parks.

Millennium park is huge and beautiful. The bean is an art piece in that park your kids will love. It's a massive "bean" that's one piece of metal. Fun to look into and take pictures and play around.

Giordanos deep dish pizza is excellent. Takes an hour to make it so be aware before going that it will take a while, but it's delicious.

Kids might like a ride on the L train. Above ground train in a lot of movies.

There's a lot of shopping on Michigan ave too for the wife.

Great city, people are very friendly and helpful if you get lost or need directions.

Never been to the USA myself but I hear that Chicago is a beautiful city. Whatever you do there, have a great time. :)

Thanks Rubecula. I'd never been to the USA either until about 6 years ago and had always thought that it wouldn't be for me. My wife persuaded me as she had been many times to various places, so I gave it a go and was more than pleasantly surprised so have been back every year since.

U.S. cities seem to have something that our admittedly grander and more historic cities like London, Rome, Paris etc. don't have. Probably partly due to the scale (NYC especially) and the fact that we grew up watching movies and TV shows where NY, LA, SF etc. were the backdrop - and back then far more aspirational than the grey and dull terraced streets or prefab estates where many of us spent our childhoods.

Don't know if it is true or not but I am sure I was once told that Chicago is second largest city in USA. So I am assuming it has an awful lot of ethnic diversity too. Should make for a great choice of restaurants for evening meals.

Can't be second I don't think; third after NY and LA perhaps but surely not bigger than either of those.

Referred to locally as '2nd city' by some though, harking back to a time before LA had grown to what it is now I suppose.

Similar to brummies calling Birmingham the English 2nd city when Manchester, Liverpool, probably Leeds and maybe Sheffield would all consider themselves to be higher in that pecking order, maybe not for population size but rather for culture, history etc.

Very wet here this evening, hoping it'll stop before we leave for dinner at 7. Can't complain about a couple of hours rain though, been 25 - 30 C since we arrived and will be good again from tomorrow.

Referred to locally as '2nd city' by some though, harking back to a time before LA had grown to what it is now I suppose.

Similar to brummies calling Birmingham the English 2nd city when Manchester, Liverpool, probably Leeds and maybe Sheffield would all consider themselves to be higher in that pecking order, maybe not for population size but rather for culture, history etc.

Very wet here this evening, hoping it'll stop before we leave for dinner at 7. Can't complain about a couple of hours rain though, been 25 - 30 C since we arrived and will be good again from tomorrow.

What did you have for dinner? Things like this are important to a foody like myself.

A rustic penne pasta dish with Italian sausage, white beans, roasted cherry tomatoes and garlic in a tomato sauce. Didn't finish it all as it came in a bowl about as big as our bathroom sink, and had already had a sandwich the size of a bike wheel for lunch and a breakfast omelette of 5 (probably dinosaur size) eggs plus pancakes etc. Portion size is way off in USA.

Kids had chicken nuggets again.

Yes the portions are massive over here. The idea is people want "more bang for their buck". They want to buy one entree and call it a day. Not a starter, salad, entree, dessert. Just one big plate.

That's where I'm going wrong then; I'm having all the courses...

Starter of bruschetta tonight was 9 large slices of garlic bread, each piled high lol.

Paying for entry to museums is strange as well, but then again I think it's the same in some continental European countries. The zoo was free though; can't figure that out either.